British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Split up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/split-up-665467/)

welshlad77 Apr 25th 2010 7:45 am

Split up

Hey guys

I recently had my residency through partnership <jan 10>But things have not been good lately between myself and my partner,If we decided to go our separate ways do i have to let immigration know?and could they revoke my residency as its been a short period of time? I have just bought a franchise and dont want to lose everything i have put into it,So its a bit worrying!!

Any help would be great.

Sarah1999 Apr 25th 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Split up

Hi
Since your residency is via the partnership category then technically you're residency would become invalid should you and your partner break-up.

I'm not sure what other options are available for you but depending on your skills, you could try and gain residency through other means.

You are technically on a "probationary period" when you first get residency under partnership and after having residency for two years, you have to still be with your parter to obtain PR.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

newkiwi Apr 25th 2010 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by welshlad77 (Post 8519792)
Hey guys

I recently had my residency through partnership <jan 10>But things have not been good lately between myself and my partner,If we decided to go our separate ways do i have to let immigration know?and could they revoke my residency as its been a short period of time? I have just bought a franchise and dont want to lose everything i have put into it,So its a bit worrying!!

Any help would be great.

I think NZ Immigration's main concern is to make sure people dont come to NZ under a false partnership and use that to claim residency. I don't know exactly how it works these days, when my wife and I applied for our Indefinate RRVs I think my she had to refer to my application (as the main applicant initially). I think it was something along the lines of "if you are not applying with the main applicant under your initial residency application, explain why"

Download the application forms for Indefinate RRVs and Citizenship, and see what they ask. Also, look at the letter you got when you were approved for residency, or read up on the Immigration website to see what conditions if any are imposed on your residency.

You should only tell NZ immigration about changes if they require you to, in my opinion.

I would also say that it would be a good idea to build up a lot of evidence to show your relationship was a genuine and stable one that has just deteriorated as these things sometimes do, and keep up a good and friendly relationship with your partner, even if you split up. You might need her help down the line with immigration matters so now is not the time to be nasty about the possible breakup.

good luck.

welshlad77 Apr 26th 2010 6:49 am

Hey Guys

Thanks for that, I have looked through the imm web site and cant find any information on what happens if we do split up, me and my partner are not being nasty to each other just drifting apart due to my long work hours ect so not sure what to do for the best really

Maan this isnt good situation to be in!!!

Sarah1999 Apr 26th 2010 7:27 am

erm... I'm no relationship expert :o but if you're "driftng away" because of long work hours then maybe you should stick it out.

pricklykina Apr 26th 2010 8:47 am

ditto..I'm no expert either but remember... moving countries is haaaard.
You become everything to each other and that is so much pressure.
I would say...keep breathing..try to find some other social support for you ...encourage him to do the same and keep talking.
we all have rough spots ( i was ready to string mine up two weeks ago until I had a rant in the "kiwi bar") but things are survivable
Remember why you came and what you wanted to get out of this

now of course you should scrub all of this if there is any domestic violence at all

Good luck hon...sorry no help on the visa front
(oh and you're welcome to PM me if you want to)

Sarah1999 Apr 26th 2010 8:50 am

feel free to pm me too :)

welshlad77 Apr 26th 2010 10:44 am

Hey thanks for that i think i will go and get legal advice this week with my partner and go from there really to see what if ect