special needs child

Old Dec 31st 2009, 1:58 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light
Question special needs child

hi all and happy new year to everyone. I'm new to NZ forum as we currently live in Canada. The reason for my post is that i am exploring other options for us as we may not get residency in Canada due to having a 14 year old with high functioning autism. Canada make getting residency really difficult using the 'drain on resources' excuse, which i understand but from what i've read the chances of us getting in are pretty slim. We have been in Canada for 2 years nearly and our twp is up in April so if our residency is denied then i need a back up plan so i am looking at other countries where we may get in. My husband is an electrician so could come to NZ in skilled worker category and as i understand it as he has Canadian Red Seal he won't need to sit the NZ exams but prove his hours and experience. I have a 17 year son also who if we leave Canada will have his schooling completely screwed up as he has another year left at school. So after a long winded intro my question is has anyone any experience of entering NZ with a child with special needs. He is in main stream school here in Canada but in the resource room with support and is doing okay. We know our son well enough to know that he will be able to hold down a part-time job when he gets older as i will job coach him. I currently manage a Day program for adults with disabilities and job coaching is something we do so i have experience enough to help him without the need of support from government. We know we will always have to provide for him and he will always live with us or his brother but Canada don't want the chance of being liable for him! I know on the medical questionnaire it asks about learning disability etc but he is not on the medical conditions that are not allowed in NZ so it looks to me that we should be okay in NZ. Sorry for long post but its best to put everything down so you have a full picture. Answers on a postcard please to:
Old Dec 31st 2009, 2:51 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: special needs child

Hi & Welcome!
Try doing a search on this and the main forum, there have been OP with related questions before so you'll find some answers, plus I'm sure someone with experience of similar situation will be along later....hang overs permitting!!
In the mean time "Happy New Year!" and good luck with your plans!
B x
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:04 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi & Welcome!
Try doing a search on this and the main forum, there have been OP with related questions before so you'll find some answers, plus I'm sure someone with experience of similar situation will be along later....hang overs permitting!!
In the mean time "Happy New Year!" and good luck with your plans!
B x
thanks, I have searched other posts for what seems like hours but only found one similar and it didn't really have an outcome so don't know whether they got in or not, so if anyone knows anymore info that would be really appreciated.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there.
Can I get back to you on this please? It's just that it is just after New Year and it's a bit busy homewise.
I've been around long enough to remember most of the posts & know my way around the NZIS Immy site reasonably well.

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 2:54 am
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there.
Can I get back to you on this please? It's just that it is just after New Year and it's a bit busy homewise.
I've been around long enough to remember most of the posts & know my way around the NZIS Immy site reasonably well.

that would be great Bevs, thanks, i appreciate any advice or support, whenever you've got time. happy new year Tina
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi
You could contact a few agencies here directly - Autism NZ are really helpful. Your son will probably need to be assessed by SupportNet who will then be able to look at options & supports available for school etc This will depend on his level of need & the more informtion you can provide eg medical diagnosis to them the better. I work for an agency who work alongside families , some of whom have children on the autistic spectrum.Let me know how you get on or send me a PM.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:40 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by bolton1
Hi
You could contact a few agencies here directly - Autism NZ are really helpful. Your son will probably need to be assessed by SupportNet who will then be able to look at options & supports available for school etc This will depend on his level of need & the more informtion you can provide eg medical diagnosis to them the better. I work for an agency who work alongside families , some of whom have children on the autistic spectrum.Let me know how you get on or send me a PM.
thanks for the suggestions, have sent you a PM bolton1, anyone else had any experience of this in NZ?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:40 pm
Onwards and upwards!

[QUOTE=BEVS;8211448]Hi there.

Hi Bevs,
just wondering if you can remember any of the post similar to mine that were successful and what they did etc?
cheers
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:51 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatcat65
hi all and happy new year to everyone. I'm new to NZ forum as we currently live in Canada. The reason for my post is that i am exploring other options for us as we may not get residency in Canada due to having a 14 year old with high functioning autism. Canada make getting residency really difficult using the 'drain on resources' excuse, which i understand but from what i've read the chances of us getting in are pretty slim. We have been in Canada for 2 years nearly and our twp is up in April so if our residency is denied then i need a back up plan so i am looking at other countries where we may get in. My husband is an electrician so could come to NZ in skilled worker category and as i understand it as he has Canadian Red Seal he won't need to sit the NZ exams but prove his hours and experience. I have a 17 year son also who if we leave Canada will have his schooling completely screwed up as he has another year left at school. So after a long winded intro my question is has anyone any experience of entering NZ with a child with special needs. He is in main stream school here in Canada but in the resource room with support and is doing okay. We know our son well enough to know that he will be able to hold down a part-time job when he gets older as i will job coach him. I currently manage a Day program for adults with disabilities and job coaching is something we do so i have experience enough to help him without the need of support from government. We know we will always have to provide for him and he will always live with us or his brother but Canada don't want the chance of being liable for him! I know on the medical questionnaire it asks about learning disability etc but he is not on the medical conditions that are not allowed in NZ so it looks to me that we should be okay in NZ. Sorry for long post but its best to put everything down so you have a full picture. Answers on a postcard please to:
Why not consider the UK ? They seem to have one of the best facilities for children adults with Autism.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:36 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by pgtips
Why not consider the UK ? They seem to have one of the best facilities for children adults with Autism.
we are originally from the UK and do not want to go back there!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sorry . Bloody bad manners on my part for not getting back to you as I said I would. I have given myself a slap.
I've only been able to quickly dip in and out of BE as we have a visitor at the moment.
Should have more time Tuesday if not before.