British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   sparky in pool (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/sparky-pool-549410/)

abelsolo Jul 16th 2008 3:26 pm

sparky in pool

hi everyone, just looking for some advice on next steps to take to get to nz we have been accepted in the pool and now waiting for an invitation to apply .we have friends in nelson and i have been there a few years ago and my partner flew out recently to check things out( which she loved nz!)i am a self employed electrician and from what im led to believe it may be best to travel out and get a job offer then chase up ita ? im also thinking of getting family set up there and i will come back for 3 months at a time to carry out my business commitments here and earn the extra funds for a more comfortable life in the first few years as i do earn very good money here as very established and feel it would be difficult to give up this for nz wages short term. i know the lifestyle will be hectic doing this but plan to have 3 months of on return to nz each time and spend quality time with family, any advice would be welcome and does anyone know the restrictions if any of coming back to uk after first 3 months of job in nz?

Soppydot4 Jul 16th 2008 8:40 pm

Re: sparky in pool

My OH is also an electrician. Have you been in touch with the EWRB to have your qualifications verified and to prove your experience? The least you need to be able to work as an electrician in NZ is a provisional licence and within the first 12 months of having this you need to do a regs exam and a practical exam to become fully registered and have a practising licence. To get a provisional licence you need to do a safety course and also have an employer who is willing to supervise you/your work. If you need any more info just ask.

BEVS Jul 17th 2008 2:02 am

Originally Posted by abelsolo (Post 6577293)
hi everyone,

Hi and welcome to the little NZ forum. Happy posting and have some karma to get you started.

just looking for some advice on next steps to take to get to nz we have been accepted in the pool and now waiting for an invitation to apply .

Congrats on being selected from the EOI pool.

we have friends in nelson and i have been there a few years ago and my partner flew out recently to check things out( which she loved nz!)

It's a lovely area isn't it. We live outside of Nelson in Mapua.

i am a self employed electrician and from what im led to believe it may be best to travel out and get a job offer then chase up ita ?

If you have been picked from the pool there is no need for you to spend the money coming here for a job offer. What you need do is make sure you send back a clear and concise ITA so the NZIS case officer finds it easy to deal with.

If you did wish to have a job to go to & then manage to obtain an NZ job offer, you can let your NZIS case officer know & they will update your file. An ITA may then be processed a little quicker to facilitate you starting work for the NZ employer.

An NZIS requirement for your trade is that you be NZ registered, so as Soppydot states, you also need to have been in contact with the EWRB with regard to your overseas qualifications and also obtaining a provisional license. (click the link to EWRB overseas quals manual download)

Please see some posts HERE. (click the link)

Talk with Soppydot, jjthefridge or alchris about this. They have all been or are going through the electrical registration process.
You should be able to attend the H&S EWRB course at NZIS London. Contact Nick Chandler about this. [email protected]

Originally Posted by abelsolo
im also thinking of getting family set up there and i will come back for 3 months at a time to carry out my business commitments here and earn the extra funds for a more comfortable life in the first few years as i do earn very good money here as very established and feel it would be difficult to give up this for nz wages short term.
i know the lifestyle will be hectic doing this but plan to have 3 months of on return to nz each time and spend quality time with family, any advice would be welcome and does anyone know the restrictions if any of coming back to uk after first 3 months of job in nz?

If your ITA is successful without an NZ job offer, then your PR will be open ended. You can work for whom so ever you please in NZ.
If it is with an NZ job offer, then most likely you will be tied to that NZ employer for 3 months.

With the idea of coming and going between the UK and NZ to work, you should be mindful of your NZ Returning Residency status during the first two years you are here. It could also impinge when you come to renew your first RRV for an Indefinite Returning Residents Visa. Your first RRV which would be issued with your PR would be valid for two years. As you know , you need to be here in NZ for 184 days out of the 365 for the first two years. You then renewyur first RRV to an IRRV if you meet the requirements and conditions.

Where you are tax resident plays a part. Also note that that the UK and NZ tax offices have a double tax agreement in place .

I think THIS CHART on the NZIS website explains it very clearly.

Please also look at the NZ Inland Revenue website & contact them about your plans to work and earn in the UK but apply to live in NZ as a Resident.
You could perhaps contact the NZ Inland Revenue Centre for Non-Residents to discuss your plans & the impact it could have on your Residents status here in NZ.

Calling within New Zealand 03 951 2020
Calling hours: 9am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday
Calling from overseas +64 3 951 2020
Facsimile +64 3 951 2216

Soppydot4 Jul 17th 2008 11:20 am

My OH was informed if you don't have your provisional licence (for which you need an employer and to have sat the safety course) you will only be granted a work to residence visa under the skilled migrant category. The only way of an electrician getting PR is having your provisional licence. Nick Chandler (the only safety course provider who comes over from NZ) was over in the UK doing the safety course at the beginning of this month (my OH went to London to do the couse) and I don't think he is due back before December. You don't have to do the safety course here in fact its much cheaper to do it in NZ but then you won't be able to get PR from the UK. Our CO said it was an absolute minefield for electricians and not many got PR (from the UK). I understand this is true for some other professions as well, i.e. plumbers and gasfitters.

If there is anything I can help with or remember to tell you then I will.

abelsolo Jul 17th 2008 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Soppydot4 (Post 6580357)
My OH was informed if you don't have your provisional licence (for which you need an employer and to have sat the safety course) you will only be granted a work to residence visa under the skilled migrant category. The only way of an electrician getting PR is having your provisional licence. Nick Chandler (the only safety course provider who comes over from NZ) was over in the UK doing the safety course at the beginning of this month (my OH went to London to do the couse) and I don't think he is due back before December. You don't have to do the safety course here in fact its much cheaper to do it in NZ but then you won't be able to get PR from the UK. Our CO said it was an absolute minefield for electricians and not many got PR (from the UK). I understand this is true for some other professions as well, i.e. plumbers and gasfitters.

If there is anything I can help with or remember to tell you then I will.

thanks loads for the advice everyone on this site is so helpful will keep you informed of events

BEVS Jul 17th 2008 10:55 pm

I should add that Leccylee is another sparky on this forum. He has been through the process and is now living and working here in NZ.

Leccy-Lee Jul 18th 2008 6:12 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6582992)
I should add that Leccylee is another sparky on this forum. He has been through the process and is now living and working here in NZ.

Indeed, Have the T-Shirt too ;)

I would agree with whats been said regards Electricians, Theres plenty of work to be had, i am not so sure of the more rural areas as i am in City, but from what i here work for Electricians is good countrywide.

I took the safety training in UK with Nick, Hes a great guy and so much help i would more than happily recommend him. One word of caution though which i found out, If you do the course with Nick in UK you will need to get a provisional license *within* 12mths. As although training is actually valid for two years from Nick, the EWRB insists that your training is valid for at least 12mths at the date of issuing licenses. I fell into this trap and arrived in NZ 13mths after taking Nicks course in London, only to find i had to do the same course again here as mine was not valid for long enough. Also it is actually far cheaper doing the course here in NZ (PM me for UK and NZ costs) when you get here, however of course if you want PR or a license before leaving UK then you will have to take course in UK.

Sadly it "almost" impossible for Electricians to get a license and therefore PR unless you have a job offer first, its a sad catch 22 i am afraid. Hence i came over here anyhow and then found a job, then applied for license, next did Regs exams etc and now all fully licensed, and even about to upgrade my license in November to Inspector i hope.

If you havent already, contact the EWRB and get your qualifications and Work Experience verified, as from my experience that can take some weeks (2 1/2 months to assess my experience i think it was). The work experience evidence must be very detailed or they will send it back, which if you have waited 8-10 weeks can be a problem! If you need help at all with the work experience etc, do drop my a PM, happy to help..

Having been through the Regs and Practical exams too, anything you need to know just ask..

jannick Jul 23rd 2008 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Leccy-Lee (Post 6583860)
Indeed, Have the T-Shirt too ;)

I would agree with whats been said regards Electricians, Theres plenty of work to be had, i am not so sure of the more rural areas as i am in City, but from what i here work for Electricians is good countrywide.

I took the safety training in UK with Nick, Hes a great guy and so much help i would more than happily recommend him. One word of caution though which i found out, If you do the course with Nick in UK you will need to get a provisional license *within* 12mths. As although training is actually valid for two years from Nick, the EWRB insists that your training is valid for at least 12mths at the date of issuing licenses. I fell into this trap and arrived in NZ 13mths after taking Nicks course in London, only to find i had to do the same course again here as mine was not valid for long enough. Also it is actually far cheaper doing the course here in NZ (PM me for UK and NZ costs) when you get here, however of course if you want PR or a license before leaving UK then you will have to take course in UK.

Sadly it "almost" impossible for Electricians to get a license and therefore PR unless you have a job offer first, its a sad catch 22 i am afraid. Hence i came over here anyhow and then found a job, then applied for license, next did Regs exams etc and now all fully licensed, and even about to upgrade my license in November to Inspector i hope.

If you havent already, contact the EWRB and get your qualifications and Work Experience verified, as from my experience that can take some weeks (2 1/2 months to assess my experience i think it was). The work experience evidence must be very detailed or they will send it back, which if you have waited 8-10 weeks can be a problem! If you need help at all with the work experience etc, do drop my a PM, happy to help..

Having been through the Regs and Practical exams too, anything you need to know just ask..

Hi Leccy-lee, just hoping you can offer a little guidance?

We have our flights booked for NZ in September and I've had my qualifications checked by the EWRB and need the safety course, practical & regs - the usual I think. I don't have a firm job offer but I'm working on it. From a timing point of view do you know if I need the provisional licence before I can apply for a work permit and if so do i need to do the safety course first and can you remember how long it took your PL to come through??? I've also booked in to do the regs and practical in Oct/Nov - what are the exams like - I've done the 2391 etc here?

I really appreciate any help you can offer as its beginning to feel very close to departure and I'm throwing alot away if this doesn't work!

All the best, Nick