British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Sorry, another work visa question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/sorry-another-work-visa-question-525989/)

Bonniewoo Apr 1st 2008 10:49 am

Sorry, another work visa question

We are receipt of a job offer which states permament full time so the plan was to apply for a three year work permit and then apply for residency once in NZ.

We are now a bit worried about how long all this will take, taking into account our medicals which are booked for 23rd April we would have ideally liked to have received our visas for piece of mind before our house sale goes through at the end of May and to be out in NZ for June (work start date).

Do you think we would be better to apply for the 12 month temp visa and worry about the rest once we're settled. If we do take this route do we need to get our job offer changed to read that the position is for a 12 month period only? :confused:

Any help please, have tried a couple of times to phone NZ house in London but can't get through to anyone today. :(

newkiwi Apr 1st 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Sorry, another work visa question

Originally Posted by Bonniewoo (Post 6141746)
We are receipt of a job offer which states permament full time so the plan was to apply for a three year work permit and then apply for residency once in NZ.

We are now a bit worried about how long all this will take, taking into account our medicals which are booked for 23rd April we would have ideally liked to have received our visas for piece of mind before our house sale goes through at the end of May and to be out in NZ for June (work start date).

Do you think we would be better to apply for the 12 month temp visa and worry about the rest once we're settled. If we do take this route do we need to get our job offer changed to read that the position is for a 12 month period only? :confused:

Any help please, have tried a couple of times to phone NZ house in London but can't get through to anyone today. :(

Congrats on the job offer. What type of work permit are you applying for? When we did our work to residency application through an accredited employer it took about two weeks after submitting the application. That was a while ago so not sure if timeframes are still similar.

lardyl Apr 1st 2008 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 6142102)
Congrats on the job offer. What type of work permit are you applying for? When we did our work to residency application through an accredited employer it took about two weeks after submitting the application. That was a while ago so not sure if timeframes are still similar.

ours were similar timescale, in fact may have been shorter and it was Christmas at the time.

We were stalled by the blood tests from the medicals that the lab screwed up, so had to go for work/student/visitor visas rather than PR which we got once we arrived.

Get the meds done and don't make the mistake we did of cancelling them all as the kids were ill. Kids ones (for under 13? yrs) are shorter as no blood tests or chest x-rays so can be done in a shorter timeframe. You could ask the clinic/doctors if they have cancellations if you need to get meds done ASAP for the visas. Or you could cancel and travel - we met people from Sunderland at our meds in Birmingham.....Good Luck

Bonniewoo Apr 1st 2008 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 6142102)

Hi Newkiwi

Totally confused now. We have been advised by an immigration consultant to send in the Application to Work in NZ along with our employers supp NZIS1113 form with no police checks or medicals. We were told that immigration should then issue us with 12 month temp work visas, not sure about how we do the kids student visas yet though. Do we go for visitors visas for them and then they get student visas once we land?

Hubby's job has a start date in June so thought it would be much quicker to go for a 12 month work visa with a view to lodging the EOI once we've settled. His employer isn't accredited and as far as we can make out, have never hired anyone from overseas before!! Any advice would be a great help :unsure:

Bonniewoo Apr 1st 2008 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6142177)
ours were similar timescale, in fact may have been shorter and it was Christmas at the time.

We were stalled by the blood tests from the medicals that the lab screwed up, so had to go for work/student/visitor visas rather than PR which we got once we arrived.

Get the meds done and don't make the mistake we did of cancelling them all as the kids were ill. Kids ones (for under 13? yrs) are shorter as no blood tests or chest x-rays so can be done in a shorter timeframe. You could ask the clinic/doctors if they have cancellations if you need to get meds done ASAP for the visas. Or you could cancel and travel - we met people from Sunderland at our meds in Birmingham.....Good Luck

We can't go for PR as we need to build our points up before we can submit an EOI. Hope we're being advised right to not submit meds or police checks so that we can get a 12 month visa. Also thought doing it this way round would save us some money in the short term as we would be able to do our meds at a later date once in NZ. Let me know if this is wrong. Many thanks

happynz Apr 1st 2008 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bonniewoo (Post 6143315)
We can't go for PR as we need to build our points up before we can submit an EOI. Hope we're being advised right to not submit meds or police checks so that we can get a 12 month visa. Also thought doing it this way round would save us some money in the short term as we would be able to do our meds at a later date once in NZ. Let me know if this is wrong. Many thanks

Yes, that is something you can do. As for your kids, if they are of school age (primary and secondary school, not tertiary) go ahead and apply for their student visas and include those applications with your work visa application. You'll save money at the get-go getting your meds done here in New Zealand.
When you do get to this side do be sure to have you children's vaccination records as you may need them to enrol your kids in school.

Bonniewoo Apr 1st 2008 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6143353)
Yes, that is something you can do. As for your kids, if they are of school age (primary and secondary school, not tertiary) go ahead and apply for their student visas and include those applications with your work visa application. You'll save money at the get-go getting your meds done here in New Zealand.
When you do get to this side do be sure to have you children's vaccination records as you may need them to enrol your kids in school.

Thanks for your help Happynz. Our boys are 13 & 16 and will both need to be in school. I'll contact our doctors soon and find out the best time to collect all our medical notes.

Do you happen to know where I can find the student visas application forms?

happynz Apr 1st 2008 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bonniewoo (Post 6144070)
Do you happen to know where I can find the student visas application forms?

Go here and click on the links for a pdf application and guide.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...on/default.htm

Good luck.

lardyl Apr 2nd 2008 4:52 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6143353)
Yes, that is something you can do. As for your kids, if they are of school age (primary and secondary school, not tertiary) go ahead and apply for their student visas and include those applications with your work visa application. You'll save money at the get-go getting your meds done here in New Zealand. When you do get to this side do be sure to have you children's vaccination records as you may need them to enrol your kids in school.

All fine and dandy if you are confident that meds done in NZ won't throw up or reveal a problem with any family members, then you would be stuck in NZ with no NHS and nothing to help you long term to get residence or long term visas..........bear in mind that public health here is slower than the NHS in places and you do end up for paying more - hence why so many people go for health insurance.
You pays your money, I suppose.........

rockape Apr 3rd 2008 7:14 am

I got a 12 months work visa within a week, when I sent all my doc's to London. The longest wait was the police certificate.

As long as all the paper work is there, there should be no problem. If your worried go on to there site and find immigration/London they give you a check list of what you need to get it sorted ASAP.

I hope this helps too, Good luck.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bsup::thumbsup::eek::eek:

Bonniewoo Apr 3rd 2008 7:40 am

Originally Posted by rockape (Post 6151361)
I got a 12 months work visa within a week, when I sent all my doc's to London. The longest wait was the police certificate.

As long as all the paper work is there, there should be no problem. If your worried go on to there site and find immigration/London they give you a check list of what you need to get it sorted ASAP.

I hope this helps too, Good luck.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bsup::thumbsup::eek::eek:

Thanks rockape. Finally got through to New Zealand house yesterday and they said because the job offer is permament we will have to still go through meds and police checks and suggested we go for WTR, which has confused us even more. The employer isn't accredited but mechanic is listed on the LTSSL, so hoping even though the job is off tools and a management role this won't make any difference.
The next problem is we haven't had anything back from NZQA yet so don't even know if we will get the required level 4!! Without this, can we still go for a WTR?

Will try phoning again in a bit once and see if we get the same answer.

newkiwi Apr 9th 2008 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bonniewoo (Post 6143291)
Hi Newkiwi

Totally confused now. We have been advised by an immigration consultant to send in the Application to Work in NZ along with our employers supp NZIS1113 form with no police checks or medicals. We were told that immigration should then issue us with 12 month temp work visas, not sure about how we do the kids student visas yet though. Do we go for visitors visas for them and then they get student visas once we land?

Hubby's job has a start date in June so thought it would be much quicker to go for a 12 month work visa with a view to lodging the EOI once we've settled. His employer isn't accredited and as far as we can make out, have never hired anyone from overseas before!! Any advice would be a great help :unsure:

Hi,
I think that if the work permit is for less than 6? (not 12 if i read the guidance correctly) months you dont need medicals, so yes if that is the case you can get a work permit and do the medicals later in nz. Not sure if the fact that your offer is permnent makes a difference, NZ house may have advised you but read up the guidance anyways to see if their advice is correct.

If your employer isnt accredited then it will be a lot easier if your job offer is in an area of long term or immidiate skills shortage. Unfortunately I do not know how to go about getting your skills assessed, I dont want to give out the wrong advice....

As far as student visas go, they are basically the same form you filled in, but there is a section in there for family stream, which is what they need to fill in.

Hope your getting a clearer picture slowly...