Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Son in Law is Kiwi - Can we get immigrate?

Son in Law is Kiwi - Can we get immigrate?

Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Son in Law is Kiwi - Can we get immigrate?

Our daughter is marrying a second generation Kiwi and they are looking to move back there from the UK and want to take us with them. They have a daughter born in the UK. Can´t find anything on the Immigration site where in laws are mentioned only "parents".
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:57 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Son in Law is Kiwi - Can we get immigrate?

I think that your daughter will have to be a resident for three years before being eligible to sponsor you. You could immigrate on your own if you qualify. If you have certain work skills you could find a job here and work on a temporary work permit until your daughter has the necessary time in to sponsor you.
Otherwise, you could stay with them on a visitor's permit for nine months out of every eighteen months.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
I think that your daughter will have to be a resident for three years before being eligible to sponsor you. You could immigrate on your own if you qualify. If you have certain work skills you could find a job here and work on a temporary work permit until your daughter has the necessary time in to sponsor you.
Otherwise, you could stay with them on a visitor's permit for nine months out of every eighteen months.
But would he be able to sponsor me as our son in law? On marriage do we become his parents?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:54 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
But would he be able to sponsor me as our son in law? On marriage do we become his parents?
I've looked at it and it looks as if you would have to wait three years after your daughter is granted residency.

I would like to be proved wrong, but I'm afraid that is the way it looks to me. Please see:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...onsormyparent/

and

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/

Good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter is marrying a second generation Kiwi and they are looking to move back there from the UK and want to take us with them. They have a daughter born in the UK. Can´t find anything on the Immigration site where in laws are mentioned only "parents".
As others have said, your daughter should be able to sponsor you after being in New Zealand a few years. You should read the information at http://www.immigration.govt.nz and see if things can happen any sooner.

Your son-in-law (assuming he is a New Zealand citizen, and the child is under 16) should be aware that as soon as your granddaughter is settled in NZ as a permanent resident, she can be granted New Zealand citizenship without needing to wait 5 years.

In other words, your daughter will have to wait for NZ citizenship but your granddaughter will not. Citizenship Office website has details: http://www.citizenship.govt.nz
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Been back onto the site and under the Family Quota for this year even my daughter and their child wouldn´t be able to get in which seems crazy.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:20 pm

Been back onto the site and under the Family Quota for this year even my daughter and their child wouldn´t be able to get in which seems crazy.
I think a visit to the New Zealand Consulate is in order. Your granddaughter should qualify for Kiwi citizenship as a matter of having a Kiwi father.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 4:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
I think a visit to the New Zealand Consulate is in order. Your granddaughter should qualify for Kiwi citizenship as a matter of having a Kiwi father.
Not necessarily, sorry.

If a New Zealand citizen by descent has a child born outside NZ, then the child is not usually entitled to NZ citizenship by descent.

However, if brought to live in NZ (just visiting won't do) with a permanent visa, then child can be naturalised as a New Zealand citizen without needing to wait the usual 5 years, provided child is aged under 16.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 4:44 am
JAJ
Retired

You're looking in the wrong place. With respect, try to look at the full details without jumping to conclusions too soon.

Spouses and dependent children of NZ citizens can be sponsored for residence outside the Family Quote.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not necessarily, sorry.

If a New Zealand citizen by descent has a child born outside NZ, then the child is not usually entitled to NZ citizenship by descent.

However, if brought to live in NZ (just visiting won't do) with a permanent visa, then child can be naturalised as a New Zealand citizen without needing to wait the usual 5 years, provided child is aged under 16.
Oh, OK. Thanks for clearing that up.