Someone calculate my points?

Old May 27th 2008, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice
Default Someone calculate my points?

Hello everyone

I am confused and completely lost, I need your help in calculating my points for skilled migration category.

First of all, I have an engineering qualification obtained in Saudi Arabia. Do I have to have it assessed before lodging my EOI? or should assessment take place after receiving ITA?

The second part is my points, please help me calculate them. I used the points indicator, but I am not sure about the bonus points. Somewhere on NZ immigration website, they said that you can NOT claim bonus points for qualification in absolute shortage, or identified future growth area unless you have a job a offer. Was that true?

Here are my details, I hope you guys can help

Work Experience: 2 years in Architectural Engineering Field in Saudi Arabia.
Qualification: B.Sc. in Architectural Engineering, obtained from Saudi Arabia.
Single
IELTS = overall band 7
Never been to NZ
No Job Offer

Anyone can help?
Old May 28th 2008, 7:51 am
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Someone calculate my points?

Hello Ahmadj and welcome to the forum

To be able to claim points for your qualification, it needs to be in the "List of Recognised Qualifications", which you can find here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ndguides/lorq/

It looks like Saudi Arabia is NOT listed, therefore, if I understand the rules correctly, you would need a full NZQA assessment BEFORE submitting your EOI. But wait to hear more expert opinions on this as I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not sure about the rest of your questions, but my guess is that without a recognised qualification, without a job offer, and with only 2 years experience, you probably won't have the minimum 100 points required to submit your EOI anyway. So I think the first step would be to get your qualification assessed by NZQA.

What does everyone else think, am I on the right track here?
Old May 30th 2008, 10:21 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try and help!

age = 30pt
2 years work experience = 10pt
You would have to get your degree assessed before submitting an EOI. If your degree is not on the recognised list then you will only get the 50 points if it has been assessed and you can give details about that assessment.

You can certainly gain points for a qualification in an area of skills shortage without a job offer - I have just done it! So that would give you 10 points. I read that as well when I was starting to fill in my EOI but there's a section on the EOI that you fill in and it gives you the points!

You do not get any points for the IELTS score, you have to be able to prove you can speak English by having it though.

So if you get your degree assessed then you will get 100 points which is just enough to go into the pool. The 10 points for a qualification in an area of skills shortage may well mean you get selected even with such a low points score.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Sue
Old May 31st 2008, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

You ladies are awesome

I will take the risk and apply for qualification assessment, then will send EOI.

Thank you
Old May 31st 2008, 9:21 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, may be worth you starting an EOI to check on your points total. It's always possible I've missed something that you can gain points for

It's free to start and fill in and it adds up your points as you go along. You can save it so you don't have to do it all in one go

Sue
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue R View Post
Just a thought, may be worth you starting an EOI to check on your points total. It's always possible I've missed something that you can gain points for

It's free to start and fill in and it adds up your points as you go along. You can save it so you don't have to do it all in one go

Sue
I started my EOI, and calculated my points.

Identity 30
Recognised Qualifications 60
Recognised Work Experience 20

Total is 110

You only missed the 10 points for work experience in area of absolute shortage
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:36 pm
Queen of the Underworld

110 points, even better

You should get selected fairly quickly as well since your work experience is on the long term shortage list