some advice please.....

Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold
Default some advice please.....

My cousin (who is about 30) and his soon to be wife (and 3 kids - all under 5) have been asking about NZ as a possible move in the future.

I've seen plenty of posts about skilled visa apps etc but dont see anything about any possible route for someone who is considered unskilled. Is that because its a closed door for them?

He doesnt have many qualifications at all and isnt in a skilled job. The only thing he has done of note is spend 2 summers doing camp america coaching "Soccerrrrrrrrrrr" to the kids. Not sure if he has any coaching badges yet but he is still coaching kids teams in blighty.

My question is - Has he any possible avenues to explore? Or is it a cul-de-sac?

I think he would fluorish down here and i could see him coach the kids at my local club down here........

Hope you can come up with some (realistic) options

cheers
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: some advice please.....

New Zealands immigration policy is basically in support of "upskilling" NZ. However, not to dismiss the idea, he should try a "points calculator" on the NZIS pages to see if he could be selected from the EOI pool with what he and his family have to offer.

Jan
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future

There are a million ways to get in. He could go to a technical college in the uk and do a 6 week plasters course............a bricklaying course or part 1 NVQ site operative.................any basci qualification. People who cut hair and who cook can travel the world...............can he get an nvq in catering?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zaras dad View Post

I've seen plenty of posts about skilled visa apps etc but dont see anything about any possible route for someone who is considered unskilled. Is that because its a closed door for them?
In a way. Yes. It would be almost impossible .

He doesnt have many qualifications at all and isnt in a skilled job. The only thing he has done of note is spend 2 summers doing camp america coaching "Soccerrrrrrrrrrr" to the kids. Not sure if he has any coaching badges yet but he is still coaching kids teams in blighty.
Forget the coaching thing.

My question is - Has he any possible avenues to explore? Or is it a cul-de-sac?
I think he would flourish down here and i could see him coach the kids at my local club down here.......
Your cuzzy is around 30 so he should be patient & look to work towards the long term future. I don't know what his strengths are but he should look to upskill himself & gain a qualification & work experience in an occupation that NZ needs/wants.

For instance:-
A degree
A trade qualification - make sure it is NVQ3 and above
Nursing.
Teaching - secondary.

At the moment that is the only way I can see forward.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:37 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john and julie View Post
There are a million ways to get in. He could go to a technical college in the uk and do a 6 week plasters course............a bricklaying course or part 1 NVQ site operative.................any basci qualification. People who cut hair and who cook can travel the world...............can he get an nvq in catering?
I am actually moved to say that the above is an incredibly poor post & shows nil understanding about NZIS residency policy and the needs of New Zealand.

All help is welcome but keep it realistic please. Read HERE what is and isn't required by NZIS.

Trades need to be NVQ3 or above. Years of on the tools is preferred. Hairdressing really needs to be management level etc.

This person isn't a carefree youngster who could just enter NZ on a whim or working holiday visa. He has a family to support.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:57 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

I would say to him Dont bother worrying about getting qualified to come here!
I have met many with UK degrees cleaning and washing dishes for a living in NZ. Skilled jobs do not often go to immigrants. I would not advise coming to NZ to anyone young. There is more career future in other countries.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:20 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweetweet View Post
I have met many with UK degrees cleaning and washing dishes for a living in NZ. Skilled jobs do not often go to immigrants. I would not advise coming to NZ to anyone young. There is more career future in other countries.
Not everyone would agree, me especially.

OP, your cousin is going to struggle without a plan, what about his partner? Does she have anything to offer?

Last edited by Catchafire; Sep 8th 2011 at 9:28 am.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 5:37 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

Originally Posted by tweetweet View Post
If he wants to bring his family here & become a permanent resident , then he will need to gain enough points to meet the SMC criteria. Period.