Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

So now I'm a resident... what does that mean?

So now I'm a resident... what does that mean?

Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:43 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So now I'm a resident... what does that mean?

For me, citizenship meant that in the future, whether my kids decide to live in the UK or NZ I can move freely between each country without having to worry about renewing visas.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
I got the same and it did say somewhere on the form that you had to have been a resident for 12months before you could register. I phoned them up to check and was told to bin the form and contact them when I had lived here long enough. I'm sure it also said that on the Chch ones that arrived earlier this year, though this time I could fill them in of course
Oh well we didn't vote anyway cos we forgot btw we are Waimak District council here, not ChCh.
Old May 12th 2011, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

After a 16 month wait we've just been granted 'Residence with travel conditions'. PR comes in 2 years time after we've shown a commitment to NZ. We've been living here for 18 months on a 3 year visitor Visa (Sponsored parent) leaving every 6 months. We own a house. What I'm not sure about is, are we required to vote. There was very little information came with our Residence Visa so I'm not sure what, if anything, is required of us or whether we have a right to health care and to transfer our UK Pensions to NZ. The Welcome to NZ booklet doesn't differentiate between PR and 'Residence with Travel Conditions'. It seems that we're in a kind of limbo situation.
If anyone has a clearer idea of what it means to have Residence with Travel conditions, apart from the travel aspect that is, I'd really appreciate their views.
Old May 13th 2011, 12:55 am
Old Jerk

kaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nice

Permanent residency also means when you renew your passport you front up at the Dept of Internal Affairs with $80 clutched in your hot little hand
and for that you get a nice official looking sticker in your book,now,how good is that ??
Old May 13th 2011, 3:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kaihoe
Permanent residency also means when you renew your passport you front up at the Dept of Internal Affairs with $80 clutched in your hot little hand
and for that you get a nice official looking sticker in your book,now,how good is that ??
Incorrect but an interesting, eye catching, post nevertheless.
Old May 13th 2011, 7:42 am
Old Jerk

kaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nice

Perhaps I didnt make my post clear enough,if you become a citizen of NZ then you can apply for a NZ passport and come and go freely,in my case I,ve been here in NZ for45 yrs,never bothered with citizenship and hold a UK passport which requires a Returning Residents Visa,I,ve had 4 of these visas and the next one is due in 2017 when my passport expires,these visas used to be issued by the labour dept,the poster of the first thread only mentioned residency.
Old May 13th 2011, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would favour your way and simply renew the Indefinite Returning Residents Visa every time our passports expire, because whichever way you look at it, it is an expensive lark. We have no means of likely ever being able to afford $470 each for Citizenship as well as maintaining two sets of passports, so we'll carry on with the blue stickers. The only advantage we can see is the potential means to go and live and work in Aussie and that ain't ever likely to happen.

I know many people who have been here a long, long time and never bothered to go for Citizenship either, they all say it is not worth the money unless you think you might like to jump over the ditch in the future.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:04 pm
Banned

robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point

Other than the fact that you'll be in an AMAZING country, you get some health care benefits, education benefits which you pay off to the government, voting rights etc.

The best benefit will be the opportunity to live in a country where there are HUMAN BEINGS!!!

Enojy NZ. AND CONGRATS!!!

Originally Posted by Sambellina
Hurray!!! Its taken 17 months from deciding we want to move here to actually getting here and becoming residents - OMG!!! Can't believe its happened!!! But what now? What does it mean exactly? What do we get (other than living in this fab country)?

Don't get me wrong I'm not interested in hand outs etc, but do we get free healthcare or do we need to get health insurance etc? Are there extra perks e.g cheaper mortgages??

Or, is everything the same as if we were on holiday... only we don't need to go home?

Obviously, I know we don't get to vote until we become citizens...

Love to hear from you all!
Old May 13th 2011, 11:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
We have no means of likely ever being able to afford $470 each for Citizenship as well as maintaining two sets of passports, so we'll carry on with the blue stickers.
Unless you are below the poverty line, yes of course you can afford it but you might have to save up over time and de-prioritise some other things in your life to make it happen.

You don't have to keep UK passports once you become NZ citizens. In fact, you have no obligation to have passports at all (if you say you don't have the money to travel, you don't need them).

A discussion of pros ad cons is here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...nd_Citizenship
Old May 13th 2011, 11:27 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Personally I would favour your way and simply renew the Indefinite Returning Residents Visa every time our passports expire, because whichever way you look at it, it is an expensive lark. We have no means of likely ever being able to afford $470 each for Citizenship as well as maintaining two sets of passports, so we'll carry on with the blue stickers. The only advantage we can see is the potential means to go and live and work in Aussie and that ain't ever likely to happen.

I know many people who have been here a long, long time and never bothered to go for Citizenship either, they all say it is not worth the money unless you think you might like to jump over the ditch in the future.
Really? I'm surprised by this post Bo. Each to their own, but I would have thought having dual citizenship would be a position many would envy? I personally can't wait to be a citizen. Maybe it's different for me because my kids are all NZ Citizens so I feel left out!