So... if I got a job offer...

Old May 1st 2007, 3:42 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow So... if I got a job offer...

and I'm not going to talk about this possibility as I'll jinx myself!

But say I got a job offer, and we're in the pool, not selected, with 100 points, how do I proceed?

I'm thinking - send off for police checks before we go, and get them sent to mother-in-law's. Change EOI status by putting in job offer before or after we move? Sell up and move there, then put in the extra 50 points for EOI? Or let the EOI lapse, then enter a new one once we're over there?

A bit confused on that, while we'd be "legal" to enter as I have a job offer,, we wouldn't have blue stickers in time, and I think it would probably be a really dumb idea to try to tell immigration that. ie. we should just go in for 6 months (me and daughter, and get a visitor's visa for hubby to extend his automatic 3 months to 6 - or is that unwise?) then apply while there.

ARGH!

If this all works out, I'd be needed by about the end of June / start of July. Any handy hints peeps? Thanks!

Last edited by Maz; May 1st 2007 at 3:46 am.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:22 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: So... if I got a job offer...

Well, not to jinx anything, but just saying you got a job offer and the prospective employer needed you in July...not saying it is gonna happen, but if it were...take the bloody job and go on a work permit! You can change over when you get to New Zealand. But if your prospective employer is sending along the contract, do it in the States, up to you. If it were me, I'd get over on a work permit and sort it out in New Zealand. It does seem to go a bit quicker when you can deal face to face. Your hubby would get an open work permit, your daughter would get a student permit. You'd then be in New Zealand workin' and stuff and with boots on the ground, a contract to show NZIS...hell, you'd be sweet as. You'd be over the 140 point threshhold and an ITA would be despatched to your doorstep.

As far as the police certs, you need certs for every country you've lived in for over a year for the past ten years. Seeing that you are currently in the States you best get those money orders in the mail and fingerprint cards sent off to the FBI in West Virginia. The Feds are kinda pokey.

But all of this is hypothetical, right?

Old May 1st 2007, 2:33 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Well, not to jinx anything, but just saying you got a job offer and the prospective employer needed you in July...not saying it is gonna happen, but if it were...take the bloody job and go on a work permit! You can change over when you get to New Zealand. But if your prospective employer is sending along the contract, do it in the States, up to you. If it were me, I'd get over on a work permit and sort it out in New Zealand. It does seem to go a bit quicker when you can deal face to face. Your hubby would get an open work permit, your daughter would get a student permit. You'd then be in New Zealand workin' and stuff and with boots on the ground, a contract to show NZIS...hell, you'd be sweet as. You'd be over the 140 point threshhold and an ITA would be despatched to your doorstep.

As far as the police certs, you need certs for every country you've lived in for over a year for the past ten years. Seeing that you are currently in the States you best get those money orders in the mail and fingerprint cards sent off to the FBI in West Virginia. The Feds are kinda pokey.

But all of this is hypothetical, right?

Yep still hypothetical. Thanks ever so much, happy! Hope all's going well for you in the land of opportunity.

Okey dokey, work permit sounds good. How long does one generally have to wait for those?
Old May 1st 2007, 3:12 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maz
Yep still hypothetical. Thanks ever so much, happy! Hope all's going well for you in the land of opportunity.

Okey dokey, work permit sounds good. How long does one generally have to wait for those?
completely agree with HappyNZ!
if you have a job offer from an accredited NZ employer then you can go over on a ' Talent' work permit, as long as employer can show that theyve tried & failed to recruit a NZ'er for the position, this whole process moves really fast...you may even find that your employer will do most of paperwork etc for you, if you started it now , would definately be over there byend of june/july you can then apply for PR via the work from residency category after the work permit...... but as stated earlier, this is all hypothetical
really glad your back on the board though, missed your posts
Old May 1st 2007, 3:16 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by ceri75
completely agree with HappyNZ!
if you have a job offer from an accredited NZ employer then you can go over on a ' Talent' work permit, as long as employer can show that theyve tried & failed to recruit a NZ'er for the position, this whole process moves really fast...you may even find that your employer will do most of paperwork etc for you, if you started it now , would definately be over there byend of june/july you can then apply for PR via the work from residency category after the work permit...... but as stated earlier, this is all hypothetical
really glad your back on the board though, missed your posts
Well this company had one contractor quit, and then aren't as interested in the NZers available as they are with me. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

And thanks for the lovely comment.

One upside of work to residence is that we wouldn't need to get the police checks done, I just checked on the NZIS website. I do still need to get my company's rather large and overwhelmed (HUUUUGE layoffs happening right now - including me) Human Resources department to send me a letter stating the positions I've held, dates & salary etc.
Old May 1st 2007, 3:21 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maz
Well this company had one contractor quit, and then aren't as interested in the NZers available as they are with me. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

And thanks for the lovely comment.

One upside of work to residence is that we wouldn't need to get the police checks done, I just checked on the NZIS website. I do still need to get my company's rather large and overwhelmed (HUUUUGE layoffs happening right now - including me) Human Resources department to send me a letter stating the positions I've held, dates & salary etc.
well then you'll need this hypothetical good luck karma
Old May 1st 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ceri75
well then you'll need this hypothetical good luck karma
best have some more hypothetical good luck karma too!
Old May 1st 2007, 9:14 pm
Maz

Thanks for the karma!
Old May 1st 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
and I'm not going to talk about this possibility as I'll jinx myself!

But say I got a job offer, and we're in the pool, not selected, with 100 points, how do I proceed?

I'm thinking - send off for police checks before we go, and get them sent to mother-in-law's. Change EOI status by putting in job offer before or after we move? Sell up and move there, then put in the extra 50 points for EOI? Or let the EOI lapse, then enter a new one once we're over there?

A bit confused on that, while we'd be "legal" to enter as I have a job offer,, we wouldn't have blue stickers in time, and I think it would probably be a really dumb idea to try to tell immigration that. ie. we should just go in for 6 months (me and daughter, and get a visitor's visa for hubby to extend his automatic 3 months to 6 - or is that unwise?) then apply while there.

ARGH!

If this all works out, I'd be needed by about the end of June / start of July. Any handy hints peeps? Thanks!
Hi Maz,
You can come in for a holiday for 6 months, get your job offer and then submit it to Immigration here. Ask them to forward your ITA to a 'friends' address in NZ as your here on holiday for six months and may as well submit your application whilst here. MIL did exactly that when we came in Nov and is now a resident. Dont give up.
Carole
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:32 am
Maz

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi Maz,
You can come in for a holiday for 6 months, get your job offer and then submit it to Immigration here. Ask them to forward your ITA to a 'friends' address in NZ as your here on holiday for six months and may as well submit your application whilst here. MIL did exactly that when we came in Nov and is now a resident. Dont give up.
Carole
Actually I've read online on the NZIS website that if they suspect / know that you arrived on false pretences, and are effectively in the country illegally when working, they can and *will* deport you. Not for me, thanks!

I'll get my work to residence before we get here, instead. I came the legal route to the US, and see no reason to go the illegal way to another country.

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes, to get the WTR visa, but no-one seems to want to go the legal route (believe me, I've had my fair share of illegal immigrants here in the US...).

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the sheer number of people on here who egg each other on to break the law is pretty amazing, to be honest!

Last edited by Maz; May 2nd 2007 at 12:35 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Actually I've read online on the NZIS website that if they suspect / know that you arrived on false pretences, and are effectively in the country illegally when working, they can and *will* deport you. Not for me, thanks!

I'll get my work to residence before we get here, instead. I came the legal route to the US, and see no reason to go the illegal way to another country.

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes, to get the WTR visa, but no-one seems to want to go the legal route (believe me, I've had my fair share of illegal immigrants here in the US...).

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the sheer number of people on here who egg each other on to break the law is pretty amazing, to be honest!
Actually we were told by Immigration at one of their weekend info things that we had no other option other than to go the visitor route. If my OH had'nt secured work we would have returned home.
When we were first rejected due to a points error we also felt there was no other way. We did'nt come out intentionally breaking any laws, just our only hope.
I seem to remember you were getting pretty desperate, i thought my advice might have helped, we are'nt all able to go down other routes.
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:12 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz

Hey, no matter. If your potential employer offers you a contract you would likely have at least a work permit. From that you could fly over, get settled in and then after a few months apply for residency. Surely with a job you'd be over the magic 140 points. But it is all conditional and hypothetical like, eh?
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:28 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Maz

By doing what? Arriving here and then looking for a job? Hardly crime of the century...
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:24 am
Maz

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
By doing what? Arriving here and then looking for a job? Hardly crime of the century...
It's under false premise. Ever tried to do that in the US? You'd likely get deported. Yes, it's called breaking the law. Tell you what, you get a return ticket to the US, and tell me just how easy it is to get in, and say "oh I'm just here looking for work, and I'll stay if someone offers me something". Then try it with a one-way. Please let me know how many years you get banned for from the US.

Happy, it would be faster to get a work permit (no police checks until we apply for PR, and the FBI is known for dragging its heels).

Space, they have no weekend things in the US, more's the pity! I might be desperate, but I don't want to break the law. We also have a daughter's future to think about. No point uprooting her for what might be nothing.

Seriously people, I really don't see the problem with getting to NZ legally!

What is everyone's problem with following the rules???

OK off to bed now, night all.

I'm really perplexed by all your willingness to flout the law. Yeah, I am. And "hardly crime of the century" makes me wish that people like AlbieLittle get discovered by Immigration and immediately deported. Honestly, you remind me of the illegals in the US. "Hey I'm here, whatcha gonna do 'bout it, huh? Huh?" Easy to answer: Deport you.
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:01 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Maz
It's under false premise. Ever tried to do that in the US? You'd likely get deported. Yes, it's called breaking the law. Tell you what, you get a return ticket to the US, and tell me just how easy it is to get in, and say "oh I'm just here looking for work, and I'll stay if someone offers me something". Then try it with a one-way. Please let me know how many years you get banned for from the US.

Happy, it would be faster to get a work permit (no police checks until we apply for PR, and the FBI is known for dragging its heels).

Space, they have no weekend things in the US, more's the pity! I might be desperate, but I don't want to break the law. We also have a daughter's future to think about. No point uprooting her for what might be nothing.

Seriously people, I really don't see the problem with getting to NZ legally!

What is everyone's problem with following the rules???

OK off to bed now, night all.

I'm really perplexed by all your willingness to flout the law. Yeah, I am. And "hardly crime of the century" makes me wish that people like AlbieLittle get discovered by Immigration and immediately deported. Honestly, you remind me of the illegals in the US. "Hey I'm here, whatcha gonna do 'bout it, huh? Huh?" Easy to answer: Deport you.
Oh my god...Sounds like you been in the US too long! False pretense

Maz, if you want it bad enough, you will come down of your high horse, book a holiday to NZ, and then while you are here see if there is a job you can do.

LuvleyJubbley!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.