So... if I got a job offer...

Old May 2nd 2007, 6:47 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So... if I got a job offer...

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
Oh my god...Sounds like you been in the US too long! False pretense

Maz, if you want it bad enough, you will come down of your high horse, book a holiday to NZ, and then while you are here see if there is a job you can do.

LuvleyJubbley!
Been there, done that. Thanks ever so much! Would have been offered 2 out of 3 jobs I interviewed for if I'd been available immediatley, IE. come over illegally.

Now... how's that one-way ticket to the US going? (please do try to take illegal immigration seriously, m'kay?)
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:58 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Maz
Been there, done that. Thanks ever so much! Would have been offered 2 out of 3 jobs I interviewed for if I'd been available immediatley, IE. come over illegally.

Now... how's that one-way ticket to the US going? (please do try to take illegal immigration seriously, m'kay?)
Why?
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maz
Actually I've read online on the NZIS website that if they suspect / know that you arrived on false pretences, and are effectively in the country illegally when working, they can and *will* deport you. Not for me, thanks!

I'll get my work to residence before we get here, instead. I came the legal route to the US, and see no reason to go the illegal way to another country.

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes, to get the WTR visa, but no-one seems to want to go the legal route (believe me, I've had my fair share of illegal immigrants here in the US...).

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but the sheer number of people on here who egg each other on to break the law is pretty amazing, to be honest!
Maz,

I think you are overstating this concern!

NZ is NOT the US!!!

It is NOT illegal to get offered a job in NZ while you are on holiday there! If this was illegal then NZIS would have all the people who go to NZ quite legally on the GB passport visa waiver program etc and get job offers deported and made to apply for their work permits from their country of residence, ie from outside of NZ!!!

As you well know, NZIS do NOT do this to people. Why? Because they suffer skills shortage due to the number of their young people that clear off to OZ and Europe, AND because of the drain of tradesmen to OZ for higher wages!

If you are in NZ on a visitor visa you are NOT there illegally. Someone who's visitor visa has expired and they do not leave are illegal. Someone who misrepresented the details about themselves or their qualifications, work experience etc on their EOI/ITA are there on false pretences and thus illegal.

No I think you will find that being in NZ as a Visitor and getting offered a job is most definitely NOT illegal, IMHO! NZ wants skilled migrants! Working without a work permit is illegal of course.

If its illegal then why aren't they deporting all the people who get offered jobs while in NZ on a visitor visa???? I don't get your argument, or am I missing something?

Dave

Last edited by Paladin; May 2nd 2007 at 7:08 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:04 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Paladin
Maz,

I think you are overstating this concern!

NZ is NOT the US!!!

It is NOT illegal to get offered a job in NZ while you are on holiday there! If this was illegal then NZIS would have all the people who go to NZ quite legally on the GB passport visa waiver program etc and get job offers deported and made to apply for their work permits from their country of residence, ie from outside of NZ!!!

As you well know, NZIS do NOT do this to people. Why? Because they suffer skills shortage due to the number of their young people that clear off to OZ and Europe, AND because of the drain of tradesmen to OZ for higher wages!

If you are in NZ on a visitor visa you are NOT there illegally. Someone who's visitor visa has expired and they do not leave are illegal. Someone who misrepresented the details about themselves or their qualifications, work experience etc on their EOI/ITA are there on false pretences and thus illegal.

No I think you will find that being in NZ as a Visitor and getting offered a job is most definitely NOT illegal, IMHO! NZ wants skilled migrants!

Dave

Spot on Dave. I think Maz is having a meltdown.
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:39 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Maz it's a lot easier with immigration here than in the States honestly. The US can be choosier who they let in due to population size. We (me & you) probably had it a lot easier with US immigration due to being married to Americans. When we were applying for visa's for here we could have gone for PR straight away but were told work visa's would be quicker so we took that route. It still took about 3 months for those to come through as everything got sent to Auckland. My husband did fly over here for a week to meet up with now employer before we started the process though so in effect got offered the job while here as a supposed tourist. Think about it who the hell would fly all the way to NZ for a week!!!!
We have since renewed work visa's even though our ITA had been issued, the hold up being the FBI checks. We got our ITA & then sent off for the police checks & you are supposed to submit your ITA within 4 months. It has taken the FBI 4 months 3 weeks to return the form with "no arrest record" stamped on the back. NZIS have been friendly & helpful & put our ITA on hold as they knew the FBI checks took forever & a day. It's cheaper to do over here too.

As for some of the comments you've received so far they've obviously never lived in the US or tried to get through US immigration

Last edited by cyndi; May 2nd 2007 at 7:41 am.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:00 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Ooh errr!!!!!! Ive just reread my last post, I honestly didn't mean anything nasty about the US being able to be choosier about who they let in.: It was just meant as size of population being able to dictate. Blimey NZ is only the size of Colorado so didn't mean to offend anyone. Think I'd better make the quick exit right now
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cyndi
Ooh errr!!!!!! Ive just reread my last post, I honestly didn't mean anything nasty about the US being able to be choosier about who they let in.: It was just meant as size of population being able to dictate. Blimey NZ is only the size of Colorado so didn't mean to offend anyone. Think I'd better make the quick exit right now
I don't think the US is choosy who they let in. check the number of Mexicans working illegally in Beverly hills, for example.

Illegal immigration is a huge problem there. The immigration laws are totally unenforceable, hence, worthless. If you can't enforce a law it's not worth having. Fortunately, they are going to do the sensible thing and have an illegal migrant amnesty.

As for going through customs. Well, I've been to the states on numerous occasions and never had a problem getting through.

But hey, why worry about what the states are doing? Who cares.
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:04 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Well bugger it. Jinxed myself. They only want someone short-term but are still incredibly interested "once we get over". Sodding Catch-22 again!
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:32 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Well bugger it. Jinxed myself. They only want someone short-term but are still incredibly interested "once we get over". Sodding Catch-22 again!
Really sorry to hear that Maz. Am sure something will turn up for you. Have just read through this thread and having just filled out our
WTR paperwork tonight and accompanying paperwork I just wanted to say you do need your police checks and x-rays and medicals. If you were to be offered a job with an accredited employer they do not need to prove that the job they're offering you couldn't have been done or offered to a Kiwi as their accredited certificate is like a blanket coverage in that they have already proved to NZIS that they need to recruit overseas. You can get your WTR visa within 5 days if going with an accredited company.
I know this probably isn't applicable to you today but fingers crossed the info might come in handy any day soon
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Hang on in there Maz! Some anit-jink karma to you. We are in the same position as you guys and understand totally, even if not illegal, your concerns of going to NZ without a job offer. We too are hoping to get an offer before we go, as find it a scarey prospect going without one.
Best of luck to you.
Old May 7th 2007, 9:04 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

But hey, why worry about what the states are doing? Who cares.[/QUOTE]

I care, I'm married to an American & have two kids who are American citizens, getting through customs at an airport is totally different to getting through the immigration process.