Smuggling in MUM!!!

Old Jul 1st 2009, 12:43 pm
Playing the waiting game

fluff89 is a jewel in the roughfluff89 is a jewel in the roughfluff89 is a jewel in the roughfluff89 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Smuggling in MUM!!!

I am applying for PR as a nurse and really want to bring my mum over too. She is 69 so can't get her own permanent visa. I'm a single mum myself and my daughter (4) and my mum are my only family. We live next door to each other here in UK and she looks after my daughter when I'm working. Surely we aren't the only people in this situation?
Does anyone have any idea about how to get round this?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 12:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Smuggling in MUM!!!

First question.

Does she have other children in the UK?

As you know, normally you need to be a permanent NZ resident for several years before you can sponsor a parent .
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:21 pm
Playing the waiting game

fluff89 is a jewel in the roughfluff89 is a jewel in the roughfluff89 is a jewel in the roughfluff89 is a jewel in the rough

I'm an only child. It's just the 3 of us. I kow the rules, was just wondering if there were any ways around it....
Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:33 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Insomnia Rules!!!

I've actually just spent the last 30 minutes searching through previous posts, but can't find what I'm looking for

There was a post a year or so ago that I vaguely remember about someone bringing a parent for just that reason. They were able to prove, I think that they were caregiver for their child, but I think they actually lived in the same household.

Don't get too hopeful, but it may be worth dropping an email to NZIS and asking for their advise.

Good Luck
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:54 pm
Playing the waiting game

Thanks for that reply, seem to be losing hope.
It's looking like we might all end up going to Oz as they'll have us!
It's crazy isn't it?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by P2L
Insomnia Rules!!!

I've actually just spent the last 30 minutes searching through previous posts, but can't find what I'm looking for

There was a post a year or so ago that I vaguely remember about someone bringing a parent for just that reason. They were able to prove, I think that they were caregiver for their child, but I think they actually lived in the same household.

Don't get too hopeful, but it may be worth dropping an email to NZIS and asking for their advise.

Good Luck
I know P2L I woz thinking the same thing, hence my Q about the centre of gravity. Someone DID post that they brought their ole Mum with them, prior to the normal time period.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fluff89
It's looking like we might all end up going to Oz as they'll have us!
No they won't.

You would have to be settled there for 2 years on a PR visa before you could sponsor her.....if she is eligible for a parent visa.

She would also need to pass medicals etc. and the visa is pretty expensive (around A$30000).

She can't simply move with you.

G

Last edited by Grayling; Jul 3rd 2009 at 7:26 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:33 am
Playing the waiting game

You're right Grayling. Just looked into it further.
Good God this is tough. Back to the NZ plan and ma will just have to do 6 month tourist visa then come back to UK and apply for parent/grandparent visa.
Hopefully i'll make friends with some other families and make some kind of childcare arrangements!
There surely must be some other single mum nurses...?
Problem comes when I need to do night shifts.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there something called a grandparents visa where they can stay long enough to be eligible for the parent sponsor visa? Seem to have seen this discussed somewhere?

Kristina
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested to know if you would still leave, if your mum could not accompany you? You are obviously very close knit and I am curious (read nosey ) as to what the driving force behind a move to NZ is ...
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:56 pm
Playing the waiting game

We're still going to go. It's a case of short term pain for long term gain really.
The grand parent visa is for 18 months out of three years so she's going to come for 6 months to help us get settled then she has to be in UK to apply for the grandparent/parent visa.
Any parents in Tauranga area fancy sharing childcare?!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of

The rules have changed re the time that you have to be a resident in New Zealand before you can sponsor your Mum. It was 2 years but you have to have been a resident for 3 years now - and then your Mum can send in her visa application (with you as her sponsor).

I know because I am waiting for a Parent Visa (sponsored by my son who is a resident in New Zealand). The rules changed about a year before we were going to apply which meant we had to wait a further year before we could hand in our application, which we did in March 2009 to the London Branch.

We then received a letter a few weeks later which said that it could be up to two years before they even look at our application and a further 4 to 6 months before we have a decision!!!

Loosing the will to live now. Keep counting off the days until husband and I can joint our TWO children who are resident in New Zealand.

Old Jul 4th 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute

Wow 2 years before they even look at it that's crazy - on that basis could you apply before the three years is up? Or would they not even accept your application.

Hubby and I are coming out to NZ later in the year but I am really really close to my parents as they also look after our girls while I am at work and it pains me to be so far apart from them but also to deprive my kids of their beloved grandparents, they are going to come over every winter for as long as they can and I'm hoping to persuade them to move over here after we've been settled for a few years....

will bear all this in mind and look into it further.....

Missing family is probably the single hardest thing about making the move - Paula I really feel for you and hope it works out for you.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: Smuggling in MUM!!!

Hi Vicejw

Thanks for your kind words - we also have two grandchildren in New Zealand, and one of them, Oliver, we have never seen - he was born 3 months ago. We use Skye and our son has dangled him in front of the camera so that we can wave to him and blow him kisses. Our granddaughter is 2 and shouts Nana and Grandad down the camera!!

You could cry your eyes out.

Unfortunately you cannot send in your Sponsorship forms etc., until the person who is sponsoring you has been a resident in New Zealand for 3 years - if you post it the day before - it will be returned and not looked at. So we waited a week after the 3 years before we travelled down to London and handed it in to New Zealand House (10.3.2009) is imprinted in my brain.

It just seems like waiting for something to happen - we are in limbo - I have just got a new job to take my mind off the long, long wait. Never thought I would be successful but I was and I am nearly 63!!! I work in the NHS. It keeps my mind occupied.

We have been decluttering, painting, decorating, etc., getting our house in tip top condition before we put it up for sale. Cannot do that until we hear from Immigration that we have got our Parent Visa's and then it is all systems go. People at work have said, how will be know when you have heard anything and I have said, you will know, because I will be standing on top of my roof waving the New Zealand flag shouting - we've got PR!!!!

We cannot wait for the day when we will hopefully be posting our message on this site as I will be bursting with excitement. I will skip up the plane steps.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paula2007
Hi Vicejw

Thanks for your kind words - we also have two grandchildren in New Zealand, and one of them, Oliver, we have never seen - he was born 3 months ago. We use Skye and our son has dangled him in front of the camera so that we can wave to him and blow him kisses. Our granddaughter is 2 and shouts Nana and Grandad down the camera!!

You could cry your eyes out.

Unfortunately you cannot send in your Sponsorship forms etc., until the person who is sponsoring you has been a resident in New Zealand for 3 years - if you post it the day before - it will be returned and not looked at. So we waited a week after the 3 years before we travelled down to London and handed it in to New Zealand House (10.3.2009) is imprinted in my brain.

It just seems like waiting for something to happen - we are in limbo - I have just got a new job to take my mind off the long, long wait. Never thought I would be successful but I was and I am nearly 63!!! I work in the NHS. It keeps my mind occupied.

We have been decluttering, painting, decorating, etc., getting our house in tip top condition before we put it up for sale. Cannot do that until we hear from Immigration that we have got our Parent Visa's and then it is all systems go. People at work have said, how will be know when you have heard anything and I have said, you will know, because I will be standing on top of my roof waving the New Zealand flag shouting - we've got PR!!!!

We cannot wait for the day when we will hopefully be posting our message on this site as I will be bursting with excitement. I will skip up the plane steps.
You've bought tears to my eyes.

We asked my mum if she wanted to come with us when we said we were emigrating and bringing her only Grandchildren away with us (Hubby's a Kiwi so don't have to wait before applying) but she turned us down, saying she was too old to start over again. She was 74, now 76.

Having got off the phone this evening from her saying she was feeling lonely and like she's "lost" the Grandchildren, particularly the older two really upset me. But no, she still wouldn't come to live here - for which part of me is grateful I add too!

As you say, don't mess up the dates as a story in today's Herald mentioned ... can't find it online so will summarise here;

Residency Ruckus - A British doctor whose only child lives in NZ had his residency application turned down because he applied 25 days too early. 74 year old widower, still working as a locum, applied three and a half weeks before his daughter was able to sponsor him. A new application now has to be submitted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.