British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   SMC job search visa electrician (lost) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/smc-job-search-visa-electrician-lost-839265/)

clint.bodie Jul 22nd 2014 8:34 pm

SMC job search visa electrician (lost)

Hi,
1st time post (please be gentle), got invitation and for applied SMC resident visa Sept13, just had final interview to be told that electricians without a job offer and limited licence can not gain resident visa (obviously missed this stipulation in research). 99% sure will be getting invitation of SMC job search visa.

To gain a resident visa I need to have a job offer and obtain my limited licence (need employer to sign off application).

was wondering has any body been through this,
as i see it I need to leave my wife 3yr old and 12wk old to got to nz, hopefully quickly secure employment as an electrician (with out licence) get employer to sign off to get limited licence. Inform immigration to obtain resident visa for family and then ask new employer to let me go back to uk to tie up loose ends (sell car, rent house etc etc and bring family back.

I honestly think I must be missing some thing and cant see the wood for the trees.
please any advice or clarification that this is the only path would be so greatly appreciated
regards
Clint (slightly lost in the trees)
ps sorry if rattled on.

Persephone Jul 22nd 2014 9:11 pm

Re: SMC job search visa electrician (lost)

Hello and welcome to BE!

We're [mostly] friendly;)

Getting a Jobsearch visa instead of a resident visa is usual in those occupations where registration is necessary but it cannot be gained prior to working in NZ. Pharmacists have the same problem and there may be others but they and electricians are the only ones I've seen on this forum.

You get a 9 month work visa on arriving in NZ. Unfortunately you only have 3mth to get the visa in your passport [once confirmed] and another 3mth to arrive in NZ. You convert to a resident visa once you have registration and have a job.
It's a pain as you don't have as much time to get over compared to a resident visa.
If you do a search on here for pharmacist you'll bring up some threads about this type of visa, there have been a few coping with the jobsearch visa.

I don't have a lot of advice really, it's not going to be as 'easy' given the new time scales you have. I just wish you'd come on here earlier, you'd have been forewarned and could have planned accordingly:( I hope that doesn't come across as scolding...
I take it your wife isn't happy dealing with everything from the UK alone? Having a 3yo and a 12wo is going to be a lot to cope with even without all the emigration stuff on top.

Are you willing to work anywhere in NZ? That will make finding a job easier. Another plus is that it will be easier to travel round to attend interviews and look for work alone. Not much of a plus, I know...
Good luck
P:)

clint.bodie Jul 22nd 2014 10:08 pm

Hi P
thank you for info, not scolding, just pointing out the obvious ref coming here sooner,
Do you have any ideas on turn around from applying for SMC work visa to appearing on passport.

now thinking six months between obtaining and using visa,
wife is on polish passport and can holiday in nz for 3 months, (with restraints, sufficient funds, return ticket etc)
So get busy sort all out this end and leave together (ish)
this gives me 3 months to get job, licence and residency visa's.
would that be a credible time scale or am i being (for want of a better word) stupid (thinking chainsaw against tramp through the woods).
cheers clint

ps just noticed received apology email from MO as my original interview invitation letter had the three outcome options and not the two now stipulated. (this part is a whinge)
1 Grant residency visa
2 grant SMC job search visa
3 fail

Persephone Jul 23rd 2014 3:49 pm

Hi Clint

I wrote that and then worried you might take it the wrong way hence the comment, I overthink things sometimes;)

I'm not sure how easy it is to find electricians jobs at the moment so I can't help you there, maybe consider Christchurch as electricians are still on the CSSL? There always seem to be a few electricians n the forum so you could consider starting a new thread in the main forum asking about their experiences.

now thinking six months between obtaining and using visa,
Not quite, it's 6mth from getting the letter informing you of the visa to arrival. You have 3mth from notification to obtain the visas and 3mth after that to enter NZ. I don't know how fast they issue the visas and if you are planning on using the full 6mth I would contact your CO and check with them as to when the best time is to send in your passports.

An application for a work visa must be made within three months of the date of the letter from INZ advising that the principal applicant may be eligible for the grant of that work visa.

i first entry to New Zealand must be made within 3 months of the visa being granted; and
ii the visa will allow work and multiple entries to New Zealand for 9 months from first arrival.
P:)