Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

SMC - done with CO interview. How long is the wait now?

SMC - done with CO interview. How long is the wait now?

Old Jan 11th 2015, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

joshbay84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SMC - done with CO interview. How long is the wait now?

After the interview with CO, how long does it take to get the Visa stamped on the passport (assuming there is no denial)?

I am based out of USA, can I get the visa stamped in the nearest embassy or do I need to send the passport to New Zealand ?
Old Jan 12th 2015, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SMC - done with CO interview. How long is the wait now?

Once the Co has completed the interview they make a decision on your application.
Next step - another Co must carry out a full audit to ensure the decision is correct and immigration have followed all their operations rules. This takes around a month generally until you are notified of the decision.
If successful you'll have around 3 months to return final levy fees and passports for the stickers. Once immigration receive these they are usually returned in a couple of weeks.
You will need to send them to your designated Immigration office where your application has been handled.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 1:27 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I heard in about 2 weeks though that was a few years ago.

Once you get confirmation that you have been issued residency then you have 6 months to pay the migrant levy and send in your passport for the stickers.
If you are issued a Job Search Visa instead then you have 3 months to get the stickers issued and 3months after that to enter NZ.

I applied through the London branch and there was a possibility of me being in NZ by the time I needed to get the stickers. I was told that I could do this via a different branch in NZ if necessary. Hope this helps though might be best to double check just in case. Can't see why it would be a problem though.

Good luck
Old Mar 1st 2015, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

joshbay84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys for the replies. Finally, I got an email about status change- and in the online portal the status is 'APPROVED' :-) It took approximately 7 weeks after the CO interview for the approval.

I am assuming that I would get some official email from the immigration department? Also - does APPROVED indicate that I have been granted a straight Resident visa as opposed to Job Search Visa?