skills in shortage and qualifications

Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Astrid will become famous soon enough
Default skills in shortage and qualifications

Hello everyone!
First of all I hope it's ok I am here (not being british) me and hub are from Denmark.
We are beginning to look into the opportunity of going to NZ even though our initial thoughts were on OZ, but we are getting more and more into NZ for various reasons

Anyway, I have some questions that I hope you guys can help me with, please forgive me, if they seem stupid, I am only in the beginning phase, and have used all my time so far checking out the australian visas;(

1. My husband is an Engineer (he will be the main applicant for a skilled migrant visa), he is either a civil or mechanical engineer (his degree states civil, but looking into new zealand educations, his education seem more like a mechanical engineer). The question is: Does he have to get his degrees and qualifications assessed even though his qualifications (A Master degree as well as a PhD degree) is from a university listed on recognized unis on the NZ gov site? (It is Aalborg University in Denmark)...????

2. I also have a Master degree from a university on that list, but no work experience in that field at all, hardly any work experience as I am taking care of my children, do I get points for my master degree at all, even if it is not a master degree in demand (on a skills shortage list) and I lack work experience??

3. Am I right in assuming that both mechanical and civil engineer is on the skills shortage list, or am I getting it wrong?

4. Am I right in assuming, that hub will get qualification points for having a master and a phD degree in engineering? and that these qualifications points are different than his work experience points?

5. And also points for any work experience in more than two years? (the work experience he has is by the way also within the field of his engineering qualifications)

Sorry about all this. Its just, than when aaplying for OZ visa, which we thought about, you have to go through a very exhausting assessment period, and it seems a little different in NZ.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:40 pm
CPN
Just Joined

CPN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: skills in shortage and qualifications

Hello, Hope all is well with you,

To answer briefly,

1. My husband is an Engineer (he will be the main applicant for a skilled migrant visa), he is either a civil or mechanical engineer (his degree states civil, but looking into new zealand educations, his education seem more like a mechanical engineer). The question is: Does he have to get his degrees and qualifications assessed even though his qualifications (A Master degree as well as a PhD degree) is from a university listed on recognized unis on the NZ gov site? (It is Aalborg University in Denmark)...???? - No assessment is required

2. I also have a Master degree from a university on that list, but no work experience in that field at all, hardly any work experience as I am taking care of my children, do I get points for my master degree at all, even if it is not a master degree in demand (on a skills shortage list) and I lack work experience?? - you will get points for your masters

3. Am I right in assuming that both mechanical and civil engineer is on the skills shortage list, or am I getting it wrong? - not sure sorry

4. Am I right in assuming, that hub will get qualification points for having a master and a phD degree in engineering? and that these qualifications points are different than his work experience points? - yes they are different and he will points for work and qualifications realtive to each other

5. And also points for any work experience in more than two years? (the work experience he has is by the way also within the field of his engineering qualifications) - yes

Sorry about all this. Its just, than when aaplying for OZ visa, which we thought about, you have to go through a very exhausting assessment period, and it seems a little different in NZ.

Hope this helps,
CPN
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:34 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skills in shortage and qualifications

Hi and welcome
No problems about not being from Britain!

Just to add to what CPN has written:
As the non principal candidate, you will only get 20 points for your qualification [which will not need assessing as it came from a uni on the approved list]. Also as the non principal candidate your work experience [or lack of] is not relevant when it comes to gaining points. All you can add to the points total is 20pts, it is the principal candidate that gains all the points.
The principal candidate will only gain points for his highest degree ie 55points for a post grad degree-cannot claim points for more than one degree.
And yes points for work experience are in a different section, completely separate to the qualifications. There will also be bonus points if that work experience is gained in an area on the LTSSL. From what I can see mechanical engineer is on the LTSSL but not sure about civil, may be worth contacting NZIS about this.

Have you tried filling in an EOI online yet? It's free to register and start filling in, you only pay when you submit it. That way you can get an idea of how many points you have.
hope this helps
Sue