British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   skills shortage list (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/skills-shortage-list-554864/)

waggy660 Aug 12th 2008 7:13 pm

skills shortage list

my job as crane operator is on the immediate skills shortage list for the whole of nz yet it doesnt seem to get many points on the indicator??how can a job be sort after yet not wanted?? i cant get a repy from any possible employers even though ive emailed and sent cv. seems like only way to go is on holiday then door to door , any ideas, getting bit frustrated now , grr grr

getmethere Aug 12th 2008 7:47 pm

Re: skills shortage list

Hi there

I'm not an expert (and am certainly not trying to justify the immigration regulations because I find some of the rules and regulations totally pointless and mind boggling and yes, frustrating) but I think the reason the immediate skills shortage jobs may not get that many points on the skilled migrant points indicator is because these jobs are not seen to be in an on-going, long term shortage so you don't get as many points as you would if you had a skill on the long term skills shortage list.

I think immediate skills shortage jobs can get you a work permit (if you can score a job - another hurdle). Many people have taken the risk to go over on visitors visas and have been lucky, but it's a risky business - a bit too risky for us right now with a young family but if we get desparate we may have to!!!!

Good luck - no advice unfortunately but hope it works out for you guys!!!

BEVS Aug 12th 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by waggy660 (Post 6673055)
my job as crane operator is on the immediate skills shortage list for the whole of nz yet it doesnt seem to get many points on the indicator??how can a job be sort after yet not wanted?? i cant get a repy from any possible employers even though ive emailed and sent cv. seems like only way to go is on holiday then door to door , any ideas, getting bit frustrated now , grr grr

It's mind boggling isn't it when you first start looking at the NZIS website.

I'll try and explain a bit . Let me know if I have written a load of old gobbledegook that even Einstein couldn't understand. I just hope I get this reasonably right. :unsure: Hopefully others will be looking in to double check.

As you know NZIS - New Zealand Immigration Service have two shortages lists. One is the Long Term Shortage List and the other is the Immediate Shortage List.

The first one is The Long Term Shortage list . This lists the skilled occupations which are in absolute dire shortage here. It doesn't list all the occupations seen as skilled by NZIS . It just lists those in absolute shortage.
For that list one gains bonus points for being in one of those occupations provided they have the qualifications and training to meet the standard set by New Zealand.

It also means that should someone have an NZ job offer, that NZ employer does not have to prove that there is no New Zealand Resident or Citizen to fill that vacancy. As the occupation is on the long term shortage list , it is taken as read that there are not enough of those skilled workers to fill all the vacancies in New Zealand.

The way this is monitored is by the New Zealand Dept. of Labour.

There is a list of all the occupations that NZIS see as skilled. It is set by levels.

Even if the skilled occupation is not on either of the shortages lists , one could still apply to come to New Zealand under the points system (skilled migrant route) provided one has the required qualifications and standards for your occupation as set by New Zealand Immigration Service.

If the skilled occupation you do is not on the Long Term shortage list, you would not be able to claim the bonus points, but you could still put in for PR under the skilled migrant category.

If you had an NZ job offer in a skilled occupation not on either of the shortage lists, then your NZ employer would have to prove to NZIS that there was no NZ resident or citizen that could possibly fill that post. An NZ employer cannot automatically offer you that job. The employer has to show NZIS that they have advertised that job. That they have training policies etc. They have a form to fill in and must provide evidence to the Immigration Service .

The Immediate Shortage list is more for the NZ employers than it is for us. It tells the NZ employer which occupations / job vacancies do not require prior approval from the New Zealand Immigration Service. In other words for any of the occupations on the Immediate shortage list, the NZ employer does not have to prove that there is no NZ resident or citizen that can take that job . Less paperwork for the NZ employer and they can offer the job to the overseas person knowing they are within NZ immigration laws.

With the Immediate Shortage List it is made up of two sorts of occupations. Ones that NZIS see as skilled and ones that are not seen as skilled.

For instance HGV - Truck Driving - is on the immediate shortage list but is not seen as skilled.
A drainlayer is also on the Immediate shortage list but is seen as skilled.

So HGV drivers cannot apply for PR under the points system but a drainlayer can.

With both occupations, the NZ employer can offer the job to the overseas person direct because it is on a shortages list.

Another way an NZ employer can employ overseas people is by becoming an 'accredited employer'. They pay a fee to NZIS and go through pre-checks of a sort to prove to NZIS that they need workers & will employ according to NZIS requirements. These employers are also free to offer jobs to overseas workers. Mostly the jobs can only be for temporary work permits unless they meet certain criteria set by NZIS. A person coming to work for an accredited employer can apply to be a Permanent Resident through the Work to Residence policy. They would have to earn $55K per year for a 40 hour week.

I hope that explains a little bit how it works. The immediate shortage list is not about points or the skilled migrant policy. It is there to help the NZ employer know which jobs need to be run past immigration and which jobs the employer is free to offer to the overseas person.

j19fmm Aug 13th 2008 8:12 am

Hey Bevs, I always get confused by the catagories, Long Term Shortage and Immediate Shortage. And then thrown into the pot...Absolute Shortage pops up but I've not found a list for Absolute Shortage. So how do you know if your job/skill/qual is in an area deemed as Absolute Shortage???
Phew, going to lie down now...:o

BEVS Aug 13th 2008 12:11 pm

:lol: Anything on the long term shortage list will give you bonus points for absolute shortage, provided you are the bees knees of course. ;)

j19fmm Aug 13th 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6675760)
:lol: Anything on the long term shortage list will give you bonus points for absolute shortage, provided you are the bees knees of course. ;)

Thank you Bevs :thumbsup:

waggy660 Aug 13th 2008 5:01 pm

so the best thing is a job offer from an accredited employer , is 55k alot in nz ?? how many points do you get for a job offer ?? ive done the quick questions on immagration web and i dont get above 30 , time seems to be running out as iam 42 now , perhaps retraining is a good idea ? but then i would not have the time to get experienced, i will keep on badgering employers from here and hope to get lucky?? fingers crossed.

summer99 Aug 20th 2008 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by waggy660 (Post 6673055)

hi you have to find the acredited list of employers these are the only companies that can get you in the only one i can think of is a firm called NAYLOR LOVE constuction they are on the list