British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Skilled Migrant vs Work Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/skilled-migrant-vs-work-visa-753487/)

BobH Apr 1st 2012 5:16 pm

Skilled Migrant vs Work Visa

Hi, my wife and I are planning to move over to NZ hopefully towards the end of this year. We've looked into the skilled migrant route and I think we're fortunate enough to have enough points, but we've also looked into the Work Visa route, which again I think we should be able to get. We're not sure how long to stay in NZ for, at the moment we're thinking probably for a couple of years before returning to the UK, but maybe shorter or longer.

What we're not sure of though is what are the differences between the two routes, both in getting them and when we're over there. Obviously, the work visa would only last 30months, how simple is it to extend this / get residence if we decided to stay longer? Are there any differences in getting rented accommodation/healthcare/bank accounts etc?

Any advice or tips would be useful,

Thanks

BEVS Apr 1st 2012 11:44 pm

Re: Skilled Migrant vs Work Visa

The skilled migrant policy is more for those wanting to emigrate to New Zealand permanently. It is points based on things like qualifications ;occupation; work experience & what skill one has.

Work visas are issued when one has an NZ job offer. The length of the temporary work visa depends on the length of the work contract. The applicants skill, work experience and qualifications should match the NZ job offer. If NZIS are satisfied with this, then they issue the work visa. It is job offer first before visa.

Persephone Apr 2nd 2012 12:02 am

Originally Posted by BobH (Post 9983570)
Obviously, the work visa would only last 30months, how simple is it to extend this / get residence if we decided to stay longer? Thanks

Do you mean the Work to Residence visa [WTR] here rather than a Work Visa?
They are different though both would require a job offer in order to apply. A WTR visa offers a direct route to residence if you fulfill the conditions whereas a work visa does not [unless you fulfill the conditions for a WTR or SMC after having working in NZ].

In brief [very brief!], your options for working in NZ:

Work Visa: temporary only, job offer first. Job needs to be on either of the skills shortage lists or your employer would have to prove no NZer was available to do the job. If you are on this visa and your job is deemed as no longer in shortage then you may have trouble renewing and staying in NZ once it expires.

WTR: Job offer first. This must be fulltime and pay >$55000pa. Must fit into a category-LTSSL, accredited employer, arts or sports. You are granted a temporary work visa which can be converted to residency once you've worked for >24m.

Skilled migrant: to gain residency, points based. You do not need a job offer in place if you have enough points though just having >100pts does not necessarily mean you have a good chance of being selected. More expensive and takes longer to be issued.

Business and investor categories: Can't help much with these;)

a-team12 Apr 18th 2012 2:20 pm

Hi
I am in the same position as Bob and - Persephone - your info was useful and as I thought.
I have a related query: if I were to get a WTR visa, can my husband also work in NZ? Also, I understand that he and my kids have to apply for visas separately (on the 'Family Stream'), but they can only do this once my WTR visa has been issued - is this correct?
This is a very confusing issue and I notice on this forum that some people are applying for residence as a skilled migrant, but also applying for a WTR visa at the same time (as it's quicker) - do you think this is a good idea?
Thanks for any information:)

simonsi Apr 19th 2012 12:42 am

Originally Posted by a-team12 (Post 10012457)
I have a related query: if I were to get a WTR visa, can my husband also work in NZ? Also, I understand that he and my kids have to apply for visas separately (on the 'Family Stream'), but they can only do this once my WTR visa has been issued - is this correct?

You and they apply together (all the forms in the same package), and will be approved (or potentially declined), together. If the prime applicant (you) is successful then assuming the other criteria are met your partner will be issued a work permit for the same period as yourself, normally "open" as in not restricted to any employer.

a-team12 Apr 19th 2012 5:39 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10013621)
You and they apply together (all the forms in the same package), and will be approved (or potentially declined), together. If the prime applicant (you) is successful then assuming the other criteria are met your partner will be issued a work permit for the same period as yourself, normally "open" as in not restricted to any employer.

Thanks very much for the info, Simonsi :D

simonsi Apr 19th 2012 6:45 am

Originally Posted by a-team12 (Post 10013868)
Thanks very much for the info, Simonsi :D

No worries :thumbsup: