Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Skilled migrant visa.What are my chances?

Skilled migrant visa.What are my chances?

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Jerraman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled migrant visa.What are my chances?

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and need a little advice.
I would like to get my self to NZ and thought I could use my plumbing qualification under the skilled migrant catagory? Problem could be that it is a basic qualification?

My background
I am 32 and have very nearly finished my NVQ Level 2 Plumbing Technical Certifcate, I will get my City and Guilds paperwork through by middle of May.
I have been working with a Kitchen and Bathroom company for over eight years now and started out as a fitter (with no qualifications), now I run the fitting teams and only go on the tools now and then. I have been to evening college for the last two years just to get some kind of qualification in plumbing (sorry this is going somewhere).
My application to emigrate would be just for myself, I would want to be located somewhere near Christchurch. I dont mind starting off as an apprentice if necessary as I know I do not have much in terms of qualifications but I would want to progress to a much higher level.

Ok now to my questions.
What kind of chance do I have getting a job in NZ?
If I got a job as a apprentice what kind of pay could I expect?
Would it be better to apply for a different visa like a work visa and then apply once in NZ (providing I had a job offer)?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:44 am
Just Joined

bop53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled migrant visa.What are my chances?

I can't help with information as to your qualifications, but one of my lads came here with a City and Guilds (motor vehicle maintenance) but found work in a supermarket. He arrived on a young persons working visa.(max age 30yrs)

My other son in his mid 30's, (mental health worker) just turned up as a holidaymaker, found someone who was willing to employ him in this field, and applied for a work permit from here. He stayed for 4 years before returning home last year as he was fed up applying for a renewal every year. But he was not allowed to work until his permit was granted.

I am a professional in the health services and earn between a third and a half less than I did in the UK. I find it a struggle at times.

Good luck.