Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Skilled migrant visa....understanding how it works

Skilled migrant visa....understanding how it works

Old Dec 2nd 2017, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Skilled migrant visa....understanding how it works

Hi there

I think I should be granted my skilled migrant visa any time now as I have sent my passport off which immigration say they need to endorse with visa stamps?

I am just wondering if anyone can give me some more detailed info about this visa?

How long is it until you can achieve residency and thereafter then come and go from NZ as you please?

Once I was to become a NZ resident, could I then go and live in Australia as immigration laws currently stand?

Many thanks for your help :-)
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 4:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled migrant visa....understanding how it works

Originally Posted by CatLady1234
Hi there

I think I should be granted my skilled migrant visa any time now as I have sent my passport off which immigration say they need to endorse with visa stamps?

I am just wondering if anyone can give me some more detailed info about this visa?

How long is it until you can achieve residency and thereafter then come and go from NZ as you please?

Once I was to become a NZ resident, could I then go and live in Australia as immigration laws currently stand?

Many thanks for your help :-)
You will need Nz citizenship to move to Aus, that will then give you various rights here but you will only count as a temporary resident.
However you can apply to migrate to Aus at any point as a British citizen, makes no difference that you are in NZ if you meet the visa requirements.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You will need Nz citizenship to move to Aus, that will then give you various rights here but you will only count as a temporary resident.
However you can apply to migrate to Aus at any point as a British citizen, makes no difference that you are in NZ if you meet the visa requirements.
Ok thanks Pollyanna. So saying I obtained NZ citizenship and then went out to Oz, with as you say being classed as a temporary resident, is the process to become a permanent australian resident easier having NZ citizenship?
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 7:44 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CatLady1234
Ok thanks Pollyanna. So saying I obtained NZ citizenship and then went out to Oz, with as you say being classed as a temporary resident, is the process to become a permanent australian resident easier having NZ citizenship?
No OZ treats NZ very badly when it comes to emigration, unlike the way NZ treats OZ.
If your ultimate goal it to live and work in Oz then use your UK citizenship if you can, you will be entitled to more government schemes than NZ citizenship affords you.

FYI - For NZ Citizenship, dependant on your initially visa you would be looking at either 5 years to 7 years as it stands today.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Yep it's 5 years in nz as a resident but id keep quiet about the wanting to jump ship immediately after, a lot do though.

https://www.govt.nz/browse/nz-passports-and-citizenship/getting-nz-citizenship/apply-for-nz-citizenship/#what-you-need-to-know