British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Skilled Migrant Visa - Declined (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/skilled-migrant-visa-declined-526220/)

necroscope157 Apr 2nd 2008 8:18 am

Skilled Migrant Visa - Declined

My wife and I applied in October for a skilled Migrant Visa, and we were informed that her weight, could be predjudical to the claim. We applied for a medical waiver, and added a letter from our own GP which stated that my wife's health was fine, and that the weight loss program she was on and had been on was going successfully. This made no difference, and we were declined yesterday.
:mad:
Declined a visa on April the 1st, how ironic. We are going to appeal, but my wife has a job lined up in New Zealand (Lower Hutt), and they are trying to help.

Does anyone have any ideas, on what our next steps are.....
To make matters worse, our furniture is in New Zealand, and our house is sold, in the UK, both my wife and I are un-employed, and doing temp work to cover the bills.:curse:
This is extremely stressful, and any ideas, or help would be appreciated

Does anyone know, if my wife applies for a work visa, can I go with her to NZ and live on her salary whilst we re-apply for the skilled migrant visa.

Thanks for any replies

necroscope157 Apr 2nd 2008 8:44 am

Re: Skilled Migrant Visa - Declined

Sorry to continue on, but some more questions....

If my wife applies for a 12 month work visa, she will not need to do another medical. My question is this, if we apply for a 24 month, is the medical bmi issue going to cause another problem. should we apply for the 12 month, and if so how do I (The husband) get into the country. My wife will be able to support me, but do i just go over, or do I need to be added to her work visa. I don't have a job in Nz, but work in the IT industry, and assume that getting a job, should be no problem....but as the sticky says a work visa, requires a job offer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul

BEVS Apr 2nd 2008 10:20 am

If your wife applies for a 12 month work permit then you would apply for an open work permit on the back of her application. We came in on work permits. It is still one form each to fill in.
Once that 12 month permit is due to expire , you re-apply.

During this time , your wife really will need to work at the weight loss and BMI . I assume that is your plan.

One question please -
How did you get your furniture over here & into NZ without incurring a heavy bond and gst charge?

necroscope157 Apr 2nd 2008 10:33 am

Thanks for the reply.....the furniture is in storage at the wellington dockyard, so no big fees at the moment.....

Regards

Paul

alanmacc Apr 3rd 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by necroscope157 (Post 6146310)
Sorry to continue on, but some more questions....

If my wife applies for a 12 month work visa, she will not need to do another medical. My question is this, if we apply for a 24 month, is the medical bmi issue going to cause another problem. should we apply for the 12 month, and if so how do I (The husband) get into the country. My wife will be able to support me, but do i just go over, or do I need to be added to her work visa. I don't have a job in Nz, but work in the IT industry, and assume that getting a job, should be no problem....but as the sticky says a work visa, requires a job offer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul

The only thing yo umight need to be wary of is the fact you have applied for PR but declined and you now want to enter on a work visa, they might see you as a risk of over staying.......... I might be putting rain clouds where ther are none but might be worth a question to NZIS for their thoughts

BEVS Apr 3rd 2008 10:25 pm

NZIS will certainly have a log and will keep tabs on the applicants. I understand that the rejection is undergoing an appeal.

As there is an NZ employer waiting for this lady to start work, I feel that NZIS would grant a one year work permit. There may be a proviso attached that any further work permits would require a medical. However, it could be equally so that she could then go onto apply for another one year permit.

I would rather imagine that as she would not be an NZ permanent resident nor would hold a two year permit , any immediate medical costs that could arise due to her BMI would be charged back by NZ to the UK under the reciprocal agreement. For doctors visits etc. she will pay as you go.

Residents and people holding work permits for a stay of two years
or more (and their dependent children) are eligible for publicly
funded health and disability services

Other work permit holders,
students, and visitor permit holders generally are not eligible.

People covered by New Zealand’s Reciprocal Health Agreements with
Australia and the United Kingdom are entitled to publicly funded
health care for immediately necessary medical treatment only. We
therefore strongly recommend that you have comprehensive health
insuranceforthedurationofyourvisit.Formoreinformat ionvisit
the Ministry of Health website at www.moh.govt.nz.

gozzy Apr 6th 2008 5:11 pm

Oh dear - I too am overweight and in the process of applying. Was beiginng to feel a bit nervy as it may be an issue 2 Obviously it is. Any advice short of dieting?
Linda

j19fmm Apr 6th 2008 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by gozzy (Post 6168530)
Oh dear - I too am overweight and in the process of applying. Was beiginng to feel a bit nervy as it may be an issue 2 Obviously it is. Any advice short of dieting?
Linda

Don't mean to sound daft, but when you talk about being over weight, who decides? the doctor ? NZIS ? How?:confused:

happynz Apr 6th 2008 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6168546)
Don't mean to sound daft, but when you talk about being over weight, who decides? the doctor ? NZIS ? How?:confused:

Something to do with BMI and some mysterious (to me anyway) blood test numbers, lipid counts or something like that.

Sorry Linda. You may need to live on no-dressing salads and break out those walking shoes.

Good luck.

Beetrooper Apr 6th 2008 5:24 pm

so how much should you weigh? (5'4" - lady?) its got me thinking:huh:

j19fmm Apr 6th 2008 5:31 pm

[QUOTE=happynz;6168566]Something to do with BMI and some mysterious (to me anyway) blood test numbers, lipid counts or something like that.

QUOTE]

Thanks Happy :thumbup: you sure NZIS don't have shares in diet/slimming companies in the UK??

gozzy Apr 6th 2008 5:42 pm

Oh dear, I'm 5'4" and weight just over 14st. Am pretty healthy and am doing a marathon (walking) for breast cancer in May - so average fitness but am overweight. At least if we are hoping to be out by Xmas 08 I do have time to get my butt into gear and lose some weight. Thanks for help. We are waiting to hear if my quals ar ok by NZQA? any idea how long it takes?

BEVS Apr 6th 2008 10:31 pm

Maybe this will help :confused:

NZIS Medical Forms - D2

BMI* In light weight clothing and stockinged feet:

If BMI > 35 in adults or > 97th percentile for applicants aged 15-19
years of age, or waist circumference of females ≥ 88cm, males ≥ 102cm,
arrange and attach fasting lipids and fasting glucose tests.

Weight (kg)
Height (cm)
Waist circumference (cm)
(for applicants 20years and over)
BMI (Weight (kg)/Height (m)2)

Originally Posted by gozzy
Oh dear, I'm 5'4" and weight just over 14st

I just calculated your BMI on one of those on-line calculators (click the blue link) and you came out at 33.6 which is under 35.;)

Ambrosian Apr 9th 2008 3:49 am

Don't want to put a damper on it Gozzy but using that calculator, I came out at under 35 BMI.

But using the figures the clinic had measured me at = 80kg weight, 152.5cm height, waist circumference 93cm they gave me a BMI of 35.

I think that I came unstuck on the waist measurement and I had the extra tests. :mad:

Good luck:thumbup:

scottishnomad Apr 9th 2008 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Ambrosian (Post 6180986)
Don't want to put a damper on it Gozzy but using that calculator, I came out at under 35 BMI.

But using the figures the clinic had measured me at = 80kg weight, 152.5cm height, waist circumference 93cm they gave me a BMI of 35.

I think that I came unstuck on the waist measurement and I had the extra tests. :mad:

Good luck:thumbup:

The problem with a online BMI calulcator it doesnt take into account mussle mass, a mussle ways more than fat. For example, one of the all black rugby players would have a high bmi due to there size, mussle weight not fat.