Skilled Migrant Visa Cost?

Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:07 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Migrant Visa Cost?

Originally Posted by tinalouie
In reply to Bevs, Its like there are obstacles at every turn. My son in law earns £30,000 per year in the UK as a mechanic and if he thinks he would earn less where the cost of living is more expensive and where he would ultimately be worse off, not sure anyone would go for that deal, like you said he would need to hold out for a good hourly rate.
In reply to Simonsi, details are:-
Applicant 1 (me) Age 48 / Years experience in accounting 15 years/ qualifications, AAT Level 1-4 Diploma & Cima E1 & P1 Management Accounting. I also have Sage Computersied Accounting Level 1-2, IAB Payroll qualification level 2.
Applicant 2 (Partner) Age 51/ Years experience 16 years in Stock & warehouse Management/ NVQ Level 2&3 Business Improvement Techniques, B1 Licence electric counterbalance Truck 1450kgs, D1 Reach Truck 1050kgs, Aviation security certificate.
Applicant 3 (Son) Still at school current age 15
Applicant 4 (daughter 1 ) aged 25/8 Years experience in hairdressing salon/NVQ Level 2&3 diploma in hairdressing & NVQ level 2 in mens barbering, plus GCSE's from school
Applicant 4 (son-in-law) aged 29/10 years experience as mechanic/ NVQ level 1,2 & 3 Motor Vehicle Apprenticeship, MOT Tester certificate
Applicant 5 (grandson) age 4
Applicant 6 (daughter 2) Age 22 (currently no plans to move) Works in Real estate on Lettings & Sales, Btec level 3 diploma in Business & NVQ level 2 Business & Administration. Plus GCSE's from school.
Let me know if you need any further info. Thats the full family members mentioned.
Thanks for all the info - as you've said you will all emigrate or not if any one member doesn't want to go then you still need to have a family conversation. Your Son in Law may not achieve a numerically better off situation just based on income vs cost of living. Thats a harsh fact of NZ life vs UK.

Moving the larger family over in phases sounds great but what if the kids in phase two find out something based on your experiences in phase one that puts them off? Do you return too? Its important you think of this possibilities as I don't see any cast-iron/easy (even relatively), routes to a visa. There are some good options but needing job offers and outside some specific roles (nursing springs to mind), it isn't so easy to get a firm job offer when you aren't in NZ.

Run your self and partner, and daughter and son in law through the points indicator as couples, run them through with each partner as prime applicant and see how the points stack up and which one(s) give you the best and viable route. Your 110pts we know about but as said earlier that isn't enough to warrant putting in an EOI without a job offer.

Given your skills and NZ-equivalence of qualifications I'd look for anyone on the accredited employer list who might employ your skill set and approach them, don't limit yourself to advertised roles.

Same for your son in law, especially with VTNZ as mentioned earlier.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

In reply to Bevs, Its like there are obstacles at every turn. My son in law earns £30,000 per year in the UK as a mechanic and if he thinks he would earn less where the cost of living is more expensive and where he would ultimately be worse off, not sure anyone would go for that deal, like you said he would need to hold out for a good hourly rate
To be clear here. He would not be able to negotiate a rate of pay as such. He would need to be mindful that the rate of pay offered was the same as or over the $25.50 ph threshold. This is what is considered to be the average going rate for this occupation & a living wage. Bearing in mind he would not be kiwi trained with kiwi work experience, he would likely not be started at a going rate but rather a trial period rate.

Applicant 1 (me) Age 48 / Years experience in accounting 15 years/ qualifications, AAT Level 1-4 Diploma & Cima E1 & P1 Management Accounting. I also have Sage Computersied Accounting Level 1-2, IAB Payroll qualification level 2.
Please talk to the institute that I linked to in an earlier post. Overseas qualifications & work experience must be a match for the job offer. The quals must be at the same level as the NZ equivalent. You need to know what level your assorted quals come in at.
The payroll quals will be of little use here. They use MYOB and the like.

With accountancy it is usually expected the quals to be at bachelor degree level. I may be mis-reading but your quals seem to be diploma level .Even then there are exams to convert, especially re. taxation.

Do you hold a degree ?

BTW simonsi. Nursing is not in shortage these days and some nurses are being kept on short contracts which means those from overseas cannot do other than keep uplifting temp work permits. Same happened to teacher a while go as that came off the shortages lists.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:41 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
BTW simonsi. Nursing is not in shortage these days and some nurses are being kept on short contracts which means those from overseas cannot do other than keep uplifting temp work permits. Same happened to teacher a while go as that came off the shortages lists.
Yep good catch, I was trying to use it as one of the few hiring-while-out-of-NZ examples irrespective of visa type.

The CIMA qualification <seems> to be accepted as a BA equivalent but OP needs to confirm.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:35 am
`

Originally Posted by simonsi
I was trying to use it as one of the few hiring-while-out-of-NZ examples irrespective of visa type.
Doctors perhaps?

There isn't much at all on the long term shortage list at the moment. Just had a browse through as stuck inside what with the cyclone storm.

However I wonder how versatile the mechanic the son/SIL is .

Do his quals stretch to diesel mechanic . You never know.

Originally Posted by LTSSL
Diesel Motor Mechanic (including Heavy Vehicle Inspector) (321212)
Old Feb 1st 2018, 1:49 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by BEVS
Do his quals stretch to diesel mechanic . You never know.
Maybe, his NVQ might be comparable to this:

Qualification Overview

There is a course content doc on that page he could use to self-assess against his NVQ - NVQ doesn't seem petrol or diesel-specific so it may be a pathway to NZ Diesel Mechanic...couldn't see if NZQA have already assessed the UK NVQ but I'd be surprised if they haven't...
Old Feb 1st 2018, 2:08 am
`

Originally Posted by simonsi
Maybe, his NVQ might be comparable to this:

Qualification Overview

There is a course content doc on that page he could use to self-assess against his NVQ - NVQ doesn't seem petrol or diesel-specific so it may be a pathway to NZ Diesel Mechanic...couldn't see if NZQA have already assessed the UK NVQ but I'd be surprised if they haven't...
For the trade he would need to come in at NZQA level 4. Normally this is C&G/NVQ level 3 ( advanced) and above. It depends also on the UK awarding body.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

tinalouie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both once again for your insight. My son in law can work on diesel cars and vans but not HGV's .. from what you have said its not going to be easy but not impossible, so there is still a glimmer of hope but I must reside myself to the fact that a move there is now most unlikely. I feel very sad now as I thought it would be much easier but at least I am no longer deluded and have not been ripped off in the process so I thank you all for that. I wish the UK had such stringent policies in place then I wouldn't be so keen to leave here.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

The OP doesn't have the full CIMA qualification, and has another eight papers to take, plus needs to submit a work experience log which needs to be signed off by three referees and a CIMA moderating panel.
An MAAT can claim to be Diploma qualified (Level 5), but Accounting Technicians aren't held in great esteem over here, most jobs ask for NZ Chartered or equivalent.

To the OP, the UK has policies that are more stringent than NZ. When we first came here, we could get visas to NZ, but our same level of education/employment wouldn't have allowed us entry to the UK if we weren't already British citizens. I've know a number of people here who couldn't extend their UK work visas, or couldn't get them in the first place. See if you meet the criteria here.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Most companies in the UK ask for part qualified CIMA and offer study packages with the job. They also consider qualified by experience people. The AAT level 4 is equivalent to a 1st year degree and I have a CIMA exemption certificate for their first level 'CIMA Business Accounting'. I am currently half way through the Operational Level to gain the letters CIMA DIP MA and only need to complete another 2 exams.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Most companies in the UK ask for part qualified CIMA and offer study packages with the job. They also consider qualified by experience people. The AAT level 4 is equivalent to a 1st year degree and I have a CIMA exemption certificate for their first level 'CIMA Business Accounting'. I am currently half way through the Operational Level to gain the letters CIMA DIP MA and only need to complete another 2 exams.
Whilst it may sting a bit, being qualified by experience doesn't count for anything over here; even the most low level accounting roles are looking for a degree and post grad CA qualification. I know fully qualified CAs that are working in Accounts Receivable and Payables roles. Study packages would only be in the big four accounting firms and possibly Audit New Zealand.

New Zealand businesses simply don't invest in people, they expect you to come fully qualified; they're not going to 'waste' a cent on professional development as they fear any progression and they'd hate to think you'll go and get a better job overseas.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 12:50 am
`

Originally Posted by janiejones
To the OP, the UK has policies that are more stringent than NZ.
It does. I rather felt the OP was referring to the free movement of people within the EU or perhaps refugees. I may also be barking up the wrong tree.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

In seven years, I've only come across two "Bush Accountants" (qualified by experience), and both of those had been in the same organisation for a long time. I also saw one of them lose their job during a restructure, because they didn't have the magic letters CA. As Bojangles pointed out, I've got colleagues doing AR/AP that have accountancy degrees, and CAs in entry level accountancy jobs.

I mentor CIMA students, so know about the designations, but to honest, I spend a lot of my time explaining that I'm a Chartered Management Accountant, as I get blank looks if I say I'm CIMA qualified. So the Dip MA and Adv. Dip MA really weren't worth shouting about. What did go down well with interview panels was the fact that I was actively self-studying and they seemed to appreciate that there was a Case Study at each level.

People can get training packages outside of the big four and Audit NZ, but they are solely focused on the local Institute, and require an honours degree in accountancy to even be considered. I got my exam and course fees reimbursed, but had to take annual leave to take exams as I wasn't doing the official CA course.

Tinalouie, you're coming from a similar place to me qualification wise, I was an MAAT when I arrived here. I had every intention to convert to the local AT after two years of knowing a CA, but when I enquired about converting my diploma equivalent AAT into degree cross credits, the local institute said that couldn't be done, and I needed to do a degree from scratch. Yeah, nah. Hence distance learning with CIMA.

When we were preparing to move, I found that if I got a recruitment advisor who was from, or who did their OE in the UK, they were immediately interested in the fact that I had current AAT membership, as that was a benchmark of quality. This was a great help getting my first job, but that was at an entry level, and I had to work my way back up.
So on your CV sell your AAT membership, and the fact that you're actively studying. You can contact Hays in London, who might be able to hook you up with a local agent who can give you some more advice.

And apologies for the essay, I obviously have some feelings about the local institute!

Last edited by janiejones; Feb 3rd 2018 at 4:38 am. Reason: Explain the essay!
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks I will bear all your points in mind ... I find it unbelievable that you have to be fully qualified in preparing financial statements & reports, budget reporting, cost accounting, tax assisting, variance analysis reporting, cash flow forecasting etc just to do an AP/AR role, thats is just crazy and I don't believe for one minute that all employers expect this from you ... obviously when the time comes to apply for roles next year I will see for myself but I was told at the NZ show that any level of CIMA is an entry level which makes more sense to me.
Thanks for your post though, I am certainly going to be prepared to expect very little.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I will bear all your points in mind ... I find it unbelievable that you have to be fully qualified in preparing financial statements & reports, budget reporting, cost accounting, tax assisting, variance analysis reporting, cash flow forecasting etc just to do an AP/AR role, thats is just crazy and I don't believe for one minute that all employers expect this from you ...
Sorry if it seems harsh but you have to consider your age also; I guess it depends on what sector of the market and part of the country you are hoping to get into but I think you will struggle in this highly competitive market where there is no shortage of young qualified accountants available from China, India and elsewhere in the world who will do entry level jobs just to get a foot in the door. Same reason we have Doctors driving taxis.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 10:20 pm
`

I find it unbelievable that you have to be fully qualified in preparing financial statements & reports, budget reporting, cost accounting, tax assisting, variance analysis reporting, cash flow forecasting etc just to do an AP/AR role, thats is just crazy and I don't believe for one minute that all employers expect this from you
It may not be about employer expectation.
It is that there is no shortage at all of fully qualified people in this occupation.
If anything there will be a surfeit with many people chasing few quality jobs.
So employers are free to pick from the top & qualified people needing work will take up any accounting roles just to gain an income & hopefully get a foot in the door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.