British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Skilled Migrant - time in employment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/skilled-migrant-time-employment-804520/)

MrsGreen2013 Jul 30th 2013 9:13 am

Skilled Migrant - time in employment

Morning All,

I will be coming to NZ in Feb under the skilled migrant category (fingers crossed) I am aware that the conditions of the visa are to stay for 3 months with your employer, I of course plan on staying for longer than that and would anticipate 12-24 months to at least settle myself.

However, If after the 3 months I had the opportunity to buy my own business would this be feasible or does anyone know if we have to continue to be 'employed' in the role for which our SMC visa was awarded?

I am sorry if this question has been asked already

Best

Sarah

MrsFychan Jul 30th 2013 9:42 am

Re: Skilled Migrant - time in employment

thought from the other post you are coming over on BUNAC??

MrsGreen2013 Jul 30th 2013 9:53 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10826305)
thought from the other post you are coming over on BUNAC??

yes i confuse myself sometimes - I have the BUNAC working hol visa but as soon as I gain my job offer I will submit my EOI, just depends if I am lucky enough to be able to get offered a job before I come.

If not then I will come over and apply in location.

I was advised that although its another expense that having the BUNAC visa would help as I can apply for jobs and come over at a moments notice if I need to without having to wait for the Skilled Migrant visas to come through.

Think i need a coffee! too many 'if this' and 'if thats'!!:blink:

MrsFychan Jul 30th 2013 9:58 am

so what is your timeline on the BUNAC visa.

as for the 3mths timeline in a job I think you have to inform Immigration if you change jobs but not sure but think I did read somewhere on here that you do.

maybe do an advance search on it

MrsGreen2013 Jul 30th 2013 10:04 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10826349)
so what is your timeline on the BUNAC visa.

as for the 3mths timeline in a job I think you have to inform Immigration if you change jobs but not sure but think I did read somewhere on here that you do.

maybe do an advance search on it

I have until 4th March to enter New Zealand and then 12 months to work in any employment - so yes I think it is tight to find a job and get the paperwork done for Skilled Migrant but hopefully if I can pull out all of the stops over here before I go I can at least make some contacts before I land and hit the ground running even set up interviews. I will be applying for PA / Office Manager roles and willing to go anywhere so hopefully I will get something.

I have kiwi relatives in ChCh but it may sound crazy I want to try and do this by myself and not to have to rely on them using their business contacts to help me.

Just going to research as much as I can now, get my CV done ready.

p.s I hope your son is ok - sorry to hear that news :(

MrsFychan Jul 30th 2013 10:34 am

Originally Posted by MrsGreen2013 (Post 10826360)
p.s I hope your son is ok - sorry to hear that news :(

thank you. bit frustrating as his operation has been cancelled twice now.

As for finding work over here, lot of it does depend on who you know so if you have contacts that could help you get a job USE them, seriously

Persephone Jul 30th 2013 4:03 pm

I understand you not wanting to use your contacts but it is a very good way of finding work over here and is often how it works:(
My job is in short supply so I had no problems finding work through just sending out my CV but I'm not sure how effective that will be for you. You've got plenty of time to try!

If you apply under the SMC with points awarded for a job offer then you have to work in that job for at least three months. S49 conditions are attached to your visa and can only be removed once you've worked for this amount of time. I answered something about this on a thread recently:confused: Strange!
You can change jobs in this time but the new job offer must fit the same criteria for points that the previous one did. As such NZIS would need to know.
Once you've done the minimum, you get the conditions removed and theoretically you can do whatever you want, no need to inform NZIS of your employment details. I can think of no reason why you couldn't open a business.

For obvious reasons work and WTR visas are different.

ellenarosemary Jul 31st 2013 2:01 am

As Persephone says once you get the restriction removed from your passport you can do what you like, the only thing then is to be in the country 184 days of each of the next 2 years to get the travel restrictions removed from your visa.

You don't need to inform anyone if you change jobs after this 3 month period.