British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Skilled Migrant Processing Times? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/skilled-migrant-processing-times-323626/)

RD1 Sep 1st 2005 10:03 pm

Skilled Migrant Processing Times?

apologies for posting this here as well as the immigration forum but most of the NZ experience seems to hang out here.
I have now submitted my application for residence under the skilled migrant category, I do not yet have a job offer.

I'd really like to know if anyone knows how long I will likely have to wait for the visa process to run its course. Could it really take as long long as the 6 months the NZIS website says it could?

I am actively looking for work, however I had the idea that it would be much easier to get a job when I already had a visa. I am quite capable of supporting myself in NZ until I get a job and even have a place to stay.

be honest with me, could it be that bad :(

Rich

pixi-dust Sep 1st 2005 10:06 pm

Re: Skilled Migrant Processing Times?

Originally Posted by RD1
apologies for posting this here as well as the immigration forum but most of the NZ experience seems to hang out here.
I have now submitted my application for residence under the skilled migrant category, I do not yet have a job offer.

I'd really like toknow if anyone know how long I will likely have to wait for to visa. Could it really take as long long as the 6 months the NZIS website says it could?

I am actively looking for work however I had the idea that it would be much easier to get a job when I already had a visa. I am quite capable of supporting myself in NZ until I get a job and even have a place to stay.

be honest with me, could it be that bad :(

Rich

Rich I think the 6 months is a worst case scenario and also a stock reply. Everyone seems to be told this.
We were three months to the day. This had almost a month in the middle where we had to get the meds etc. We had no job offer and 100 points.

RD1 Sep 1st 2005 10:10 pm

I can't deny that this is exactly what I want to hear, there's hope for me yet :D

Thanks

Transatlantic Duo Sep 5th 2005 11:39 pm

We submitted our application on July 5th and were just allocated an immigration officer about a week ago. How long the rest of the process will take is anyones guess, but I don't think it will take 4 more months. The immigration officer is meant to be getting in touch over the next few days, so if I hear anything that is relevant to your situation I'll let you know.

Best of Luck!

ledge Sep 6th 2005 7:52 am

Even with no job offer it was much faster in my case: The final date for submitting the application was 5th March (and we were very close to it!) and the "Approved in Principle" letter was dated 3rd May - so 2 months.

Much faster than we expected, we'd mentally allowed them 6-8 months to process it, with the aim of packing up to go by next summer.

RD1 Sep 7th 2005 11:30 am

This is all very encouraging, thanks. I've had a letter to say they have accepted the application so I guess there's nothing missing, phew!
I'm trying to set my expectations realistically but it's difficult not to hope for a fast turn around, I'd love to be in Auckland before Christmas :)

England Girl Sep 7th 2005 11:41 am

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Rich I think the 6 months is a worst case scenario and also a stock reply. Everyone seems to be told this.
We were three months to the day. This had almost a month in the middle where we had to get the meds etc. We had no job offer and 100 points.

Three months!
When I applied for my residency in 2003 (before the changes) it took 9 months to get the approved in principle then it was 12 months to the day my passport arrived back (had a holiday in the middle so needed passport and extra cash for migrant levy).
I guess I did mine the hard way - working holiday visa, got a job, applied for residency but WHV was going to expire with no sign of residency so had to apply for work permit and visa (due to holiday) then finally got the residency.
Not that I'm moaning, I'm very grateful I've got it.

It's hard to believe that people wanting to immigrate into OZ are having to wait upwards of nien months and yet NZ is very quick. I guess the EOI and ITA has filtered it down.

Radio Ham Sep 7th 2005 5:00 pm

I'm really pleased to hear that work visa, job, apply route is the hard way! I'm stuck on 95 points so have no other route (unless someone can advise otherwise or gift me 5 more points!)

Colin

aarcc Sep 7th 2005 6:27 pm

How quick to process if you already have a job offer?

aarcc

footloose Sep 7th 2005 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by aarcc

aarcc

I think it varies. But I can say that it only took a week or so after my EOI being accepted that I received my ITA pack. Then it is how fast you can get all the information together.

Scott

RD1 Sep 7th 2005 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by aarcc

aarcc

The info I have seen says applications with a job offer are given priority and suggests that it takes weeks rather than months. How that matches peoples' experience I don't know, but I'll be doing all I can to get a job in the mean time.

I'm surprised to hear that this is the easier route to take, I was kicking myself that I didn't just go for a working holiday and apply whilst there, I expected that would be much easier.

Anyone had the interview because there was no job offer? If so, how far in to the process was it?