Skilled Migrant or LTBV

Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:13 am
Just Joined

anewstart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Help needed. I was planning to get PR via Skilled Immigration with 125 points and no job offer. However, I'm looking to buy a travel site internet franchise. It's an online business (no fixed assets) that I would run with my wife and will promote businesses in New Zealand to a global travel audience. Basically, local businesses will pay for advertising space while I generate sales for them via hotel and restaurant bookings etc - so good support for NZ businesses.

Although I have extensive experience in marketing, communications and my wife is in sales, I have no experience running a business. But as it's an internet franchise business I have the necessary experience.

The business won't employ staff, but as the business takes off in the future I would look to take on some regional sales guys.

Do I have a realistic shot at the LTBV or am I better of going down the Skilled Immigrant path? I don't know how they treat internet only business? I'm also worried I won't get pulled from the EOI pool.

I don't want to waste time if I have no chance so any advice would be great.

Originally Posted by danjones1
Internet business franchise?

Not a chance, try the skilled route...
This is the response I've jsut got from the NZ Immigration Business Migration Branch...has given some hope....

"We view internet businesses the same as any other type of business. We would need to see good evidence to show us what your experience is in running a business. We do have some discretion in regards to business experience if there are other positives to the application and we assess it is a good business despite this aspect, such as senior management experience, handling budgets or making decisions that affected the course of the organisation. You would also need to provide a business plan, financial projections for 3 years, knowledge of the NZ market for your business and how your business was going to benefit the country. You don't need to employ people from day 1 but if you say that is going to be the benefit then at some stage, you will need to do so"

All

You could save me alot of time and effort.

Am I wasting my time submitting an EOI with 125 points with no job offer and my job (Marketing) not being on the skills shortage list. Having looked at the last rounds of the EOI selction pool it seems I have little chance of being selected from the pool.

Thanks for your help on this.

I think I will do the initial games at home but aftr that we ought to arrange a meet up to all have a bevvy and "think of England" - Anybod else up for this?

Originally Posted by owen
Oh Ok, but through the internet I can hook my laptop to our projector and have the game 2 metres wide!! That way I can pretend to be in a pub without the beer!!
Although we could all come round to yours with a few cans and watch the game on your 2 metre wide screen and make your place more like a pub

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 9th 2010 at 7:29 am. Reason: oops. apologies. seemed to have merged in error
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:53 am
Just Joined

dougslug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled Migrant or LTBV

I believe the LTBV needs a comprehensive business plan, and you need to show you are hitting targets against business plan year on year. You also need to employ 3 kiwis.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:29 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice
Default Re: Skilled Migrant or LTBV

Internet business franchise?

Not a chance, try the skilled route...