British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   skilled migrant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/skilled-migrant-595710/)

strawbie Mar 5th 2009 10:18 pm

skilled migrant

HI, has anyone had phone interview yet?? i had mine today, which was pretty nerve wracking!! I'm main applicant on skilled migrant and appllied without job offer. During interview she asked me how many hrs i would be wanting to work, so i replied that ideally 26/30. she's since emailed me with concerns of my intentions to not work full time (30hrs+) as this is part of the additional requirements for skilled employment- I assumed that stipulations re hrs etc was for those with job offers?? I assume i'm wrong, does anyone know or have any experience of this please?? Nothing seems to be straight forward:lol:

Nicola x

anniiee Mar 5th 2009 10:32 pm

Re: skilled migrant

Hello Nicola

I'm sorry I cannot help you with your query but I do wish you lots of luck with your application. Please can I ask what date was your application logged with NZ immigration, ours was logged on the 31st October and we still have not heard anything.

Many Thanks in advance

anne

jamtart Mar 6th 2009 8:26 am

Hi Nicola
OMG, I have just come into exactly the same issue - had my interview this week, stupidly mentioned about part-time hours, had an email back about how they were concerned that I didn't understand the requirement that skilled migrants are expected to be looking for premanent, full time jobs.....

We really are very unlikely to be able to make it if they give us the WTR visa rather than PR as we have a house that won't sell and can't be out there in a job in 6 months' time...

I suppose I can understand their requirement but do find it a bit unfair when women are the skilled applicant and have young families. They are really really short of people with my skills and I will have no problem finding a post (just being picky about exactly where I want to work and the sort of speciality I will work in. I am commited to continuing working in NZ for many years to come, but I really would ideally want to have the work-family balance I have here with part-time hours until my little one is older.

anyway, I've resigned myself to the fact I will have to work full time, at least for the first year or so. I've been advised to submit as much info as possible proving that I am going to work full-time now I am clearer on the requirements (they class 30+ hours a week as full time so you shouldn't have much problem convincing them as it is almost what you said). I'm going to apply for some full time posts and send this info in.

Will be really interested to hear how it goes for you too.

J

strawbie Mar 6th 2009 5:31 pm

Hi jamtart!

oh i'm so frustrated with them. I replied to the email saying the reasons i'd worked part time were due to young family and not a huge choice of posts available here and that of course i would be happy to work 30 hrs in NZ!! She's now sent another asking me to send her evidence of any contact i've had with agencies in NZ and of job adverts i've looked at-what on earth does that prove?? I dont intend on applying for jobs til nearer the time we go-we too have a house to sell and just will not be able to go if we dont get pr!! I thinks its just taking the mickey i little bit!!!?? during the interview i told her i hadnt applied for any yet!!

So do you have to provide evidence of what you've 'looked' at? what profession are you in? I'm a paediatric nurse and health visitor, feel like a criminal now!!!
Nicola

strawbie Mar 6th 2009 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by anniiee (Post 7349717)
Hello Nicola

I'm sorry I cannot help you with your query but I do wish you lots of luck with your application. Please can I ask what date was your application logged with NZ immigration, ours was logged on the 31st October and we still have not heard anything.

Many Thanks in advance

anne

hi, yes we lodged our application end of august and it was allocated end of october. The woman who's dealing with ours seems extrememly rigourous with her questions, etc I assume thats the norm although i dont understand how some people get their PR within a month!!?? Do you have job offer, house to sell etc??
nicola

anniiee Mar 6th 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Strawbie,

No I've no job offer, our house has been up for sale for quite a while with no interest :( so we've decided if we get PR we are going to rent it out. I'm just begining to worry how come we've not heard anything.
Good Luck with your's I'm sure you'll be ok, if you told her you were willing to work upto 30 hours surely this is enough.
Hopefuly it wont be too long before you find out :thumbup: