British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Skilled Migrant = PR? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/skilled-migrant-%3D-pr-770673/)

Pushkinias Sep 5th 2012 4:34 pm

Skilled Migrant = PR?

Dear Friends,

Forgive me asking what may seem a stupid question...

Is a skilled migrant visa the same as permanent residency?

I have a job offer and am about to start the visa process. I want to apply for permanent residency and have plenty of time to get things sorted (11 months). My job is on the skills shortage list (consultant psychiatrist) and I'm in the process of sorting out my professional registration with MCNZ.

Thank you!

skends Sep 5th 2012 7:37 pm

Re: Skilled Migrant = PR?

hi,
we are going skilled migrant visa - its apparently the best way to get PR.
you get issued a 2 year work visa, then you can apply for residency. Its all abit confusing - well for me anyway! lol
there will be others here later who are more knowledgeable than I. Professional reg. takes the longest - it took 8 weeks for mine, would have done it sooner but i misread my forms!

MrsFychan Sep 5th 2012 7:55 pm

I think you are mixing up the terms?
skilled migrant visa is a way to get PR

or maybe I'm wrong?

Pushkinias Sep 5th 2012 8:01 pm

Yes I am. Skilled migrant is one of the categories towards permanent residency. Silly me!

Caz8NZ Sep 5th 2012 11:18 pm

Yeah basically you are applying for residency in NZ - and applying under the Skilled Migrant Category is just one of the ways to do this.

Once you are granted Residency as a Skilled Migrant your residency visa is issued with various conditions depending on many various things - but always that it is with travel conditions for 2 years. You can leave the country of course, its just that after 2 years you then have to apply for Permanent Residency which means you can come and go as you please in effect indefinitely. this is not the same as being a citizen - but nearly.

BEVS Sep 5th 2012 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10266023)
Yeah basically you are applying for residency in NZ - and applying under the Skilled Migrant Category is just one of the ways to do this.

Once you are granted Residency as a Skilled Migrant your residency visa is issued with various conditions depending on many various things - but always that it is with travel conditions for 2 years. You can leave the country of course, its just that after 2 years you then have to apply for Permanent Residency which means you can come and go as you please in effect indefinitely. this is not the same as being a citizen - but nearly.

Rather good post Caz8nz. :thumbup:

Caz8NZ Sep 5th 2012 11:58 pm

Shucks thanks bev! :o