Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Skilled Immigrant Route - quickest way to get in?

Skilled Immigrant Route - quickest way to get in?

Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough
Default Skilled Immigrant Route - quickest way to get in?

Hi,

I'm looking at moving to NZ long term if i get a suitable job offer there. I've got interviews coming up with a NZ firm next week, Skype initially but may go over for a visit if things progress well.

My profession is included on the NZ Long Term Skill Shortage list and I have a UK Honours degree (2:2) from a red brick uni which i think is equivalent to NZQF level 8. Plenty of experience in my profession (~20 yrs) and I am 40.

Now if I was to be made an employment offer and I had to arrange my own visa, it seems I would have to apply for a 'Skilled Migrant Category Resident' visa or 'Long Term Skill Shortage List Work' Visa. Now am I right in thinking it would be easier/quicker to apply for the latter if my main aim was to start working NZ in the shortest time possible? Obviously I'm aware that the Long Term Skill Shortage List Work visa is only valid for 2-3 years and I will have to apply again to extend my stay but I really want to leave this shithole (Qatar) ASAP so looking at the best option. How long does it typically take to get a Long Term Skill Shortage visa if its a straightforward application with no complications?

Also I'm aware that in an ideal world the NZ employer would arrange the work visa but I guess I should state in the interview that i will be arranging my own NZ visa potentially saving the employer time & money?

Cheers
Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:36 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Immigrant Route - quickest way to get in?

not a lot of employees arrange the visas, or actually know that its job offer first then a visa.
As you say the quickest option is the work to residency visa, which is usually sorted out in a matter of weeks.
Once you have a work to residency visa and if your profession is still on the Skilled list you could then apply for the Skilled migrant route or stay on the Work to residency and after the 2 years go for the Residency for work. It would mean you would have to stay in the job for the length of the visa or if you leave you have to let Immigration know the change in circumstances and update the visa.