Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Silver Fern Visa 2012 - successful applications only discussion thread

Silver Fern Visa 2012 - successful applications only discussion thread

Old May 4th 2012, 2:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Silver Fern Visa 2011 & also now for 2012

Originally Posted by bvp663
27 yrs old
Originally Posted by snomad
Dude, working holiday visa

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

12 months extendable to 23. Get a job . Get sponsored on a work to residence visa.
I concur. If you are of an age to be eligible for a working holiday visa then it's certainly worth a punt.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:38 am
Just Joined

snomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
I concur. If you are of an age to be eligible for a working holiday visa then it's certainly worth a punt.
You may also find you don't have to do chest X-rays and medical
Depending on your previous movements. Unbelievably UK citizens have to take X-ray medical because we haven't irradiated TB. If you've not been to a country that still has TB in the past 3 years you may only have to pay visa application fee. Can't see them turning you down as allocations are unlimited. Also if you struggle to settle in NZ there is always the Australian Working Holiday program which is identical essentially. 27 is a good age to do both of you want an adventure and are not too bothered about settling down there but take it from someone who has used both working holiday visas up already..... There is a very strong chance you will find it hard to want to leave.

Re snomad user name that is what I call a synchronicity.
Old May 4th 2012, 10:26 am
Just Joined

jundan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snomad
You may also find you don't have to do chest X-rays and medical
Depending on your previous movements. Unbelievably UK citizens have to take X-ray medical because we haven't irradiated TB. If you've not been to a country that still has TB in the past 3 years you may only have to pay visa application fee. Can't see them turning you down as allocations are unlimited. Also if you struggle to settle in NZ there is always the Australian Working Holiday program which is identical essentially. 27 is a good age to do both of you want an adventure and are not too bothered about settling down there but take it from someone who has used both working holiday visas up already..... There is a very strong chance you will find it hard to want to leave.

Re snomad user name that is what I call a synchronicity.
This would have been my back-up option if silver fern hadn't worked out... if you're looking for an adventure and not too fixed on what job you want to do then a WHV should be perfect for you.. be prepared for medical cost though if you go for the 23 month extension option you'll prob need the full medical and chest x-ray - we're in uk and my fiance got a WHV, his medical cost over £400 (for what took less than an hour)! daylight robbery
Old May 4th 2012, 10:31 am
Just Joined

bvp663 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jundan
This would have been my back-up option if silver fern hadn't worked out... if you're looking for an adventure and not too fixed on what job you want to do then a WHV should be perfect for you.. be prepared for medical cost though if you go for the 23 month extension option you'll prob need the full medical and chest x-ray - we're in uk and my fiance got a WHV, his medical cost over £400 (for what took less than an hour)! daylight robbery
So what exactly is the difference between silver fern visa and a work holiday visa? What makes the silver fern visa so special?
Old May 4th 2012, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bvp663
So what exactly is the difference between silver fern visa and a work holiday visa? What makes the silver fern visa so special?
Basically, with the silver fern visa the employer doesn't have to prove that they were unable to fill the post with a kiwi... whereas with a WHV if you apply for a job and there is a suitable kiwi who also applies for the job then they would be given preference for it (is my understanding in any case).

For me this is really important as I work in Human Resources which isn't on the skills shortage list, so any job I applied for I would only be considered if there were no suitable new zealander applicants, cutting the chances down significantly... I need to work in HR to be able to get all the relevant points to apply for residency, which is our plan going forwards.... but for yourself (if you are not too fussed about what kind of work you do once you're out there) then a WHV is much easier to get and prob just what you need

My other half has a WHV as he is wanting to change from a desk job that he currently does to manual/trades work, so his plan is to get out there - take whatever is available and hopefully at some point re-train into a trade that is needed in NZ.

We met lots of people when we went to NZ last year who were mixing travelling around NZ with work using a WHV, and they had all managed to find jobs easily enough including on construction sites labouring, shop work, farm work... so if you are after an adventure (good on you) then I reckon a WHV should see you right
Old May 4th 2012, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aiki
Thanks for the explanation Jundan.

But I am still wondering, if one is working in ICT industry which is listed in long-term skill shortage, i.e. immigration will not do the market test.
In that case, one can just apply a tourist visa and come to NZ for job hunting. After he/she secure a position, he can apply for working visa without any market test. After that, he/she can start to work and apply for residency.

In that case, what is the difference between silver fern and tourist visa?
Ahh i see - if you are in a role that's on the LTTS then really you are in a strong position as you won't be liable to market testing and as you rightly say you can apply for a work visa through the normal route - the silver fern is really for those who are in a skilled/trade job that is not on the shortage lists as without it we would always be in a weaker position when applying for jobs... for you this shouldn't be a problem if you work in a shortage area, so no point putting yourself through the stress of a silver fern application trying to get 1 of only 300 places along with all the rest - you could go out on a WHV and look for work straightaway... I would guess that if you go on a tourist visa you could find it harder to find a job as employers might prefer you to already have some sort of a working visa (even if only a temporary WHV) when applying for jobs so you are ready to start straightaway - however I'm not an expert so I could be wrong! Good luck with it all
Old May 4th 2012, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

aiki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jundan
Ahh i see - if you are in a role that's on the LTTS then really you are in a strong position as you won't be liable to market testing and as you rightly say you can apply for a work visa through the normal route - the silver fern is really for those who are in a skilled/trade job that is not on the shortage lists as without it we would always be in a weaker position when applying for jobs... for you this shouldn't be a problem if you work in a shortage area, so no point putting yourself through the stress of a silver fern application trying to get 1 of only 300 places along with all the rest - you could go out on a WHV and look for work straightaway... I would guess that if you go on a tourist visa you could find it harder to find a job as employers might prefer you to already have some sort of a working visa (even if only a temporary WHV) when applying for jobs so you are ready to start straightaway - however I'm not an expert so I could be wrong! Good luck with it all
Yeah, I agree with your opinion.
Well, I am unfortunately a little bit too old to get WHV
BTW being on WHV can you work as skilled worker (e.g. software developer)?
Because from the immigration website, it is written that the main point is holiday but you are allowed to work. I don't really understand what does it mean Does it mean that one can only work part time?

I also read from somewhere that one can only be in NZ for maximum 12 months when he/she is on WHZ? In this case how can he/she apply for residency?

BTW, do you secure a place in 2012 silver fern visa, Jundan?
Old May 6th 2012, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Sagar_Mumbai is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Friends,

I'm from Mumbai, India and applied through SFV application process...

Congratulation for all those who got through..

I want to know how many guys from India have successfully submitted their application for SFV ?? we can help each other
Old May 7th 2012, 7:37 am
Just Joined

ennaibor_21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone who didn't receive the unsuccessful letter? Anyone who's preparing for the documents?

Last edited by ennaibor_21; May 7th 2012 at 7:41 am.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:42 am
`

Default Silver Fern Visa 2012 - successful applications

This thread is for those of you who've been successful with the SF Visa 2012 submission. You may discuss the ins and outs of the process and application.
Old May 8th 2012, 4:54 am
`

Default Re: Silver Fern Visa 2012 - successful applications only discussion thread

Also.

If you have a successful Silver Fern 2012 application without problem, would you please vote HERE
Old May 8th 2012, 6:17 am
Just Joined

wm_try_it is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Silver Fern Visa 2012 - successful applications only discussion thread

Hi,
I am among those "secure 300" applications and lucky enough not to receive the "evil mail". Right now I am preparing documents to send to their branch asap. Nice to know all of you who will join this NZ dream.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:55 am
Just Joined

arslan123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fortunately I am also among the 300 SFV applicants and now preparing my documents for the visa.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:51 am
Just Joined

snomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't actually believe people are using WHV as a back up to silver fern or not applying for it in the first instance. The WHV is much easier to get and offers an extra 3 months to find a sponsor 14 if you extend it. You still have to find a sponsor on the silver fern visa. You just have no 6 Month restriction with any one employer. Even still you only get 9 months.

They don't have to give a job to a kiwi they just have to be able to show that they have searched in a the local market to fill your job. That can be the advert they placed when you applied for it. So long as you are the best suited to the job then it's fine. This is why you should make sure what the award rates are for your position to determine if you are being hired for cheap "temporary" foreign labour or because they really want you for your skills.

Judging by some of the post may 4th comments on this board it's dissapointing to know that people were applying for this visa when there were other visas available to them. For some this is their only shot and it only goes to highlight the inefficiency of the silver fern application process. if everyone submitted an application which was then checked for validity first before going into a lottery I dare say a lot more of the visas would go to the people that actually need them
The most. And for those that qualify for WHV simply transfer onto that scheme (it is essentially the same process after either application!)

Anyway good luck to those that got in.
Old May 8th 2012, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

shankee is an unknown quantity at this point

please any one say .. status of your application whoever submitted successfully .... mine "Application Received"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.