British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   should i use an immigration advisor? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/should-i-use-immigration-advisor-700359/)

mmistry Jan 12th 2011 9:29 pm

should i use an immigration advisor?

hi I am looking at applying for a skilled migrant visa with no job offer. I paid for a migration consultant to clarify some points but cant decide whether to use an immigration advisor based in Hamilton to gain residency.
(I am a secondary school teacher)
What would you recommend?:confused:

Thanks

BEVS Jan 12th 2011 11:05 pm

Re: should i use an immigration advisor?

Hi.
I see you were asking about this 18 months ago. Still planning on coming over then?

I'd recommend doing whatever you feel the most comfortable with. Only you know what will be best for you.

If you want to use a consultant , then make sure they are licensed and shop around.
There have been a few recommendations ref. Immy Consultants on here based on actual experience. It is better to have some knowledge of the application process yourself IMVHO.

If you are serious about this, have a go at the POINTS INDICATOR to see what points you might be entitled to. ( click the link)

I'm sure you know this already, but you will need to start registering with the NZ teachers council. (click the link)

Secondary School Teacher has remained on the NZIS Long Term Shortage List so an EA employer is perfectly free to offer you a job if they have a vacancy.

The Education Gazette shows vacancies

Teach NZ

Perhaps also start a thread in the main forum to ask teachers who have already migrated to NZ how it was for them.

Cheers

mmistry Jan 13th 2011 10:11 pm

Hi
thanks for the reply, yes even more closer to completing the application this year. spoken to an immigration consultant who stated that it would be better to use them as i am going to apply without a job offer. if i was doing it my self, i need a little bit of a timeline of what is due and when. any suggestions?

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9097143)
Hi.
I see you were asking about this 18 months ago. Still planning on coming over then?

I'd recommend doing whatever you feel the most comfortable with. Only you know what will be best for you.

If you want to use a consultant , then make sure they are licensed and shop around.
There have been a few recommendations ref. Immy Consultants on here based on actual experience. It is better to have some knowledge of the application process yourself IMVHO.

If you are serious about this, have a go at the POINTS INDICATOR to see what points you might be entitled to. ( click the link)

I'm sure you know this already, but you will need to start registering with the NZ teachers council. (click the link)

Secondary School Teacher has remained on the NZIS Long Term Shortage List so an EA employer is perfectly free to offer you a job if they have a vacancy.

The Education Gazette shows vacancies

Teach NZ

Perhaps also start a thread in the main forum to ask teachers who have already migrated to NZ how it was for them.

Cheers

simonsi Jan 14th 2011 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by mmistry (Post 9099918)
spoken to an immigration consultant who stated that it would be better to use them as i am going to apply without a job offer.

Well they would say that, its called drumming up business. Perfectly possible to do it yourself though.

RobDon Jan 14th 2011 8:07 pm

There are loads of us on here that have gone down the DIY route without a job offer. ;)
Its perfectly doable so save your money for your new life over here!

Celticknight Jan 15th 2011 7:46 am

We did it ourselves, also without a Job Offer.

As soon as we can sell House, we'll be off too.

Not even a Time Waster to look around yet, so looks like were coming down Easter time to get Visas stamped and two weeks holiday.

Ian.

MnB Jan 15th 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 9102022)
There are loads of us on here that have gone down the DIY route without a job offer. ;)
Its perfectly doable so save your money for your new life over here!

Ditto.......:thumbsup:

LukeandJo Jan 15th 2011 9:32 pm

Successfully applied without a job offer all on our own. No agency needed.
We even had a baby on the way while going through the whole process.

You need to read and understand all that is required and you will be OK.
Save the fee and add it to your NZ moving budget.

mmistry Jan 16th 2011 4:17 pm

Hi

Thanks to you all for your feedback, I have come to my senses and realised what a waste of money it is to get someone involved.

can you tell me if this is the correct order of what needs to be done?

qualifications to be assessed
register with teacher council
complete EOI= may have 110 pts is that enough with out a job?
get selected from pool
have medical

Many thanks

Meeta

BEVS Jan 16th 2011 7:12 pm

Seems you are more clued up than you're letting on MMistry. :p

You'll also need a police check at some point.

110 points is a wee bit low to be selected from the pool . You could add 'obtain job offer' to your list.