Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Should I go for IQA or PAR or Both are mandatory ?

Should I go for IQA or PAR or Both are mandatory ?

Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:21 am
Just Joined

chirag is an unknown quantity at this point
Question NZQA PAR for highest qualification only or for all supportive qualification.

Hello,

I am from India and I am going to apply for Pre-assessment by NZQA.

I have gained two qualifications, Master of Computer Applications (MCA) in 2008 and Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) in 2005.

Now MCA is dependent on BCA and now I am confuse ...

Should I do Pre-assessment for both qualifications or should I go for Highest one(MCA) only ?

In addition when I fill up online form for MCA in NZQA website, it gives option for supportive qualifications which I can use for BCA, but it is optional.

Any response will be greatly appreciated...

Regards,
Chirag
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Question Should I go for IQA or PAR or Both are mandatory ?

Hello,

I am from India, I am going to apply for EOI and my confusion is, should I go for PAR first and then IQA or should I directly go for IQA and bypass PAR?

If I bypass PAR then is that valid?

I refereed below link and they suggested to bypass PAR.
http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40668

INZ will assess your education qualification based on IQA assessment of NZQA and not on PAR. So if you haven't paid or applied for PAR, please don't go ahead with it. Its a total waste of time and money. {Please do IQA instead of PAR}
Any reply will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Chirag
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

harry79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I go for IQA or PAR or Both are mandatory ?

Yes you can directly go for IQA. PAR is not compulsory but IQA is compulsory.
PAR will cost you about $138 and much quicker than IQA. Once your EOI will be selected and when you apply for ITA, at this stage you need IQA.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 4:18 am
Just Joined

zhudi yan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZQA PAR for highest qualification only or for all supportive qualification.

In my eyes, you need to do Pre-assessment for both qualifications and pay twice. Because the Highest one is relied on the bachelor degree.

If you are not in a hurry, you could apply IQA directly for the sake of money.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Default Re: NZQA PAR for highest qualification only or for all supportive qualification.

Originally Posted by zhudi yan
In my eyes, you need to do Pre-assessment for both qualifications and pay twice. Because the Highest one is relied on the bachelor degree.

If you are not in a hurry, you could apply IQA directly for the sake of money.
Thank you for your reply. This is want I am going to do next.

Actually first I am thinking to apply for EOI(Expression of interest) and then If my application be selected from pool round then I will apply for IQA.

Please advice If I am doing something wrong...
Old Nov 20th 2013, 6:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if your qualifications are not accessed as comparable they will not accept them so any money you pay out for EOI and ITA will be lost.

I think you need to be looking at what job title/code you would be applying under and checking out the educational requirement for it. no point getting something accessed if it is not needed
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:04 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, are either of your qualifications on this list: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/47086.htm

If they are, then you do not need to get them assessed at all.

Are you claiming points for work experience at all? Was this in a comparable labour market? Do your qualifications come under the LTSSL?

The LTSSL is what you need to look at as it may affect which points you can claim for. It will also affect whether it is worth getting both degrees assessed. A higher qualification is not acceptable when looking at the LTSSL, you need the exact one mentioned on the list. But you also get extra points for a higher qual so sometimes it is best to assess both.

Do as MrsF says and look at your job title and what is required. It's under ANZSCO on the INZ website.
P
Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
Firstly, are either of your qualifications on this list: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/47086.htm

If they are, then you do not need to get them assessed at all.

Are you claiming points for work experience at all? Was this in a comparable labour market? Do your qualifications come under the LTSSL?

The LTSSL is what you need to look at as it may affect which points you can claim for. It will also affect whether it is worth getting both degrees assessed. A higher qualification is not acceptable when looking at the LTSSL, you need the exact one mentioned on the list. But you also get extra points for a higher qual so sometimes it is best to assess both.

Do as MrsF says and look at your job title and what is required. It's under ANZSCO on the INZ website.
P
Please find answers for your questions.
---------------
1)
Ans: NO

2)
Are you claiming points for work experience at all?
Ans: YES, I do have 3+ years of continues experience in Software Development field

Was this in a comparable labour market?
Ans: No Idea and my country (India) is not listed at http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...bourmarket.htm

But based on my qualification I can claim points for.
10 points for Qualification in an identified future growth area
10 points for Qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage

Do your qualifications come under the LTSSL?
Ans: Yes, I found my suitable occupation at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=3

Example.
Software Engineer (261313)
Software and Applications Programmers nec (261399)
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:06 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chirag
Please find answers for your questions.
---------------
1)
Ans: NO
Then you need to get them assessed by NZQA

2)
Are you claiming points for work experience at all?
Ans: YES, I do have 3+ years of continues experience in Software Development field

Was this in a comparable labour market?
Ans: No Idea and my country (India) is not listed at http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...bourmarket.htm
if India is not on that list then your work experience is not in a comparable labour market. The ONLY way you can claim points for your work exp is if it was for either of these:
We may award points for work experience in countries that are not 'comparable labour markets', but only if you were working:
for a multinational commercial entity domiciled in one of these listed countries, or
in an area of absolute skill shortage.

But based on my qualification I can claim points for.
10 points for Qualification in an identified future growth area Only if you are claiming points for a job offer
10 points for Qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage Only if it is assessed as being equivalent to one on the LTSSL. No job offer necessary for these points

Do your qualifications come under the LTSSL?
Ans: Yes, I found my suitable occupation at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=3

Example.
Software Engineer (261313)
Software and Applications Programmers nec (261399)
In that case your qualification must be assessed as equivalent to that mentioned on the list. A higher degree is not acceptable. If the list says you need a Bachelors to count under the LTSSL then a Masters or PhD even in the same subject does not count.
If you only get your MCA assessed then it may get you 60 pts for a qual rather than 50 for a bachelors but you wouldn't be able to claim any pts for being in absolute shortage and possibly not be able to claim points for any of your work experience [depending on whether you work for a multinational company or not as per the above quote].
So you may have to get both assessed to take advantage of the extra points for a higher qual and also be covered under the LTSSL.

Another thing to look at is your total points score, it may not be enough to guarantee selection. If you do not have 140 or above then you are very unlikely to be selected without a job offer on your application. Submitting an EOI could be a waste of money

Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

A PAR is not compulsory.

As you are from India , have you checked to see if your qualification is exempt from assessment.

You haven't said what qualifications/degree you think needs to be assessed by NZQA.

edited here....

Rats! I see there are two threads about the same thing so the detials are already about.
Threads merged

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 21st 2013 at 9:01 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your precious reply, it really help me
Old Dec 26th 2013, 11:41 am
Just Joined

s.sharma is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys!

The discussions in this thread has helped me as I am on the same boat with BCA+MCA degree.

I got my MCA (masters) pre assessed last week with 60 points but then I realized the probable requirement of getting my BCA (bachelors) assessed too. But before I got to know it, I already submitted EOI. I guess, the good part is, INZ is on Xmax & New year vacations and my EOI is still in "submitted" state.

I've got following concerns/queries:
1. Will INZ ask me to provide assessment of BCA or will they simply reject it? Per my estimation, I've more than 140 points (including my wife's)

2. Today I've requested for PAR of BCA but NZQA is on vacations till 3rd Jan, 2014. So can I safely put my EOI on "edit" state until I receive assessment on my BCA? Once I get it, I'll mention the points in EOI and re-submit it. Would I need to pay again for EOI? I don't think so, but your advice is much needed.

Kind Regards
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:04 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Hello!
1. I suppose it depends on whether you are claiming pts for absolute skills shortage, if you are then you do need the exact requirements as listed on the LTSSL.
2. You should not have to pay to edit an already paid for and submitted EOI. Just enter with the new details. After selection you have to contact INZ directly to change anything.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 11:57 am
Just Joined

s.sharma is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Persephone!

To be on safer side I've applied for PAR of graduation degree as well. Let's see...

Cheers!