Should I go??

Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:53 am
Just Joined

rob83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I go??

Hi everyone

First post on the forums, but my head feels like its melting reading through all the red tape and clauses surrounding work and residency visas. I'll explain my problem, hopefully someone here can advise me!

My plan is this:

Apply for 23 month WHV, leave England for NZ, doing some travelling and working there, all the time looking for a company/job that will make me eligible to apply for a longer term work visa/file EOI for residency, get that granted, eventually get PR granted.

About me:
Age - 29
Nationality - British
Qualifications - BSc Biology (Genetics) (Level 8 NZQF)
Work Experience - Call Centre, Customer Service, Admin (5+ years)

My problem is that I am really apprehensive that I will go to NZ and then fail to meet the precise requirements for EOI (or any other route), and have to come home, as they seem so precise. I do not want to work in medical science/research, as I have no work experience in this field after degree, due to the need for Masters/PhD to find work in England, so I will go for the following jobs:

Call Centre Team Leader (Catagory C on List of Skilled Occupations)
HR Adviser (A)
Science Technician (A)

One worry is the sentence that I require "a relevant qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications......"

I have a qualification above the level required, but in Genetics, not Team Leadership, nor HR. Does that mean I will just be wasting my time?

My family and friends all tell me to not worry, to just risk it and go to NZ and it will all work out somehow, as I have a degree and am a very good employee, and there are so many more opportunities in NZ than in the UK. I may progress quickly to a management position (I was offered a Team Leader/Trainer role at a telemarketing company after only being with them for 1 month in Australia, on WHV).

I want to agree with them, but having spent 3 days reading the immigration website, I have seen every potential route become muddled down with red tape and me realising the door is closed to me.

Any advice or encouragement much appreciated

Thanks
Rob

Ps. there is no chance of me finding employment at the $55,000/ year income bracket mentioned for the accredited employers visa
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

GulliesPacific is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I go??

Hi Rob,

Why do you say there's no chance of you earning $55k a year?

It's not that much money, is it?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:01 am
Just Joined

hollyrebecca is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rob

I'm also new to the forum and only just posted my first message.

My partner and I have been planning to move to NZ all year and he was offered a job in November and we should be moving there in a couple of weeks. I've run into some difficulties with immigration and I'm starting to worry it will prevent me from going but people keep telling me there are ways and means and I shouldn't give up.

The most helpful thing I have discovered over this whole process is that the biggest thing that comes between you and doing what you want to do is getting the courgage to do something big. Once you put your mind to it and go for it with all your determination and enthusiasm, things always seem to have a way of working themselves out.

Another thing is, never think you've got to do everything alone. Myself and my partner have felt very young and inexperienced whilst trying to get where we are now, but the last few months have proved that people are on hand ready to help you and all you need to do is ask.

Plus, you mentioned you've already lived in Aus so if you've taken that big step in the past, chances our you'll be absolutely fine in NZ! The WHV is a very flexible option, the slight downside being that you can only work for a max of 3 months at a time. But if you're planning on travelling it's pretty convenient.

Sorry if that's not very helpful. I wish you all the best and really hope things work out the way you want them to.

Holly
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

GulliesPacific is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hollyrebecca
Hi Rob

I'm also new to the forum and only just posted my first message.

My partner and I have been planning to move to NZ all year and he was offered a job in November and we should be moving there in a couple of weeks. I've run into some difficulties with immigration and I'm starting to worry it will prevent me from going but people keep telling me there are ways and means and I shouldn't give up.

The most helpful thing I have discovered over this whole process is that the biggest thing that comes between you and doing what you want to do is getting the courgage to do something big. Once you put your mind to it and go for it with all your determination and enthusiasm, things always seem to have a way of working themselves out.

Another thing is, never think you've got to do everything alone. Myself and my partner have felt very young and inexperienced whilst trying to get where we are now, but the last few months have proved that people are on hand ready to help you and all you need to do is ask.

Plus, you mentioned you've already lived in Aus so if you've taken that big step in the past, chances our you'll be absolutely fine in NZ! The WHV is a very flexible option, the slight downside being that you can only work for a max of 3 months at a time. But if you're planning on travelling it's pretty convenient.

Sorry if that's not very helpful. I wish you all the best and really hope things work out the way you want them to.

Holly
What a lovely post.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:16 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you ultimately intend to live and work in NZ permanently , then you need to plan. A few years ago it was easier but things are much harder now.

If you look at the Skilled Migrant Category it is all about the points. You'd get points for the degree & your age but from what you say little in the way of occupational work experience. A skilled job offer here in the field your degree is in would boost those points. If you got such a job offer then perhaps go for a temporary work permit for a couple of years. Your NZ work experience would further boost your points.

Another was is perhaps to find a job offer, again seen as skilled and within the field of your degree, with an accredited employer here. It doesn't necessarily have to meet the $55K threshold. If you were will to remain on a temporary work permit for a couple of years then you could go on to apply for residency under the skilled migrant category per above. The good thing about the accredited employers is that they are free to offer you, the overseas person, a job.

Best pick from the jobs you listed is science technician in my opinion and it is only an opinion.