British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   which should come first? Job lookout or work permit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/should-come-first-job-lookout-work-permit-548318/)

ryanlove Jul 11th 2008 10:44 am

which should come first? Job lookout or work permit?

I really, really like it here and I was wondering which should come first- looking for a job or applying for a work permit??

I'm on a tourist visa and I'd like very much to try it out for a year. Do you just approach employers and tell them that even as you're qualified, you still have to get a work permit? Or would they facilitate that for you? What's the proper way of applying for a job with such a status?

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!1

BEVS Jul 11th 2008 10:51 am

Re: which should come first? Job lookout or work permit?

Short answer coz it is late.

It is a job offer first and then you apply for a work permit. Not the other way around.

Make sure the job offer is full time and for the amount of years you want the work permit for. You will need the terms and conditions of the job offer and you will need to show that your quals match the job.

If the occupation is not on the shortages list, then you will need the employer to prove that there is no NZ resident for the job. They do this by showing adverts, training schemes etc. They will need 'approval in principle' to employ you. If the job is on the shortages list, then no probs. Provided the job is on the shortages lists then an NZ employer can employ you, subject to you being qualified for the work.

You will need to prove you have the level of skill for the job. You may also need medicals and a police check depending on the length of the work permit you apply for.

newkiwi Jul 14th 2008 1:07 pm

Re: which should come first? Job lookout or work permit?

Originally Posted by ryanlove (Post 6559899)
I really, really like it here and I was wondering which should come first- looking for a job or applying for a work permit??

I'm on a tourist visa and I'd like very much to try it out for a year. Do you just approach employers and tell them that even as you're qualified, you still have to get a work permit? Or would they facilitate that for you? What's the proper way of applying for a job with such a status?

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!1

if youre under 30 u can get a working holiday visa easily without a job offer. If you qualify with enough points you can get residency without a job offer, but only if you have enough points.

for everything else you need a job offer, so yes you need to convince potential employers to make you an offer subject to you getting a work permit on the back of their offer, which is the tricky and difficult part. A classic chicken and egg situation often arises, no work permit without a job offer but difficult to get a job offer unless you are already able to work in the country.....