Short Term work visa info, well for now

Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Short Term work visa info, well for now

Just managed to get myself a job in christchurch. Full time proper job and everything! It's an engineering postion but not on the shortage list. Looking to get a one year work permit so I can start work then apply for residency straight away. We have enough points for an EOI without the job to be honest but the more the better!

So the question is really do I need to get a medical done? from what i'm reading on the web it seems so, but everyone I speak to says not for less than one year. Anyone recently got a short term work permit, what did you need and how long did it take to sort? I'm in christchurch. My new employer is filling in their forms to help out the process but I don't think they are accredited. They are a big firm though.

Any advice you fine folk can give me is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:02 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Short Term work visa info, well for now

You need to check to see if your prospective employer has pre-approval to hire you. If not, your future employer needs to show NZIS that a reasonable effort has been made but no suitable Kiwi can be found to do that particular job. It seems from your post that your employer is on top of this.

You'll need documentation of your work history and educational qualifications. If you have a partner you will need proof of relationship -- bills in both of your names, photographs, that sort of stuff. You may already be up to speed on this stuff, but if not, there you are.

At any rate, if the contract is for only for twelve months or less medicals and police clearances are not required. That's how it worked for me the first time I got my work permit. If you extend your permit or if the contract is longer than one year you'll probably have to get those meds and police clearances.

Supposing you've got all your paperwork -- well, a couple of years ago when my wife and I got a temporary wok permit it took us about forty-five minutes right there in the NZIS offices off of Cathedral Square.

You know, since you are in Christchurch, go down to their office and bend their ear. They are fairly helpful.

Good luck. Christchurch is beautiful in the springtime, eh?