Shall we Submit EOI now or wait...

Old May 20th 2012, 7:59 am
Just Joined

JimandGlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Shall we Submit EOI now or wait...

Hi we are also first time forum attendees.... and have a couple of question so would be really grateful if someone could answer all or some of them... or even suggest where I could find the answers.

My husband has got a skilled migrant job - Painter (we are already here in this beautiful Country). As his qualifications aren't recognized here we have to go off experience only. The only experience he can easily prove is from July 2008 up until now, where he has been self employed in the UK. The points list only indicates 2 or 4 years experience:-

1. would we be able to use his recent NZ experience (from Jan - now) to make up the 4 years? As there is a difference between 2 and 4 years points.

2. Based on him having x2 years experience and job offer we currently have 115 points - would you recommend us getting more points before putting in our EOI?

3. I am also working - but as a temporary staff member through GBL Personnel - can I put this down as having employment? I know it is only temporary work?

4. If I was able to secure a 12month contract - could I put that down as having job offer?

5. Would you recommend us waiting until I also have a job offer - so our points then go up to 135? And obviously closer to the 140 benchmark?

6. If we can use the 4 years experience from July / and I do get a job offer by July - which will mean our points are then 140 - would you recommend we wait?

We are currently on a 12month work visa, which expires in January 2013? So I know time is a little against us?

Any help or suggestions would be brilliant.

Thanks a lot
JimandGlad
Old May 21st 2012, 12:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Shall we Submit EOI now or wait...

Question: Why aren't his UK quals recognised. Are they not NVQ C&G then? What trade quals has he got.
Old May 21st 2012, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Red face Re: Shall we Submit EOI now or wait...

Hi Bevs
Thanks for the quick response.

We were advised by an Immigration Agency that his quals weren't recognised; his quals are:-

Carpenter & Joiner
1. The Institute of Carpenters - passed the pre-vocational certificate in Carpentry & Joinery of this Institute - May 1993

Military Engineer (Carpenter & Joiner) - British Army
2. GB & Northern Ireland Ministry of Defence Army Certificate of Qualification - successfully completed Carpenter & Joiner Trade Assessment Class 2 at the Royal School of Military Engineering from 11 Jan - 5 March 99

Painting & Decorating
1. City & Guilds - Basic Skills in Construction-Painting & Decorating (The holder has a number of formal unit credits by which this award was achieved) - awarded July 2006 (Bridgend College)
2. City & Guilds - Certificate of Unit Credit Towards - Basic Skills in Construction-painting & Decorating - awarded July 2006 (Bridgend College)
3. City & Guilds - Intermediate Construction Award - Knowledge Test Painting & Decorating - awarded March 2007 (Bridgend College)
4. CITB, City & Guilds - Intermediate Construction Certificate / Construction Award - Intermediate Construction Award in Decorative Occupations - Painting & Decorating (construction) issued 05/07/07

Other
1. City & Guilds (NVQ) - Public Service (Armed Services) March 1998

Happy to send copied of these certificates directly to you if this helps?

Thanks again
JimandGlad
Old May 27th 2012, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

James Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice would be to apply for a work to residence visa on the basis of his skilled job offer. once you havr worked 2 years in this skilled job you can then apply for permanent residency and by that time will have more points and t should be straightforwards to approve. its a longer road and more expensive as you have to apply twice essentially but if you dont make 140 points currently then you are less likely to be selected, however applications under 140 with job offers attached are selected, its just not "automatic" and therefore the closer you can get to 140 the better if you decide to gamble and go straight for residency. All the very best
Old May 28th 2012, 9:28 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You can only apply for a WTR visa if you employer is 'accredited', your job is on the long term skills shortage list or you have exceptional talent in arts,culture or sports. If the job offer does not fit into one of these categories then you cannot apply for a WTR visa.

WTR categories
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice both. We are going to apply now as our currency visa is running out and I (partner) now has a 12 month job offer as well - with the potential of going longer.

Fingers crossed.
JimandGlad
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:12 am
`

Originally Posted by James Baker
My advice would be to apply for a work to residence visa on the basis of his skilled job offer. once you havr worked 2 years in this skilled job you can then apply for permanent residency and by that time will have more points and t should be straightforwards to approve. its a longer road and more expensive as you have to apply twice essentially but if you dont make 140 points currently then you are less likely to be selected, however applications under 140 with job offers attached are selected, its just not "automatic" and therefore the closer you can get to 140 the better if you decide to gamble and go straight for residency. All the very best
This post is incorrect..... once again.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:23 am
`

Originally Posted by JimandGlad
Hi we are also first time forum attendees.... and have a couple of question so would be really grateful if someone could answer all or some of them... or even suggest where I could find the answers.
Let's give it a go.

My husband has got a skilled migrant job - Painter (we are already here in this beautiful Country). As his qualifications aren't recognized here we have to go off experience only. -
Hhmm. I can see why his quals wouldn't be deemed enough to be recognised in NZ. Most tradespeople here do the old 4 yr apprenticeship thing etc.

The only experience he can easily prove is from July 2008 up until now, where he has been self employed in the UK. The points list only indicates 2 or 4 years experience:
1. would we be able to use his recent NZ experience (from Jan - now) to make up the 4 years? As there is a difference between 2 and 4 years points.
Yes. I believe so. Can he not prove further experience from during his training years 2006/2007 ? Was he working in the trade whilst training is what I mean?

2. Based on him having x2 years experience and job offer we currently have 115 points - would you recommend us getting more points before putting in our EOI?
Not really. The trade isn't in absolute shortage here in NZ. I take it that the Nz employer had to prove there was no NZ resident or citizen available to take up the employment? .

3. I am also working - but as a temporary staff member through GBL Personnel - can I put this down as having employment? I know it is only temporary work?
UUmmm. I'd say no.

4. If I was able to secure a 12month contract - could I put that down as having job offer?
Much more likely to be accepted. I'd say give it a try.

5. Would you recommend us waiting until I also have a job offer - so our points then go up to 135? And obviously closer to the 140 benchmark?
6. If we can use the 4 years experience from July / and I do get a job offer by July - which will mean our points are then 140 - would you recommend we wait?
Yes. Make sure his contract of employment is full time and permanent. NZIS will want to see that your ability to permanently settle is bolstered by having ongoing employment .

We are currently on a 12month work visa, which expires in January 2013? So I know time is a little against us?
Yes. tough one.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

James Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
This post is incorrect..... once again.
If you're going to make offensive posts it would be nice if you could explain why you think my posts are incorrect. I am purely giving the best advice I can with peoples best intentions at heart. I have done a lot of research about immigration issues and have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 7:13 am
`

If you're going to make offensive posts it would be nice if you could explain why you think my posts are incorrect. I am purely giving the best advice I can with peoples best intentions at heart. I have done a lot of research about immigration issues and have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about.
There is nothing offensive in what I have written. It was a statement of fact. I have spent several hours today ensuring that where you have made erroneous statements, it has been highlighted & corrected .

I am sure you have the best of intentions but as I have stated to you on another thread, please take a care in what you post and double check it. The NZIS website is your friend. In fact , it is always best to make sure rather than simply think one knows the score & then write as though with authority.

As Persephone has already explained in her post , the OP would not be able to go for a WTR visa. She has linked to the reasons why. Please do read the section on WTR visas , then you will understand.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 10:38 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing offensive about BEVS' comments, your post was incorrect. I alluded to that in my post without directly telling you so. You may think you have a good idea what you're talking about but a quick search on the NZIS website should show you where you've gone wrong.
It does not help someone if they get conflicting or incorrect information when they're trying to work out the best way to immigrate. It can be confusing enough as it is.

By all means come on here and help but please double check what you're posting. I do it all the time-would rather double check anything I'm unsure about than just go ahead and assume I know for certain. I would also prefer to be corrected than have an incorrect post stand, I certainly would not class that as offensive.