Set up costs

Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice
Default Set up costs

How much money do you think you need to have in your pocket when you arrive in NZ?

This is assuming we will both be employed and renting, and that we will be in Auckland or Wellington (only places where I can get a job). Suburban living will suit us fine ie we're not looking for a chic pad in the city centre.

We will only really need to get a car and wait for the container to arrive, so we won't need to buy much but I'm sure there are costs I havent' thought of. Plus just us, no kids.

I'm not confident of selling our house, well not at a price we could stomach. So we may have to rent it out and rent in NZ until such time we can sell and buy. (If we can find a place that will let us rent with 2 big dogs)

However, what with the cost of getting over there it's all starting to get a bit scary and there might not be a lot in the kitty.

(If there is another thread on this let me know)

Last edited by Mrs Pointer; Aug 11th 2010 at 1:46 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:04 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Set up costs

How long is a piece of string?

Seriously though, if you're both going to be employed it shouldn't be too big a deal over the medium term.

We've factored in buying a car - insurance etc, covering our first months rent and a rental deposit. Food till the first wage comes in. If you're planning on renting in advance of your furniture arriving then you're either going to have to rent furnished, rent furniture or provide enough funds to cover temporary essentials. You'll need some money to cover possible MAF fees and you'll need contingency to spend a bit extra for the first few months while you re-purchase forgotten essentials.

The problem is that there's a lot of ways to skin the cat and your expectations might be different to mine.

For example, we are keeping costs down by living in a hostel initially. We will also only be buying a cheapo second hand car and we both need to go on a diet

WP
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Having lived on beans and rice as a student I'm sure we'll cope somehow. The dogs will probably eat better than we will.

House has only been on the market a week so probably a bit early to be disconsolate
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:02 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm, everyone loves my special recipe bean and rice 'thing'.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Mmmm, everyone loves my special recipe bean and rice 'thing'.
I've got very little money in my pocket for heading over, for my first 6 weeks or so until I hopefully get paid at the end of Sept I have about $7000.
I'm staying at a backpackers for my first 2 weeks (may be the only backpacker they've seen with 3 huge cases!) I'll be looking for a furnished rental as I'm not shipping any furniture and don't really have enough free cash to start furnishing a home from scratch. I'll also be buying as cheap a second hand car as I can find.

I'm crossing my fingers that I have enough to last till I start to get paid from my new job. I'm on my own so hopefully I should be ok as long as no big unexpected costs don't appear, although I do have UK credit cards a an emergency back up if I get totally desperate.

Or, the nice lady coming to view my flat in an hour might love it, buy it with cash and all my problems will be gone!