British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   sending in consultants reports (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/sending-consultants-reports-619908/)

Jan n Neil Jul 13th 2009 5:14 pm

sending in consultants reports

We were pretty unlucky in that we both got referred to the MA and both had to see consultants. My process was quick, I have the letter and it states great prognosis, no treatment etc, so I will be fine. Neil had some delays and now has to the famous liver scan tomorrow. His consultant is also very upbeat, but has to do a scan because NZIS requested it, though he reckons its very mild fatty liver with no treatment required. However, bottom line is Neil's letter won't be ready for another week :(

Here's the question: we are applying for temporary work visas (and PR in parallel, but that's a different story!!) and my job starts very soon. Neil is coming to NZ as my sponsored partner. Should we send the consultants' reports in together, or should I send mine now to speed up my process? Do they consider partners as an "item" when referring? Will they just sit on my letter as they wait for his anyway?

Hope this makes sense!!!

Yours, p*ssed off and sick of waiting, waiting,

Jan

BEVS Jul 13th 2009 9:41 pm

Re: sending in consultants reports

Sounds like a complete nightmare.

Yes. As your partner has applied for an open work visa on the back of your work visa application they, NZIS, will deal with the two cases in tandem as one case.

Therefore the NZIS officer & medical assessor dealing with the work visa case will wait for a positive result from both your meds before proceeding further with the application.

Jan n Neil Jul 14th 2009 4:25 am

Yes it has been a nightmare to be honest :frown: Thanks for that, I thought so, but just needed to check.

As part of the complete nightmare, Neil even had to wait over a week to see a consultant privately cos the consultant was ill!!!

However, my employer have assured me my job is safe: they would be pretty unwise to do anything else actually, as I was headhunted in an overseas search, and the whole search-to-interview process took them 6 months. They are an accredited employer, they have recruited other Brits, and they do know this sort of thing happens, they told me.

littleal Jul 14th 2009 4:46 am

Can I just add that it might be worth sending in yours as soon as you have it, in case it raises any further questions that might cause additional delay. Make sure you cross-reference everything so they don't get mixed up.

We had 3/4 of us with medical referrals with me referred to consultant over Christmas closure. We got there in the end. :fingerscrossed: for you.

Jan n Neil Jul 14th 2009 6:58 am

Originally Posted by littleal (Post 7750173)
Can I just add that it might be worth sending in yours as soon as you have it, in case it raises any further questions that might cause additional delay. Make sure you cross-reference everything so they don't get mixed up.

We had 3/4 of us with medical referrals with me referred to consultant over Christmas closure. We got there in the end. :fingerscrossed: for you.

I guess so but that's the frustrating part - or one of them :rofl: Mine says "no surgery required, no (expensive) medication required, excellent prognosis and no burden to NZ" and has carefully answered all of the MA questions. Doesn't get much more positive than that...

We'll be fine in the end I am sure, but in the mean time I resigned from my previous job (another long story, I was not made to feel I could stay, under the circumstances) so I have no income now. First time for 27 years, it feels weird......

But Neil is looking after me :thumbsup:

RobDon Jul 14th 2009 8:02 am

:fingerscrossed: for you.

Jan n Neil Jul 15th 2009 5:17 am

an update:

Neil had scan and he has the famous non-alcoholic fatty liver. As does 40% of the male population apparently......

He specifically said to the radiologist: is this going to keep me out of NZ? Good heavens no, was the reply.

FYI: our consultant said that the reading that was high was famously sensitive to weight and if N dropped a little it would almost certainly revert to normal. He is quite happy to write to INZ that this causes no burden, there is an excellent prognosis and no treatent required other than lifestyle change. He also explained that if left untreated (i.e. no lifestyle change) in rare cases the condition progresses to liver damage. Fatty liver however is NOT a permanently damaged liver and is totally reversible - there is no scarring or inflammation. The consultant also said in cases like these he would refuse point blank to do a liver biopsy as the mildness of the case meant that the risks during a biopsy were higher than those associated with the actual condition.

Neil has already lost some weight, as it happens, and our lovely consultant is even going to include that in his letter to show Neil's commitment :thumbup:

I know INZ HAVE to check everything, and we're OK with that, but its taken us ages ( and lots more money) to get this diagnosis, when our Panel doctor predicted it all along :(

I think that this is a common problem seen by INZ: even my own consultant had a friend emigrating to NZ as a dentist who had to go through all this, and was found to have fatty liver, before he was allowed in.

By my estimate, I shall now be 4-5 weeks late for my job, which I suppose isn't a disaster. It hasn't stopped them sending me stuff to work on already though :rofl:

bevissa65 Jul 15th 2009 8:20 am

Good luck with everything Janandneil :fingerscrossed: Its a pain waiting isn't it? We are in much the same situation except mine was cos I'm a cuddly bird (read fat!!) Bmi now under 35 but don't know if they will re-assess in our favour or wait until its even lower!! Hate waiting. I should have started work 6th July but luckily they are being ok about it. Will keep them crossed for you and hope you hear soon. Bevissa :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Jan n Neil Jul 15th 2009 8:28 am

If tis under 35 you will have no problem: that's the rules. :thumbup:

MnB Jul 15th 2009 8:41 am

Good news Jan & Neil :thumbsup: surely NZIS will now proceed and you'll soon be there :fingerscrossed:

Jan n Neil Jul 15th 2009 8:46 am

Been on the phone to my new employers this morning: they have now broadcast an anticipated date of about 24th August to my (new) staff, I think that could be reasonable, fingers crossed

But we still have a problem: Neils BMI is over slightly 35, but our super super lawyers (Lane Neave, top notch, highly recommended, Mark Williams has had things to say in the press in the past about BMI) are going to argue that for a temporary visa (which this is at the moment) INZ have to prove that Neil will cost them $25000 in two years. And they can't. Because apart from that there is nothing wrong with him, e.g. his cholestrol is lower than mine and I'm dead lickle

Details here
http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/visas_and..._detail-91.htm

Matewx Jul 15th 2009 9:59 am

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Let us know how u getting on!
x

bevissa65 Jul 15th 2009 10:02 am

Hi Jan, they seem to be so picky don't they? Its very frustrating when you are healthy-just cuddly:D I heard from CO today to say she only got the new info we sent last week yesterday:thumbdown: God knows how long the MA will take to decide. I hope you are right about the "rules" of BMI. I hope Neil gets his down a bit. Its only a few pounds that will put him under (weigh in early in the morning and don't eat or drink anything until after-worked for me-oh and 3 days of no carbs!!!!) Hope you hear soon:thumbsup: Bevissa

BEVS Jul 16th 2009 10:26 pm

That is an extremely good article.