Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Secondary Teaching - how much exp required?

Secondary Teaching - how much exp required?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice
Default Secondary Teaching - how much exp required?

Am considering retraining as a Chemistry teacher to make use of my degree, can any of the other teachers on here let me know what is the minimum amount of experiance I am likely to need to land a job in NZ, obviously I'm going to have to spend at least a year working here to complete my NQT status.
I'm going to be going down the PGCE route - so does the year I spend getting this count as experiance as it does with the City and Guilds/ NVQ type qualifications?
I noticed that on the immediate shortages list primary teaching needs a minimum of 3 years exp but there is nothing listed for experiance for secondary teacher on the long term shortage list.
Thanks very much everybody - sadly nothing else I already have skills in is going to get my family residency...
Giles
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Flan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really nice
Default Re: Secondary Teaching - how much exp required?

Hi Giles

Im a secondary school teacher - not sure how long you have to have been teaching for? I think it might just be that you get more points for more experience. I'm not sure. Also, as far as I am aware PGCE doesn't count because you wont have QTS until you have finished. So you will have to do another year to get experience - if its needed at all. I'm not 100% sure but hopefully someone else will come along with more advice! Also you could e-mail the NZ Teaching Council and ask them for info.

Flan
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:14 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sign Maker Giles View Post
Am considering retraining as a Chemistry teacher to make use of my degree, can any of the other teachers on here let me know what is the minimum amount of experiance I am likely to need to land a job in NZ, obviously I'm going to have to spend at least a year working here to complete my NQT status.
I'm going to be going down the PGCE route - so does the year I spend getting this count as experiance as it does with the City and Guilds/ NVQ type qualifications?
I noticed that on the immediate shortages list primary teaching needs a minimum of 3 years exp but there is nothing listed for experiance for secondary teacher on the long term shortage list.
Thanks very much everybody - sadly nothing else I already have skills in is going to get my family residency...
Giles

Hi Giles

Have a look at this link here http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/overseas-trained-teachers

It should be able to start you off in the right direction. There is also an old thread that is about the whole process ( if you haven't seen it already)
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=PGCE

Good Luck
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:28 am
Just Joined

guyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant future

Hi Giles,

We have just arrived in NZ and I am looking for jobs in Secondary teaching in/around Wellington. I am a Geography teacher with about 8 yrs experience and left the UK as a Head of Year. Why the background? I am looking hard for jobs and discovering that, in my opinion, regardless of how much experience you have, schools out here are a little more reluctant to take a shot. Having said that, I am doing relieving (supply) at Wellington College and am hoping to move that on the full time by Xmas (fingers crossed). Additionally, Geography is not a shortage subject while chemistry (or any science) is. I would suggest spending time in the UK getting QTS and doing your NQT year (and a little experience under your belt) before going through the hoops.

The difficulties that I have found are in terms of documentation. I have submitted all of my docs for NZQA assessment (took about 7 weeks) and have submitted the same docs to the NZ Teachers Council for registration. Each new job also needs sight of the same docs, although in a slightly more relaxed manner (ie you can start but we need them at some point).

One thing that has surprised me (and I dont know if anyone else has found this?) is that even the Yr 13 students seem very young ie not mature or worldly wise as kids in the Uk can be. Maybe its the Shorts they wear all year round...

I hope that this ramble allows you some help, and good luck with everything!

Guy
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of

why don't you investigate doing your PGCE in NZ (or Grad Dip of Teaching as they call it there). I know it's costly (because we looked into it ourselves) but we had this argument in defence of doing this:

1) you will already be in the country you want to be (as soon as January if you apply now)

2) you will have to study full-time but your partner can work FULL TIME (because what you are studying is on the absolute skills shortage list) so you will at least be able to have some income (and you can work part-time during your holidays etc).

3) you will qualify with a NEW ZEALAND qualification which will be more accepted by NZ schools and you will be more likely to get help finding employment through contacts with your University/work placements etc

Just an idea - I know it's not for everyone and it requires a huge amount of saving up but we did think about it. The reason we decided not to go ahead with it is because OH decided he didn't want to teach afterall (plus he would have also done Geography which is not in great demand over there) - but we would have done it had he wanted to teach. We just didn't want to go through the whole study thing for him to realise he'd made a mistake and then have to teach in a career that he didn't really want to be in.

Anyway, maybe not for you, but just thought I would bring it up in case you hadn't thought of it.