British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   RRV - timescales etc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/rrv-timescales-etc-761472/)

ellenarosemary Jun 12th 2012 12:11 pm

RRV - timescales etc

My husband is going over to NZ in July, myself and the children will follow once the house is sold. I have two queries, with regard to the RRV and any subsequent restrictions.

I understand we can all go over to NZ before our visa expires to gain PR, but was wondering:

(a) Once in NZ is there an amount of time we have to stay before returning to the UK? and
(b) Once back in the UK is there again a time limit before we have to come back to NZ -

Or is the above not relevant.

Thank you :)

Persephone Jun 13th 2012 12:51 am

Re: RRV - timescales etc

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10114419)
My husband is going over to NZ in July, myself and the children will follow once the house is sold. I have two queries, with regard to the RRV and any subsequent restrictions.

I understand we can all go over to NZ before our visa expires to gain PR, but was wondering:

(a) Once in NZ is there an amount of time we have to stay before returning to the UK? and
(b) Once back in the UK is there again a time limit before we have to come back to NZ -

Or is the above not relevant.

Thank you :)

You will not get an RRV, you will get a residence visa with travel conditions that last for two years. RRVs are no longer issued though essentially the way it works is the same. You need to activate the residence visa within 12months of it being placed in your passports, you do this by arriving in NZ.
There is no minimum amount of time you have to stay in NZ before leaving. You then have your travel conditions which allow you to return to NZ and become a resident again.

You would have to return to NZ within two years ie before your travel conditions expire. The 2 years begins when you activate your residency the first time. What will happen is that you will not be eligible for a Permanent resident visa at this point [same as the old IRRV] as you will not have fulfilled the conditions to allow this to be granted. Depending on how long you stay out of NZ you may also not be granted a 12 month variation of travel conditions. You may only be eligible for a 14 day visa which will severely curtail your travelling and could be a problem should you need to return to the UK in an emergency.

The way I read it is that you ideally would not want to stay out of NZ for more than a year in order for you to keep your travel conditions valid at all times as you would then fulfill the conditions for a 12m variation once your 2y conditions expire.
Personally I would not feel happy not having the relevant visa in my passport that would allow me to leave NZ at a moments notice and then return as a resident.

That is the worst case scenario as I'm sure you're not planning on staying away until your 2y travel conditions expire!!
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

ellenarosemary Jun 13th 2012 11:18 am

Thanks Persephone, sure you would be have the answers. This is a worst case senario as our visa is valid to mid March 2013 and I hope the house is sold well before then (if not will be pulling my hair out).

Just wanted to make sure about activating it and coming and going so to speak. Thanks

Persephone Jun 15th 2012 12:15 pm

Just hope that made sense. It got a bit waffly. Am willing to clarify anything that seems unclear.

That's still a long time to sell the house and if you do then you move over and activate at the same time and all will be good.
As I said even if you do then need to return to the UK then you do have two years to come back to NZ but not being here for a certain amount of time does affect which travel conditions you are eligible for later on.
Lots of luck:fingerscrossed: