British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   RRV and 'must enter NZ by...' Date (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/rrv-must-enter-nz-date-482039/)

cande Sep 18th 2007 8:45 pm

RRV and 'must enter NZ by...' Date

We have just been selected from the pool.

I can find no reference in the online policy manual that refers to a period of time to activate the RRV other than having to enter NZ within the initial 2 year period from the visa being granted.

The question is are the 'must enter NZ by..date' and the initial 2 year RRV timescale one and the same thing? If not what is generally the difference and where does it say this anywhere in the NZIS policy manual?

Thanks.

Wilma & co Sep 19th 2007 1:28 am

Re: RRV and 'must enter NZ by...' Date

I think that the RRV (returning residents visa) becomes active from the date the first residents visa(RV) is activated and a residents permit is stamped in your passport at customs. We had PR visas and had one year from the date of issue to enter NZ and activate our RV - then the RRV applies for 2 years (so that you can leave the country and get back in again for a period of 2 years). When that 2 year period has expired, the primary applicant can put in for an indefinite returning residents visa - you have to show that you have lived in NZ for a certain number of days in the previous 2 years, and there are other clauses but I'm not sure what they are - if this is granted it applies to all the people on the original application. In our case, hubby is the primary applicant and me and our 3 boys came along for the ride!!!:). It means that you can then come and go from NZ as you wish!
Hope that pile of words was of some use!! :confused:

cande Sep 19th 2007 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Wilma & co (Post 5327880)
I think that the RRV (returning residents visa) becomes active from the date the first residents visa(RV) is activated and a residents permit is stamped in your passport at customs. We had PR visas and had one year from the date of issue to enter NZ and activate our RV - then the RRV applies for 2 years (so that you can leave the country and get back in again for a period of 2 years). When that 2 year period has expired, the primary applicant can put in for an indefinite returning residents visa - you have to show that you have lived in NZ for a certain number of days in the previous 2 years, and there are other clauses but I'm not sure what they are - if this is granted it applies to all the people on the original application. In our case, hubby is the primary applicant and me and our 3 boys came along for the ride!!!:). It means that you can then come and go from NZ as you wish!
Hope that pile of words was of some use!! :confused:

Thank you for the response.

As I understand it, the situation you describe is this:

1. Residence visa is granted.
2. You have one year to activate the residence visa and on entering NZ a residence permit is stamped in your passport.
3. The initial 2 year RRV is then activated from that point - i.e. remains valid for up to 3 years from the original residence visa being granted.

In other words the residence permit and the residence visa are not one and the same thing and the residence permit is issued on your first arrival in NZ which can be up to 12 months after PR visa being granted.

I think that is what the following extract from the online policy manual says:

1. Once an applicant has been issued with a residence visa or granted a residence permit, they are issued with their first RRV without having to apply or pay a fee.
2. First RRVs are to be made current for 2 years from the date the first residence permit is granted.
3. All first RRVs issued at the same time as a residence visa will become current from the date the first residence permit is granted.

The key thing is the length of time from the granting of the original residence visa to taking up residence proper. If, as I assumed, the initial 2 year RRV ran from the granting of the residence visa this represented a 2 year window. If the residence visa and the residence permit are 2 different things and the latter is received on entering NZ by the 'must enter NZ by...' date which is 12 months later, then the window is extended to 3 years. Following that, the policy regarding subsequent RRVs and associated residency requirements is quite clearly articulated in the NZIS policy manual.

I am now going to sit in a darkened room because my brain hurts!

Wilma & co Sep 19th 2007 9:24 pm

Don't worry!! Your brain will have overloaded several times before you get here! :blink: :thumbsup:

P2L Sep 20th 2007 4:05 am

Originally Posted by cande (Post 5327261)
We have just been selected from the pool.

I can find no reference in the online policy manual that refers to a period of time to activate the RRV other than having to enter NZ within the initial 2 year period from the visa being granted.

The question is are the 'must enter NZ by..date' and the initial 2 year RRV timescale one and the same thing? If not what is generally the difference and where does it say this anywhere in the NZIS policy manual?

Thanks.

Have you or your OH got a job offer ?? :unsure:

Just pondering your post. It is possible that if there is a job, you may have a Condition 18A clause put on your visa.

cande Sep 20th 2007 10:32 am

No points for job offer for me or OH (or any additional criteria). selected with 130 points based on age/work experience/qualifications/english language ability, etc.

Having dug around on the NZIS website, the Immigration Act 1987 section 18A appears to refer to remaining in employment with a relocating company for a set period of time after a residency visa is granted.

I am assuming that everything should be fairly straightforward for application as everything we are claiming points for can be easily verified/documented at the formal application stage. Having not claimed points for a job offer I am also assuming that as long as NZIS are satisfied with the application/supporting documents/medicals/police checks there should be no reason to grant anything other than a residency visa without any specific requirements?

P2L Sep 20th 2007 10:38 am

Originally Posted by cande (Post 5333453)
No points for job offer for me or OH (or any additional criteria). selected with 130 points based on age/work experience/qualifications/english language ability, etc.

Having dug around on the NZIS website, the Immigration Act 1987 section 18A appears to refer to remaining in employment with a relocating company for a set period of time after a residency visa is granted.

I am assuming that everything should be fairly straightforward for application as everything we are claiming points for can be easily verified/documented at the formal application stage. Having not claimed points for a job offer I am also assuming that as long as NZIS are satisfied with the application/supporting documents/medicals/police checks there should be no reason to grant anything other than a residency visa without any specific requirements?

Cande do NOT assume anything in this process, and also please be aware that as you have no job offer, this process will be very much slower than those that do.

cande Sep 20th 2007 10:50 am

I was aware that there were a lot of assumptions in there!

However, having been selected from the pool without a job offer, what grounds/what is is the likelihood of a WTR visa being granted or some other outcome other than the granting of residency visa without restrictions?

P2L Sep 20th 2007 11:08 am

Originally Posted by cande (Post 5333546)
I was aware that there were a lot of assumptions in there!

However, having been selected from the pool without a job offer, what grounds/what is is the likelihood of a WTR visa being granted or some other outcome other than the granting of residency visa without restrictions?

No idea whatsoever!!! :rofl:

Having been through, and survived, the immigration game, we learnt from a very early stage, never assume, presume or expect. NZIS will do what NZIS do best........... ponder, investigate, question and then decide.

Do not expect any hint of an outcome, even when you ask the question directly and no amount of cajoling, badgering or bribery will spped the sysytem up, even when you have a job offer

Good Luck and keep us posted with your progress.;)