British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   RRV - help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/rrv-help-723397/)

bolton1 Jul 3rd 2011 2:24 am

RRV - help

Crikey we have now been here long enough to change the RRV ( cant believe how time flies ) I need practical step by step - idiots guide ( I am a bit dim it has been said !!) to what we need to do. I have got the forms and dont know what to tick before I have even looked at section A !!. I am sooo out of practice in the immigration stuff so help needed - please . xx

Scousebird Jul 3rd 2011 8:08 am

Re: RRV - help

Originally Posted by bolton1 (Post 9471591)
Crikey we have now been here long enough to change the RRV ( cant believe how time flies ) I need practical step by step - idiots guide ( I am a bit dim it has been said !!) to what we need to do. I have got the forms and dont know what to tick before I have even looked at section A !!. I am sooo out of practice in the immigration stuff so help needed - please . xx

If I could help you I surely would!

Hope to have news this month so will let you know!

Persephone Jul 3rd 2011 11:31 pm

Hi Robdon!
I'm fairly certain you've been in NZ for over 184 days out of the last 2 years so you will be applying for a Permanent Resident Visa as the RRVs are no longer issued. It is pretty much the same as an indefinite RRV. Different terminology but little has changed in terms of what the visas actually are.
On the form you tick the first box:

I hold a resident visa, or I have held one in the last three months, and I am applying for a permanent resident visa.
You must complete sections A, B, C, D, and sections G-K.
When the changes came in anyone with a RRV or visa that was not expired was deemed to hold the new equivalent. So that is a resident visa with travel conditions lasting two years for your first RRV.
Other than that it is all fairly straightforward. You include everyone who was in your original residence application.
You only need to tick one box for Qu D1, probably the top one!
You don't need to show anything to prove that you have been in NZ for the time specified. Big Brother has it all on their computer!
I went into the immigration office and got mine in person last December. All very easy to do.
Hope this answers your questions...
P:)

bolton1 Jul 4th 2011 10:28 am

Thanks for reply - we have PR and havent been out of NZ at all but if we want to leave for a holiday we need a RRV to get back in don;t we ? and I can't find any info re cost but I know there will be !

Persephone Jul 4th 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by bolton1 (Post 9474042)
Thanks for reply - we have PR and havent been out of NZ at all but if we want to leave for a holiday we need a RRV to get back in don;t we ? and I can't find any info re cost but I know there will be !

You do. The permanent resident visa is basically the same as an indefinite RRV so you can come and go as you wish. The PRV is an IRRV and resident permit all in one.
The previous resident visa, resident permit and 2 year RRV [which you were issued when you got PR to start with] is now called a resident visa with travel conditions. This is what NZIS will deem you to have at the moment so you now apply for a PRV as you have fulfilled the conditions by being in NZ for enough time. Your 2yr RRV has to have expired before you can apply for a PRV as you must have been in NZ for 2years or over as well as being here for over 184 days in each year. If you apply before the two years are up [even if you already fulfill the conditions] then you will get a visa with 1 years travel conditions [equivalent to a 1 year RRV].

There is a thread I wrote at the top of the immi section explaining this a bit more. They have changed the names of the visas but in terms of what they actually mean then very little has changed.
It cost me $160 in December though of course the price may have increased since then...:sneaky:

johnht Jul 7th 2011 11:01 am

Hi, hope you don'y mind me piggy backing on the end of this thread. I'm just trying to get clear in my mind the expiry dates of the resident's visa. I've just returned from a recce to NZ having entered with my resident's visa and got the entry stamp in my passport. I think from what I've read that as long as I am in NZ before the date of my entry stamp + 2 years then I'm ok to take up residency. I would need to get an extension to the travel conditions if I wanted to take a trip out of NZ after that time and before I qualified for a PRV but I wouldn't need to 'renew' the RV if I stayed in NZ, i.e. it's only the travel conditions that expire, not the visa itself.
Can you tell me if I've got that right? I hope we get there well before 2 years but thought I'd check.
Many thanks, John.