British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   RRV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/rrv-760912/)

ONAWING Jun 7th 2012 12:04 am

RRV

Can anyone please clarify:

I am a NZ citizen.

My wife is a NZ resident
we arrived here in 2007 and have been here for five years without leaving once.

My wife was granted a residence visa (in 2006)
and returning resident's visa RRV (in 2006)
this RRV expired 2008.
she applied for a renewal in 2010 and
was granted a returning resident's visa RRV IN 2010.

this new RRV says the following:

"date of issue *** 2010
must not arrive after: indefinite

the holder may travel to NZ and on application shall be granted a residence permit.

conditions: please apply for transfer of this visa when the passport expires.
"

my questions are:
1. it says "the holder may travel to NZ and on application shall be granted a residence permit."
But she already has a residence permit!!
If she were to leave NZ at any stage, or for any length of time, would she have to reapply for residency?

2. why would she need to reapply for residency if she has residency and a returning resident visa which is 'indefinite'

3. what is an indefinite RRV. what does it entail?

please help to clarify it is v confusing!!

BEVS Jun 7th 2012 5:06 am

Re: RRV

Please read HERE.

Persephone Jun 7th 2012 10:46 am

Re: RRV

my questions are:
1. it says "the holder may travel to NZ and on application shall be granted a residence permit."
But she already has a residence permit!!
If she were to leave NZ at any stage, or for any length of time, would she have to reapply for residency?

Your residence permit stays valid UNTIL you leave NZ. Once you leave it is expired/defunct or whatever you want to call it. Your RRV allows you to be issued with another permit on returning to NZ. That's how it worked. As long as you had a valid RRV when you arrived at the border then immigration would stamp a new one in your passport. No need to reapply for residency. Once you have an indefinite RRV then you can stay out for as long as desired and then take up residency without any further application being necessary.

However this has now changed. Permits no longer exist but a holder of an IRRV will be deemed to hold the equivalent in the new terminology [which is a permanent resident visa-PRV] There is no need to do anything until she gets a new passport. You just apply to transfer the visa when the passport expires, no new application necessary.Your wife can leave NZ and return without any problems as long as she has an IRRV or a PRV in her passport.

If your passport contains an indefinite RRV: Your indefinite RRV is deemed to be a permanent resident visa. When it is time to transfer your residence status into a new passport, the new label will be a permanent resident visa.

2. why would she need to reapply for residency if she has residency and a returning resident visa which is 'indefinite'
She doesn't, see above

3. what is an indefinite RRV. what does it entail?

See above!
Does this may things more clear or just more confusing;)