British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Risky move? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/risky-move-907544/)

les_cott Jan 5th 2018 12:37 pm

Risky move?

Hi all,

I am eventually looking to move to New Zealand after having lived and travelled there for 2 years on a working holiday visa. For various reasons I did not make the push to gain a work visa whilst I was there and so my WHV came to expire and I moved back to the UK. I am now in the process of getting myself into a position whereby I become qualified in a medical field that is on the long term skills list. I have a couple of queries about this.

Firstly, how easy is it to gain a work visa from the UK, I.e a job offer of a permanent full time role from a nz employer without then being able to see the way you work?

Secondly, it may take me a good 4 or 5 years to gain the skill and experience to apply for work in be field I want in nz. This would put me at around the 32 years of age mark. Would this lower my chances of gaining residency?

I don’t want to go through all the rigmorale o training myself up, to hear at the end that the dream of making a better life for myself has been a little bit of a waste of time (although I do very much want to do the career I have chosen, I’d say that 70% of my decision boils down to being able to move away)

Thanks all!!

Bobogib Jan 5th 2018 6:49 pm

Re: Risky move?

Originally Posted by les_cott (Post 12411646)
. This would put me at around the 32 years of age mark. Would this lower my chances of gaining residency?

I hope not. I'm 35 now and looking to move in around 18 months if things go to plan.

All I can see it doing is putting you into the next bracket for points for the visa. Which IIRC is only 5 less.

Sure one of the more knowledgeable members will be on once they wake up properly.

les_cott Jan 5th 2018 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bobogib (Post 12411943)
I hope not. I'm 35 now and looking to move in around 18 months if things go to plan.

All I can see it doing is putting you into the next bracket for points for the visa. Which IIRC is only 5 less.

Sure one of the more knowledgeable members will be on once they wake up properly.

Ok because I hear a lot of scare-mongering when it comes to age, and I was sure it was only a working holiday visa that wasn’t given to those over 30, but I did hear different things. How does the points system work when it comes to age? Does a year older mean a deduction of 5 points?

Bobogib Jan 5th 2018 7:13 pm

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ator-smc-28aug

This is the NZ government site. Shows what you are likely to score. 20-39 is 30 points. Next bracket 40-45 is 25 points and so on. That's just for your skilled migrant expression of interest application. You need over 100 to submit an EOI but realistically if you haven't got over 160 then you will never likely receive the invite to apply. This means in most cases a job offer is needed.

Not sure how, or even if, age effects residency if you go across on a temp work visa. Sure soneone else will have that knowledge.

MrsFychan Jan 6th 2018 12:05 am

age will just affect the points you can claim until you reach 55, so you have some time to go.

Basing your training to move to another country in 5 years time does seem an odd thing to be basing your training on, but I do see you want to mostly pursue this occupation but if there is something else you want to do then I would say do that. Not enjoying your work is not going to be a good basis for life where ever you live.

Also as we have all seen, whats on the list today can be removed tomorrow so to assume it will still be on the list in even a years time is a but foolhardy.

les_cott Jan 8th 2018 11:45 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12412129)
age will just affect the points you can claim until you reach 55, so you have some time to go.

Basing your training to move to another country in 5 years time does seem an odd thing to be basing your training on, but I do see you want to mostly pursue this occupation but if there is something else you want to do then I would say do that. Not enjoying your work is not going to be a good basis for life where ever you live.

Also as we have all seen, whats on the list today can be removed tomorrow so to assume it will still be on the list in even a years time is a but foolhardy.

OK thanks for the clarification RE age. I know it is an odd roundabout way to choose a career, but I do definitley want to do the occupation I have chosen aswell. I am making sure that I will still be happy pursuing it if it means I will be working in London for the rest of my life. The dream would be though to be able to train and work here for a few years and then emigrate. But we will see

j19fmm Jan 8th 2018 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by les_cott (Post 12413700)
OK thanks for the clarification RE age. I know it is an odd roundabout way to choose a career, but I do definitley want to do the occupation I have chosen aswell. I am making sure that I will still be happy pursuing it if it means I will be working in London for the rest of my life. The dream would be though to be able to train and work here for a few years and then emigrate. But we will see

Not sure what part of medical you're going into, but if it happens to be physiotherapy then I know for sure that one of our local practices actively recruits from the UK a lot! There are lots of physiotherapy places over here :-)