Return ticket needed?

Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Scalla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Return ticket needed?

Hi there,

We are moving to NZ on a temporary work visa on the Skilled Migrant track. We are applying for a stay of less than 2 years (in the first instance), in order to by-pass the need for police checks. Does anyone know whether we need to show a return ticket to the UK on arrival at NZ customs, or would a single suffice?

Thanks, Scott
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:33 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return ticket needed?

Originally Posted by Scalla
Hi there,

We are moving to NZ on a temporary work visa on the Skilled Migrant track. We are applying for a stay of less than 2 years (in the first instance), in order to by-pass the need for police checks. Does anyone know whether we need to show a return ticket to the UK on arrival at NZ customs, or would a single suffice?

Thanks, Scott
Thought you needed a Police Cert for any visa more than 12mths???

Unless specifically waived on the visa sticker you will need to show evidence of onward travel (ie a ticket) and funds. They are waived seperately.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 11:54 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a police check if your visa is for less than 24 months.
I take it you mean an Essential skills visa rather than Skilled Migrant

As far as I know you can't book flights 2 years in advance but I may be wrong there. So you haven't a choice in terms of buying a return or a one way. However I would check this with NZIS and your airline.

The check as to whether you have a ticket out of NZ is done before you board the incoming flight and not once you arrive at NZ immigration. So if there are any issues with this then you will not be allowed onto the flight out of the UK.
I have entered NZ three times as a visitor and my onward flight plans were checked every time. Also saw someone at Sydney airport a few months ago who was refused a boarding pass until he hastily booked a flight out of NZ. They are strict about this as it is the airline that gets fined for allowing someone to fly to NZ who doesn't have a valid visa or outbound flight.

You should be ok but I would double check just for peace of mind.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Scalla is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks very much, will certainly check with INZ before leaving