British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Return or one way?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/return-one-way-680508/)

4pommes Aug 10th 2010 6:31 am

Return or one way??

Hi Guys,

Ok....we are planning to lodge our EOI next year and have 140 points with short term skills shortage points.

From what I gather we have automatic selection..up to a fortnight wait. Then we fill in our pr paperwork, medicals etc and send it off. Any approx time scale from this stuff being sent off to pr being granted?

Also, we have to buy plane tickets as far in advance as possible (cheaper!). Do we err on the side of caution and get return or just get one way as pr should be virtually guaranteed????

Thanks for reading!

Lydia

Genesis Aug 10th 2010 6:52 am

Re: Return or one way??

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 8765600)
Hi Guys,

Ok....we are planning to lodge our EOI next year and have 140 points with short term skills shortage points.

From what I gather we have automatic selection..up to a fortnight wait. Then we fill in our pr paperwork, medicals etc and send it off. Any approx time scale from this stuff being sent off to pr being granted?

Also, we have to buy plane tickets as far in advance as possible (cheaper!). Do we err on the side of caution and get return or just get one way as pr should be virtually guaranteed????

Thanks for reading!

Lydia

Kate had a job all lined up. We were awaiting our defo PR (was agreed in principal). At the airport as we tried to leave the UK on single tickets the airline noticed that we did not have our PRs on hard copy..ie written in ink..only in principal AND we did not have return flights. So we were not allowed to fly. Urgent phone calls from Heathrow and quite a few hours later had us with a fax from NZIS allowing us to fly on single tickets. What a mare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrisjb Aug 10th 2010 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 8765600)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for reading!

Lydia

A Return would work out cheaper usually if you plan to visit UK within next 12months..
Otherwise I guess a one-way makes sense.

By the way if you open account at ANZ bank you het 50kg luggage when you fly out on one way ticket with a valid visa!!

http://fly.emirates.com/CUGO/CUGOLan...5c7383e8402176

4pommes Aug 11th 2010 7:23 am

will look into this...thanks!!

DennisBergkamp Aug 11th 2010 8:12 am

Originally Posted by chrisjb (Post 8767019)
A Return would work out cheaper usually if you plan to visit UK within next 12months..
Otherwise I guess a one-way makes sense.

By the way if you open account at ANZ bank you het 50kg luggage when you fly out on one way ticket with a valid visa!!

WOW
is that with Emirates only? that 50kg deal
would save a bit of money on shipping

chrisjb Aug 11th 2010 8:44 am

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp (Post 8768488)
WOW
is that with Emirates only? that 50kg deal
would save a bit of money on shipping

Yes, it is deal between Emirates and ANZ. However Emirates were one of cheapest airlines anyway.

http://www.anz.com/unitedkingdom/en/...nz-associates/

londonescapee Aug 11th 2010 9:14 am

Hello,

If you book direct with the airline online you can do a 1 way flight. If you book one way through a travel agent you need to provide proof of your residence status (this was our experience with Trailfinders).

Once at check in airlines will not let you board a one way flight unless you have proof of residence or that you are on your way out again. We experienced this when I first went to NZ - we went via America and wanted to go back via Singapore. I had a one way flight with Air New Zealand out and was going back with Singapore Airlines. They nearly didn't let me board my flight to New Zealand at LA because I hadn't thought of printing my e ticket back to the UK and had to go into the back room and show the guy on my email that I had the ticket! And even then, they weren't sure because the confirmation email from Singapore Airlines was so short they eventually rang them to check out my booking :eek:

As a complete aside, Christchurch Airport was the only airport I have ever actually had my hand baggage allowance questioned ie after you've done your shopping at the Duty Free. These poor Japanese girls had to pay extra to have a couple of plastic bags moved to the hold :rofl: and the flight was EMPTY!

But sounds as if you won't have any problems :) and most airlines offer a good migrant baggage rate - mine is 40kg with Singapore Airlines. Good luck :fingerscrossed:

j19fmm Aug 11th 2010 12:40 pm

If you buy a return ticket and then don't need it can you get a refund?:huh:

4pommes Aug 11th 2010 5:29 pm

refunds are liable to a £300 each charge!

j19fmm Aug 12th 2010 8:02 am

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 8769777)
refunds are liable to a £300 each charge!

WTF !!!!:ohmy:

viv jones Aug 17th 2010 7:18 am

We flew out with Air New Zealand on a return ticket (visa hadn't come through and we needed to show proof of intentions to return)....no intention of returning though and got a full refund when we arrived...no financial penalties... I checked with the airline that this was possible before we left amd they were really helpful. You have to get a certain ticket but not difficult to arrange.
P.S. Visa did come through as expected so we didn't break the law!!!

simonsi Aug 17th 2010 9:48 am

Originally Posted by viv jones (Post 8782362)
You have to get a certain ticket but not difficult to arrange.

Aren´t refundable tickets more expensive to start with though?? Just thinking they´ll get you one way or another...:thumbdown:

viv jones Aug 18th 2010 1:36 am

I think in general yes but we managed to pick these up from Air New Zealand (having explained the situation to them) in January this year and it was not significant. Well worth it to get through customs with no hitches!
I seem to remeber we were booking tickets with about 3/4 weeks to go so maybe that makes a difference as to what is left?

littlelollipop Aug 20th 2010 12:37 pm

Is there any info confirming the 50kg baggae allowance on Emirates website - sorry - had a look and can't find anything.

Has anyone had any experience of connecting to domestic flights in NZ with the extra luggage allowance. They can be a nightmare. When we returned to UK - 5 years ago on one way tickets we were slightly over and got charged $150 on our domestic flight - we were travelling with 3 small children, all of us very emotional and it was 5am in the morning - the check in man was not very pleasant or helpful.

We are returning to NZ in a couple of months. I am leaving with the children before my husband and wonder what would happen this time if I check in at the domestic terminal very tired with 3 children and 200kg of luggage!!!

So many things to consider!!

littlelollipop Aug 20th 2010 1:26 pm

Just another thought - if we are travelling on NZ passports - we are not 'emigrating'. I have been looking at other threads and it seems that you must have a unstamped visa in your passport to qualify for any extra baggage allowance.