Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Retirement and retirement visa help please

Retirement and retirement visa help please

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retirement and retirement visa help please

Can you be removed from New Zealand or your visa not renewed if you come down on a retirement visa and in time become elderly and infirm? I'm trying to work out on what grounds you would have this type of visa rescinded. We have a situation whereby it isn't an ideal time to move for various reasons, one being that the kids are still in education in really good secondary grammar schools, and time is running out for us as my husband is 53. However, my husband's (who is desperate to go)mantra has always been that he doesn't want to grow old and die in the uk, so a compromise would be for us to come when the kids are self-sufficient. However, we know nothing about what life is like there for the elderly.

Last edited by Damson; Apr 23rd 2016 at 10:41 am.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement and retirement visa help please

Which visa do you intend on using to get in NZ to live ?
I can't see that you would be eligible for a retirement type visa as you say your kids are still in education etc.
To enter as a parent retiring into NZ a child already has to be here who has been a resident for a minimum period etc.

Parent

Expressions of Interest

Requirements

If you have permanent resident status - so you've either got a type of resident visa or permanent residency visa then you cannot be removed on the basis of health as when Immigration considered you for that visa, they consider you for the remainder of your lifetime.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:20 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

If you do not have children here on PRV's you will only be able to apply for a 2 year temp visa, which can be renewed as long as you keep the criteria required in place.

Temporary Retirement Category

"You must nominate investment funds and/or assets equivalent to at least NZ$0.75 million and undertake to invest them in New Zealand for a period of two years.

You must also nominate NZ$0.5 million for maintenance funds, and be able to show an annual income of NZ$60,000 at the time of your application.

You will need to be able to provide evidence showing that your investment and maintenance funds and/or assets are owned by you or jointly by you and your partner."

unless you are on another visa???
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for this. It's a case of planning for the future and not now. We are in the uk with no visa at present. Youngest is 11.5 so will be dependent upon us until 18, after which time he can paddle his own canoe. He can either come with us and sort his own visas to that time (with myself and the other half on a retirement visa) or stay in the uk. It's a sort of Last Chance Saloon (as in 3 years time because my husband will be 56 and all usual permanent residency doors then shut) This seems to be a way of seeing the kids through their education, but not then having to stay in the uk for the rest of our lives.

My husband has ruled this type of visa out because of it not being permanent and us not then having security. He therefore wants to go now so we can get a permanent one. I'm in the middle though as I really think that my son's best interests are served in staying in the school he's in here. He worked bloody hard to get in the school, which is in the top 50 in the country (quite a challenge as he has adhd), is thriving and they "get him". He needs a lot of mental stimulation and discipline and I'm not sure he would get the level he needs in New Zealand. That's not to dismiss the entire NZ system of course and I've only got "Google" as my source of information so I would be interested to hear I'm wrong or if anyone would be able to recommend a school(s).

As such, I'm digging around now so that I can maybe offer a solution to everyone. I'm easy as long as the family are ok. Cheers.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:25 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

so what visa do you intend to apply for to get you out?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

The temporary retirement one in a few years time when it's just me and hubby, or a skilled migrant one if we all go now. The concern if we go for the former in a few years time is the grounds that they wouldn't renew as each temporary one runs out (i.e. If one gets cancer maybe?). So on what grounds would they NOT keep renewing temporary retirement visas?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
If you do not have children here on PRV's you will only be able to apply for a 2 year temp visa, which can be renewed as long as you keep the criteria required in place.

Temporary Retirement Category

"You must nominate investment funds and/or assets equivalent to at least NZ$0.75 million and undertake to invest them in New Zealand for a period of two years.

You must also nominate NZ$0.5 million for maintenance funds, and be able to show an annual income of NZ$60,000 at the time of your application.

You will need to be able to provide evidence showing that your investment and maintenance funds and/or assets are owned by you or jointly by you and your partner."

unless you are on another visa???
Only problem with this of course primary applicant needs to be 66 or older, 13 years off for the OPs husband and anything can happen in 13 years, visa terms could change or be withdrawn let alone personal circumstances could change.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damson
The temporary retirement one in a few years time when it's just me and hubby, or a skilled migrant one if we all go now. The concern if we go for the former in a few years time is the grounds that they wouldn't renew as each temporary one runs out (i.e. If one gets cancer maybe?). So on what grounds would they NOT keep renewing temporary retirement visas?
as per the immigration site to renew same investment conditions apply plus maintaining a health insurance policy which given i would assume a policy could possibly have some restrictions post a cancer diagnosis may or may not be difficult to maintain. Also given the temp nature of the visa technically any policy could assume repatriation back to UK for any really serious condition.A permenant visa is really the better option given the uncertainty of the retirement visa.

Last edited by PB65; Apr 24th 2016 at 8:28 am.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

You may wish to consider the Investor (Investor 2 Category) visa shown on the following page:

Migrant Investment Instructions

This is initially a four-year visa, but can lead to PR.

Have you been to NZ? It would be nice to know why your husband is "desperate" to go.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 8:58 am

also the likely hood of him gaining a skills visa and then actually getting a job. what does he do?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Damson
sorry I don't think anyone can advise on that as we have no idea what will happen re the visa from one week to another. There was a gentleman last year who was on a recurring work visa and had been here a number of years renewing it and then on the last renewal they refused to because of his weight and knee problem.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teejaydee
You may wish to consider the Investor (Investor 2 Category) visa shown on the following page:

Migrant Investment Instructions

This is initially a four-year visa, but can lead to PR.

Have you been to NZ? It would be nice to know why your husband is "desperate" to go.
bit of a stretch though 1.5 million nzd invested in nz for 4 years plus 1 million settlement plus 3 years business experience.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PB65
bit of a stretch though 1.5 million nzd invested in nz for 4 years plus 1 million settlement plus 3 years business experience.
Agreed, but the Temporary Retirement Category that you recommended earlier requires NZ$0.75 million to be invested, and also NZ$0.5 million for maintenance funds, and an annual income of NZ$60,000.

None of us knows the OP's financial situation, so I think it is fair to suggest another option, and in the case of the Investor visa, one that leads to PR.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Agreed, but the Temporary Retirement Category that you recommended earlier requires NZ$0.75 million to be invested, and also NZ$0.5 million for maintenance funds, and an annual income of NZ$60,000.

None of us knows the OP's financial situation, so I think it is fair to suggest another option, and in the case of the Investor visa, one that leads to PR.
i didnt recommend it but never mind , that was the OPs original option/ suggestion. End of day I think might be a consensus if the OP qualifies to look at some sort of skilled visa but we do not know what occupation involved is plus the OPs husband age is creeping up but a way off 66 for the retirement category.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

i didnt recommend it but never mind , that was the OPs original option/ suggestion.
Sorry, my mistake

End of day I think might be a consensus if the OP qualifies to look at some sort of skilled visa but we do not know what occupation involved is plus the OPs husband age is creeping up but a way off 66 for the retirement category.
Agreed, there are many missing pieces of the jigsaw at present.