Resident Visa- work options

Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resident Visa- work options

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if new migrants arrive with a resident visa (2 years) under the skilled migrant category, are they allowed to take up jobs easily and is there any restriction on employment choices for such migrants?
Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice
Default Re: Resident Visa- work options

Unlike my original work visa which clearly say the job and employeer, I believe the residency visa, while still temperory is more flexible and does not restrict you. I believe that with it you have many of the advantages of citizenship, such as access to Kiwisave and healthcare. It is the main route to an NZ passport for many.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:15 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by citybanklondon View Post
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if new migrants arrive with a resident visa (2 years) under the skilled migrant category, are they allowed to take up jobs easily and is there any restriction on employment choices for such migrants?
Thanks
We started with a work visa that restricted me to a specific job and the conditions of that stipulated that if I lost or wanted to change jobs then I would need to apply to change that visa. This was granted for 3 years.

We applied at the same time for residency (I used the points from my new employment to ensure selection), which after 2.5 moths was granted.

This was originally granted with the condition to remain in that specific job for at least 3 months. However we waited a few more weeks before we paid the migrant levy and supplied evidence that I had worked the job for 3 months. They were then able to grant the residency without the employment conditions because I had already met them, which means I am now free to work wherever I like.

However, if you are granted residency offshore without a job offer or having existing employment here, you will likely not have any employment conditions on your visa, but you should check with immigration.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Yes JPA we have no conditions of work attached to our residency visas, we can work, choose not to work, study or start our own business etc. However, I am looking ahead and want PRV sooner rather than later and one of the conditions is that if we enter NZ we can apply for PRV after 12 months if:

* The principle applicant has spent 41 days or more in the last 12 mths in NZ

* Has purchased a house / or has worked for 9 months

So we intend to buy a house on arriving and get PRV in 12 months time and then there are NO restrictions whatsoever on coming & going ! yippeee
Old Nov 26th 2013, 4:57 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to re read the requirements for a PRV again...

I take it you're not planning on living in NZ long term, if you are then why the rush to get a PRV?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
I think you need to re read the requirements for a PRV again...

I take it you're not planning on living in NZ long term, if you are then why the rush to get a PRV?
why not?....don't trust the NZIS to change the rules again, if one can get PRV sooner rather than later, then simply why not? It gives the holder much more flexibility
Old Nov 26th 2013, 6:31 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

why not?....don't trust the NZIS to change the rules again, if one can get PRV sooner rather than later, then simply why not? It gives the holder much more flexibility
Again? The rules haven't changed for a long time though the terminology has. There's no real difference between a PRV and what you have to fulfil to gain one and the old IRRVs and what you had to fulfil to gain one of them.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:21 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused, not difficult

Ok so we got visa through skilled route. Husband had already done the 3mths so we had no travel restrictions (?) but as far as I'm aware we still have to wait the 2 years to get the "full" visa and have to of been in the country most of the time, is it 184 for each year?. we have already bought a house.

Whats this 12mths visa thing??? and whats the difference between the 3mths thing with travel restrictions lifted and the 2 yr thing apart from having to pay out more money?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

From here -

RV2.5.20 Base established in New Zealand
  1. A principal applicant has demonstrated a commitment to New Zealand if they have established a base in New Zealand. A principal applicant is considered to have established a base in New Zealand if:
    1. each and every member of their immediate family who was included in their application for a resident visa has resided in New Zealand for at least 184 days in the two year period immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made; and
    2. they have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of at least 41 days in the 12 monthsimmediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made; and either
      1. they own and maintain a family home in New Zealand; or
      2. they have been engaged in full time continuous genuine employment in New Zealand immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made.
  2. For the purpose of these instructions applicants are considered to own and maintain a family home in New Zealand if:
    1. they have purchased a residential property in New Zealand within 12 months of their first day in New Zealand as a resident and still own that property either solely or jointly with members of their immediate family who were included in the application for a resident visa; and
    2. they and/or members of their immediate family who were included in the application for a resident visa occupy that property.
  3. Evidence of owning and maintaining a home in New Zealand includes but is not limited to items in the name of the applicant and/or members of their immediate family who were included in the application for a resident visa such as:
    • mortgage documents or title deeds to the residential property
    • rates demands
    • home and contents insurance cover
    • invoices for telephone, electricity, gas, or water
    • documents showing that household effects have been moved to New Zealand
  4. For the purpose of these instructions, applicants are considered to have been engaged in full time continuous employment in New Zealand if they can produce evidence of genuine full time paid employment in New Zealand for a period or periods amounting to at least 9 months in the 24 months immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made. Employment involving payment by commission and/or retainer is not acceptable. Self-employment is acceptable if they can produce evidence of genuine lawful active involvement in the management and operating of a business in New Zealand which the principal applicant has established, purchased, or has a shareholding in.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:26 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Exactly MrsF!
Two years required to get a PRV
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:33 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

ahh so Citybank is reading it wrong, the 12mth is AND and not Or.

cheers me dears know I could rely on you
Old Nov 26th 2013, 9:07 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Attached Thumbnails Resident Visa- work options-hit-nail-head.jpg  
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

If you own a house in the 1st year or residing in NZ and have been living in NZ for at least one year then an application for PRV can be made to NZIS and is quite likely to be approved.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

If you own a house in the 1st year or residing in NZ and have been living in NZ for at least one year then an application for PRV can be made to NZIS and is quite likely to be approved.
No, I can assure you from personal experience that your application will be returned to you and you will have to apply again AFTER the 2 year period. It is not possible for you to have met all the criteria required.

For example: 1.each and every member of their immediate family who was included in their application for a resident visa has resided in New Zealand for at least 184 days in the TWO year period immediately preceding the date the application for the permanent resident visa was made; and
Old Nov 27th 2013, 3:32 am
Queen of the Underworld

You seem very sure about this despite it being different to what the INZ website says. Can you provide a link that proves it please?

Just so we're not talking at cross purposes, what is your planned timeline? I believe you haven't activated your Resident visas yet, when are you planning on doing that and when do you plan to apply for a PRV after that?
Where is your wife going to be living, UK or NZ?