Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

RESIDENCY OR WTR? WHAT'S THE DECIDING FACTOR?

RESIDENCY OR WTR? WHAT'S THE DECIDING FACTOR?

Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Sambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant future
Default RESIDENCY OR WTR? WHAT'S THE DECIDING FACTOR?

Hi there!

Yipee!! Our residency application is currently being assessed by our case officer, so we hope to hear in the next few months whether or not we will be offered residency - fingers crossed!

I work as an account manager at a design agency in auckland (long term skills shortage), have 200 points, have worked there for 3 months now, got the job within 1 month of arriving in nz... as long as everything goes well... does anybody have any advice as to whether immigration will come back to us with an offer of residency? or are we more likely to get offered a work to residency visa?

i assumed we would be offered residency, as i thought you got a WTR visa if you didn't have a job, to enable you to stay in nz long enough to find work...

anyone got any advice?

Last edited by Sambellina; Oct 9th 2010 at 6:34 am.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:16 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RESIDENCY OR WTR? WHAT'S THE DECIDING FACTOR?

Congratulations!

I would put money on you getting PR rather than WTR though obviously I don't work for NZIS...
WTR tends to be granted to those without a job or those who cannot register prior to starting work. You are working so registration isn't an issue, if you need to be registered then you should already be so
There seems no point in giving someone already working a WTR visa as these seem to be issued under the SMC for those who have not convinced NZIS of their 'commitment' to living in NZ or as I said those who cannot register prior to working.
I got PR without having a job offer
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant futureSambellina has a brilliant future
Default Re: RESIDENCY OR WTR? WHAT'S THE DECIDING FACTOR?

Aah thanks for the reply Persephone!

That's put a smile on my dial this morning! Will tell the other half when he wakes up! Yey!

Your reasoning is the same as mine, it doesn't make sense to me that we might get a WTR visa if I'm already working...

there are no guarantees though i suppose, so we'll just have to see what happens!

Will keep you posted!

And well done you for getting PR without a job! You must be highly talented!