Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Residency vs Permanent Residency question

Residency vs Permanent Residency question

Old Oct 2nd 2014, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Residency vs Permanent Residency question

Now I've read the sticky at the top of the thread and I understand that as regards residency rights according to immigration I would be just as resident once I get my visa with whatever travel conditions as someone who has been here a couple of years and has a PR visa with no travel conditions.

What I am not sure of is if the general Kiwi public understand that. A lot of stuff I've come across refers to things being resticted to 'permanent residents' which technically I would not be until my travel conditions were removed. I am unsure if I can successfully argue that I am in fact resident and claim the rights to that stuff (mostly finance/mortgages) or if I have to wait two years to be able to qualify for it.

Does anyone have any advice or experience?
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 5:22 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency vs Permanent Residency question

You would be resident with travel conditions. the travel conditions are for 2 years and to have them removed after that time you have to adhere to certain conditions and of course pay a fee. if you don't adhere or met the conditions it just means that if you ever leave after the initial 2 yrs you have no right of reentry and would have to apply for another visa. I believe you can get the travel conditions extended but you would have to check on that. we got a mortgage offer within a month of landing on the visa with travel conditions
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 6:23 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to bank they said we can apply after we get residency. We are on a working visa. But they said if we had enough of a deposit we could by on work to residency visa
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I think your reading between lines that dont exist.
You get your residency visa and two years later providing you have been in New Zealand
as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in at least one of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months

That allows you to do an awful lot of travel outside of nz should you wish without it effecting your status
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:51 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really not sure what you are asking. Are you on the a temporary work visa? we got mortgage on skilled work visa before the two year less than six months and I know people on work to residency who have mortgage being here only six months.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Basically I am asking if ordinary Kiwis understand that in terms of being resident in NZ there is no difference between a residency visa with travel conditions and visa without them.

Specifically it's from the Welcome Home Loan people who say in order to qualify for one you must be a permanent resident of NZ. I asked them if that meant I had to just be resident or have no travel conditions and they looked at me blankly.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:31 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Means the same to them. As long as you stay in country as a resident you will have restrictions lifted.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Z...nent_residency

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Oct 4th 2014 at 2:34 am.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone I get the process from my end, just wanted to clarify it from theirs.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 5:28 am

actually we had the same sort of thing when we changed the kids school as the passport had gone over the 2yrs and they said the visa had expired, which technically I suppose it had but it didn't mean we had to leave the country or we were over staying just that we needed to uplift to remove the travel condition bit to make it easier to see what visa we had for people who don't deal with these sort of things on a daily basis.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Basically I am asking if ordinary Kiwis understand that in terms of being resident in NZ there
is no difference between a residency visa with travel conditions and visa without them.
why should they, they dont need to know about visas, they are kiwis
do you understand all the finer points of all the visa types available for people wishing to live in the UK

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Specifically it's from the Welcome Home Loan people who say in order to qualify for one you must
be a permanent resident of NZ. I asked them if that meant I had to just be resident or have no travel conditions and they looked at me blankly.
Hardly surprising really, all they want to know is have you got a PR visa, yes or no !!
The rest is irrelevant and you are making it overly complicated

Old Oct 5th 2014, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Justcol, firstly no I don't expect people to understand if they're not directly involved and I am not implying, as you seem to suggest, that they should. What I was doing was checking that my understanding of the visa categories was correct so that if and when I was asked about my status I could be sure my answer was also correct.

Secondly no its not that simple as the visa referred to by immigration as permanent is only issued after two years. Before that it is simply called residency regardless of the fact it is functionally the same when living in NZ , hence my question.

Finally as before thankyou to you for your help as always.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

but you are infering that people will ask what type of visa you have....they wont.
Withing a few months of arriving here 6 years ago I had bank accounts, credit cards,
mortgage, had changed jobs (to one that stated "must be permanent resident") and on the
application there was no mention of visa type, nor was there at the interview.

I know people who have come over into police and Dept of corrections jobs and they are securing these jobs
with (as you call it) only a residence visa
Your over thinking things, nobody cares what type of visa you have as long as you have a visa.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:48 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts are that if you have a resident visa then that is enough. That resident visa allows you to stay in NZ permanently. The permanent bit of the PRV is for the travel conditions rather than the residency (even though obviously your residency is also permanent if you leave NZ). Your travel conditions might expire but your residency doesn't as long as you remain in NZ!
It could be argued that someone on a resident visa with travel conditions is more likely not to flee the country than someone with a PRV Why go to the trouble of getting residency if you're going to leave and throw it away....

I suppose it could confuse those who see PRVs and also resident visas and do not understand the difference. However if they're making decisions based on which visa you have then they should know what the difference means.

How much easier was the old system of Returning Resident Visas and Resident Permits?