British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Residency and Permanent Residence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/residency-permanent-residence-735214/)

dotty3 Oct 10th 2011 10:05 am

Residency and Permanent Residence

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help with this query. We have just been granted Residency with Travel Restrictions status which lasts for 2 years, and then says we can apply for Permanent Residency. I thought we were going to get PR once our EOI had been accepted and because I had job on long term skills shortage list. For citizenship we note that we have to have 5 years PR, does this mean in effect we have to have 7 years here before this is granted, or does our residency with travel restrictions count towards this?

Persephone Oct 10th 2011 10:18 am

Re: Residency and Permanent Residence

I was under the impression that your residency with travel conditions counts as time lived in NZ as a resident. Strictly speaking you do not hold a Permanent Resident Visa though so I'm not sure as to the answer. If they go by the book then it would be 7 years before you could become a citizen, need to look into this further but bed is beckoning:zzz::zzz: However grant of a residents visa allows you to remain in NZ indefinitely so this may count. It did count when I moved over nearly three years ago...Wondering if different departments haven't synchronised their terminology.

Everyone applying under the SMC gets a resident visa with 2y travel conditions which can be converted to PR once the travel conditions expire as long as you fulfill the conditions for PR to be granted.
NZIS changed the terminology last November-the rules and the conditions attached to the visas have not changed; just the names of the visas.
Have a look at this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705733

Please ask if it doesn't make sense, I know there are some bits on there that could be explained better...:lol:

dotty3 Oct 10th 2011 10:28 am

Thanks for quick reply. I don't think I am still clear about whether the 5 years permanent residency requirement for citizenship would include the 2 years residency we would have completed with travel conditions? I think from what you are saying it would be counted?

Thanks

Persephone Oct 10th 2011 10:31 am

I had a quick look at the Dept of Internal Affairs website and it does say 'Permanent Resident Visa':confused:
Will try and look tomorrow when I'm less sleepy-had a busy day at work:(

Persephone Oct 11th 2011 6:03 am

Had a look at the Dept of Internal Affairs website again, it says:

To be eligible for a grant of New Zealand citizenship you must have New Zealand permanent residence (or be an Australian citizen or permanent resident). Permanent residence means that Immigration New Zealand has allowed you to live in New Zealand permanently. You are required to have:

1. Been present in New Zealand;
for at least 1,350 days with a Permanent Resident Permit issued by Immigration New Zealand during the 5 years immediately before you make your application; and
for at least 240 days with a Permanent Resident Permit issued by Immigration New Zealand in each of those 5 years; and
2. Fully met any conditions imposed by Immigration New Zealand in regard to your Permanent Resident Permit.
For a start 'permits' are no longer issued, everything is called a visa now so strictly speaking a Permanent Resident Permit does not exist:unsure:
It does say however that permanent residence means that NZIS has allowed you to live in NZ permanently which a resident visa with travel conditions does allow you to do.
I'm thinking they haven't updated their terminology - I hope so anyway:sneaky:

dotty3 Oct 12th 2011 5:35 am

Thank you so much for your time in looking at this for us. I had wondered if it was that the terminology hadn't been updated with the changes.

We are loving NZ :-)