Residency for partner

Old Feb 11th 2020, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Carpe Diem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency for partner

Hi All
If I get a skilled migrant visa , could you please tell me what the process is once I’m in NZ , eg do I have to work for same employer for 12 months and then apply for residency after 2 years ? Also is it difficult for my partner to get residency once there , do you have to go through the whole proof of relationship etc again , does he have to be in full time work etc ? I thought that once you got a skilled migrant visa then you and a partner had residency but it seems it’s not that simple
thanks for any insight
Old Feb 13th 2020, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency for partner

Since the majority of SMRV applicants need to have an NZ skilled permanent job offer there will be a condition on the visa related to working. You will have to abide by the conditions relating to your work and yes you may have to remain working for that employer for a certain period of time before you can have that condition removed....not sure if it will be 12 months ? Could be more. Could be less ?
Once you have held SMRV for at least 2 years you can apply for PR.
Assuming your partner is on the same SMRV application as your partner then no it won't be difficult. You can add a partner and any dependents on to an SMRV application. It doesn't just have to be for the individual.
If you or your partner are applying for ANY visa that any person is relying on Partnership then you'll have to prove it, but you can use the same evidence plus additional evidence as required, but as I said I would assume he is on the SMRV application so you wouldn't have to do it all again. You wouldn't have to do it after 2 years when applying for PR.
Common mistake that people make is they think Skilled Migrant is PR. SMRV is a permanent class visa that will allow you to remain here indefinitely but it has travel conditions. The travel conditions will be there for two years. Once they expire you must remain or you won't get back in to NZ on that visa. To remove the travel conditions after two years you apply for PR then you can come and go as you please indefinitely.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Carpe Diem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Since the majority of SMRV applicants need to have an NZ skilled permanent job offer there will be a condition on the visa related to working. You will have to abide by the conditions relating to your work and yes you may have to remain working for that employer for a certain period of time before you can have that condition removed....not sure if it will be 12 months ? Could be more. Could be less ?
Once you have held SMRV for at least 2 years you can apply for PR.
Assuming your partner is on the same SMRV application as your partner then no it won't be difficult. You can add a partner and any dependents on to an SMRV application. It doesn't just have to be for the individual.
If you or your partner are applying for ANY visa that any person is relying on Partnership then you'll have to prove it, but you can use the same evidence plus additional evidence as required, but as I said I would assume he is on the SMRV application so you wouldn't have to do it all again. You wouldn't have to do it after 2 years when applying for PR.
Common mistake that people make is they think Skilled Migrant is PR. SMRV is a permanent class visa that will allow you to remain here indefinitely but it has travel conditions. The travel conditions will be there for two years. Once they expire you must remain or you won't get back in to NZ on that visa. To remove the travel conditions after two years you apply for PR then you can come and go as you please indefinitely.
Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify that . Could I just ask what the travel conditions are ?
Old Feb 13th 2020, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem
Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify that . Could I just ask what the travel conditions are ?
For the first 2 years (from the date of visa activation) you can come and go as you please in to and out of NZ.
Once the 2 years is up the travel condition expires meaning if you leave NZ the Resident Visa would also expire meaning you couldn't use it again to return so effectively cannot get back in to NZ. This has caught many people out in the past.
The way around it is to apply for PR, which you can do after holding RV for 2 years and assuming you meet one of the five criteria, which you should do unless you have spent a lot of time out of NZ in that initial 2 years.
PR does not have any travel conditions.