Residency Application -Time Frames

Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

MarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to all
Default Residency Application -Time Frames

Hi there, apologies if this question has been answered already.I'm just looking for an idea for guidelines on time to process applications.I have been working in New Zealand for 2 years on a skilled migrant work visa. A few days ago I submitted my EOI with a score of 210 points (my current job is in an area of absolute skills shortage, I have many years experience in the industry and a Level 7 qualification to match).From what I understand, with a score >140 my EoI will automatically be selected from the pool in the next selection (20th January). Is this correct?Further to this, how long does the process take? (Assuming that I complete my full application well with no reason to come back with further queries.)From what I read online, a case officer is assigned to your file 6-8 weeks after EoI selection from the pool, at which point you are invited to submit a full application. After submission of full application, it takes 6-9 months depending on your situation and how much checking INZ have to do. That would suggest to me that the absolute minimum from selection of EoI to full visa approval is around 7/8 months, however I have a friend who was in a similar position to me (around 200 points) who had her Visa granted as quick as 6 weeks after EoI approval. Can this be true? Surely it can't happen so fast?The reason I ask is that my partner is moving here with me later in the year (around August) and I imagine the process of getting her a partnership visa will be easier once I'm a resident. Thanks very much for your help everyone!
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:56 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency Application -Time Frames

Originally Posted by MarkMcKeown
I imagine the process of getting her a partnership visa will be easier once I'm a resident.
Um, not quite sure what you mean by easier. You have to provide evidence to the NZIS that your relationship is genuine and stable.

My husband and I had to do this as I am married to a New Zealander and I have a family category visa which is how I got permanent residency.

Are you wanting to go down the same route for your partner ?

As circumstances have meant that you have lived apart for some months, that might not be looked upon favourably by NZIS. Your partner may have to get an alternative visa then live with you in a genuine and stable relationship and then you may have to reapply for a partnership category visa.

Please don't take issue with anything I've said, I'm just sayin' like.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 17th 2016 at 11:00 pm. Reason: Genuine and stable
Old Jan 17th 2016, 11:22 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

there is no easier route, just different ones. why don't you stick her on the EOI you have just submitted, you can alter it until it is selected I believe.

all the evidence will still have to be gotten doing it now as doing in later on and will probably be cheaper to do it now. you just need to make sure that you can prove that your lives have been as one for at least the last 12mths. so utility bills/bank account/ are in joint names or that if not in joint names you have recognised mail in both names going to the same address. show fb chats, holiday bookings/photos, party invites, council tax bills and HP in same names etc (you get the idea). maybe you or her sending money to each other etc. NZI need to see a combined life and commitment.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:24 am
Just Joined

MarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to allMarkMcKeown is a name known to all

Thanks, yes we realise all this but it is a complicated matter. My partner studied here in NZ on a scholarship arrangement between New Zealand and Chile. As per the terms of that scholarship, she is not able to apply for a visa of any kind in any other country until August 2016, except for short term visitor visas. Therefore, I can't put her on my application now, as we would be breaking the terms of her scholarship and would have to pay back her scholarship fees in full ($76,000 NZD).

We know that we will have difficultly with the 'living 12 months together' part but we will hope to fight it as best as we can considering we couldn't be together because of the terms of her scholarship. We have been together for over 2 years and have spent time living together both here in NZ and in Chile, but not 'consistently' over a period of 12 months. I can provide FB history and a multitude of flight tickets proving that we have been spending a lot of time living together over the past 2 years. Maybe (and it's a big maybe) they will make a consideration for us due to the circumstances.

So basically, my partner wants to move here with me in August when she is legally able to do so. Until then, she cannot apply for any kind of visa so likely in August she will come here on an initial 90 day visitor visa and hope to get a more permanent visa arranged whilst she is here.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:50 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

ahh thats a pain you can't include her now.
I guess you realise if she enters on a visitors visa she will need a onward flight out of NZ after 90 days.

It has been done before with people living in separate countries, so Immigration are sensible on these matters, its just the need to produce good and enough evidence to satisfy them.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

I saw that someone else has just applied for a Partnership visa and will keep updating their progress to give a guide to other people about the process. That seems like a good idea so I will do the same here with my Residency application. I will post updates here and also update the original post. So far;

16th January 2016 - Expression of Interest submitted (210 points)20th January 2016 - Expression of Interest selected from pool
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by MarkMcKeown
I saw that someone else has just applied for a Partnership visa and will keep updating their progress to give a guide to other people about the process. That seems like a good idea so I will do the same here with my Residency application. I will post updates here and also update the original post. So far;

16th January 2016 - Expression of Interest submitted (210 points)20th January 2016 - Expression of Interest selected from pool
you could also put into your signature and then can be seen on every post you make.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

AndyWatson1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just received my Residence Visa, the longest part for us was to get all the documentation (police certificates, birth certificate and the other bits), I handed my application in on October 15th and I got a formal decision on 3rd November and my passport was returned to me on 19th December (a very quick process)